GAME DAY Lions at Stampeders: What's new, Pussycat?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Woh-ah, woh-a-woh, woh-ooooohh...

With all due apologies to croonin' Tom Jones, which Lions team will show up tonight?

Will it be the club led by the legendary Wally Buono in his CFL swansong season, who as a pride of carnivorous cats are let out of their cage, hungry for a fresh kill, and out to prove that they are worthy of their coach's confidence in them, while being determined to see that when Wally at last surrenders the lion-tamer's whip, he exits the ring for the final time on a high note?

Or will they be the disinterested band of alley cats who have masqueraded throughout the opening third of this season as mostly "roadkill" for the league?

Or maybe an appetizer-sized helping of the former, followed by a main course featuring the latter?

I'd expect they'll come out at the start of the contest as a group who are motivated and want to send a message to the mighty Stampeders.

Problem is, I don't think they're very good, and enthusiasm aside, I don't think any motivation they might have is sustainable.

At least, that is, if the Stampeders are themselves focused on what is in front of them, and don't take the Lions lightly.

'Cause even a house tabby can inflict a nasty bite or a horrendous scratch upon its master if its apparent domestication is taken for granted...;)

I expect that Dickenson will have the boys schooled well enough about what damage could result from an unwary or incautious handling of the usually toothless Lions.

And if that's the case, as the game wears on, I would anticipate the Stampeders will begin to steamroll the hapless alley strays, and the boys in red and white will feast on a meal of "flat cat, served as a single, or in a stack"...:D

Calgary by 15. ;)

Woh-ah, woh-a-woh, woh-ooooohh, indeed! :p

Go Stamps Go!

TM

Tags:
    Addicted likes this.
  2. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

Let's all hope the stamps make it 7-0.
    Right now I think the B.C lions could beat the
    Detroit Lions.:D

3. AllSportsCalgary

I am hoping that the Stamps start hard (I personally don't really care too much about early points for) and come on better and better as the game proceeds.

I think the Lions will start well, then remember who they are, lose focus, and preen disinterestedly as the game gets out-of-hand.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  4. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

7-0 perfect! Great job stamps.

5. Addicted

Addicted Member

There, that's more like it! I had to PVR the game and go to a wedding last night, so I just finished watching it now......and I like what I seen! To date I haven't been that impressd with the offense, they've been getting the job done, but I expected more and last night they delivered more! BLM looks sharp and very mobile in the pocket. He used his legs and time to open up receivers, especially speed guys like Jordan. Once we get our run game back in order (When do we expect Jackson back?), or offense should be very tough to stop. Speaking of tough....defence!! Once again looked fantastic.

Now on to the bye week, then back in my home province of Sask. I'd love nothing more than a major beat down for the Riders and then get to listen to the fans all week on the forums and call in shows. Its some serious entertainment.

6. AllSportsCalgary

OMG! I know! Personally, my least favourite team is the Eskimos, but there is very little on-line as entertaining as watching the Rider fans at RidersFans eat their own when they lose. The most amazing part to me is how many still preach that Jones is the messiah.

7. strujas

strujas Member

Not sure what I enjoy more...a Stamps victory or a Riders loss...

Tundra Mustang and Addicted like this.
  8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

But when you get both in the same game, well, it's like...Christmas in July! :D

TM

strujas and Addicted like this.
  9. strujas

strujas Member

Absolutely...I'm also good with both in the same week!

Addicted likes this.
  10. strujas

strujas Member

Riders just released Duron Carter...should we sign him???

11. Addicted

Addicted Member

There has got to be a good reason Jones just outright cut him. I’m guessing we hear of some legal issue in the next couple days. Something has to be up, or he would have tried to trade him at a minimum I’d think.

12. AllSportsCalgary

Reports say they shopped him, but no one bit. And why would you? Carter is not worth the trouble, or even a 7th round draft pick, when you can wait a bit, and get him for free. But not here. The ball gets spread around too thin in Calgary because we already have solid, solid receivers top to bottom. The non-targeted receivers are expected to work, and work hard on every play, and Carter mostly works when he knows the ball is coming to him. Run plays, he rarely even engages.

#12 AllSportsCalgary, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:23 PM
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 11:21 PM
  13. AllSportsCalgary

As I think about it more, I don't really think we need another receiver. But Carter is a definite talent, with a definite shelf life. It is hard to judge, because he seems to be selfish, lack even a glimmer of introspection, and does not take ownership for his actions long term. Yet the Mad Scientist moved him to defense, and left him there, and at least for a while DC did the job to the best of his ability, seemingly with out complaining too much. The fact that, in general, he was not that good at it, is not DC's fault. I wonder if a team brought him in to play wide out, with the understanding that it was ONLY for the balance of this season, and the very most he could earn would be a series of no guaranteed money, 1 year contract(s) for the next and following season9s) depending on on-and-off field performance, if that would keep him in check. Although that does not sound like something he would be very happy signing to.