Lions Sign Elliott

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, May 23, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Joey Elliott has joined the Lions to compete for the #2 spot behind Travis Lulay. Big move by Wally here.

2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Rids - I think its a stopgap for Wally. The fortunes of the Lions ride with Lulay. None of the bomber tragedies are going to be more than training camp fodder. Wally and Benevides will be increasingly frustrated by Elliott's overall lack of detail and preparation. However, he does have an above average CFL arm, is only 26 or 27 and most importantly he's got a fresh start in front of him with the most successful CFL franchise of the last 5 years. Lulay only has a marginally stronger arm than Joey but he's far more elusive, doesn't let the odd sour play effect him and obviously is a really well-prepared and conditioned professional. With all that, Lulay couldn't slither by Kevin Glenn in the penultimate CFL game last season! In a perfect world Wally would have loved to keep Mike Reilly around for a couple more years before discarding Lulay. However, Reilly was too attractive a package and once he got to FA status, Wally had a backup QB problem

3. Rids

Rids Member

Bronks I think it's an expansion draft move.

I liked the group of QBs the Leos were heading into camp with and I think the addition of Elliott + the expanded PR just keeps that group together for another year for sure.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We'll see. Elliott is erratic. He never impressed me as a starter. But then, he won't be a starter in BC so he's found a good place.