Post Game Liske's Log: Resilience

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Liske, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Liske

Liske Member

Resilience:
    re·sil·ience
    rəˈzilyəns/
    noun
    noun: resilience; plural noun: resiliences

1.the ability of a substance or object to spring back into shape; elasticity.
    "nylon is excellent in wearability and resilience"
    2.the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.
    "the often remarkable resilience of so many British institutions"

In the wake of the tragedy in Ottawa, a city, and indeed a country, came back from adversity to unite and carry on.

On the gridiron, where two scheduled games of football were played, resilience was also on display. The Ottawa Redblacks unfortunately could not bounce back from a Montreal Alouette lead in front of their city's fans, and lost the game.

In Calgary, however, the resilience shown by the horsemen reflected that of the nation. Down by 12 points after three quarters, and still reeling from a passing clinic put on by a washed up, second string 41 year old Riders quarterback named Kerry Joseph, the Calgary Stampeders found a way to claw their way back into the game. The Stamps went on to score 25 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to add yet another highlight come-from-behind win to their season. A season now seemingly defined by the word resilience.

Offense

Nik Lewis also has resilience. Just when you thought this might be Nik's last season, he bounces back to show he's still got it. Like Canada, Nik has his own Nation, and he ain't gonna let anything (including age, or injury) stop him. Nik caught his 800th career pass as one of 9 catches on the night for 98 yards, leading the offensive charge by doing what he does best: turning second downs into first downs. With his mother in attendance, this was Nik at Night....all night. The next closest receiver was rookie Eric Rogers with 5 catches for 72 yards in an impressive CFL debut. (For some reason, Rogers' stats don't show up on the CFL webpage http://www.cfl.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/12801) Bo Levi Mitchell looked calm in the pocket and racked up 231 yards passing and rushed for 23 yards of his own. It's interesting that BLM has yet to pass for more than 300 yards in a game this year. But that hasn't stopped him from winning. It's been a total team effort this season.

Defense

The Stamps' secondary continue to get shredded by the pass. Kerry Joseph (remember him?) stepped onto the field and proceeded to throw for 322 yards. Chris Getzlaf, as usual, called McMahon Stadium his second home by hauling in 6 bombs for 106 yards. Robb Bagg also had 6 receptions for 85 yards. But the Stamps' defense were nothing if not, well...resilient. When it looked like Riders' Keith Toston was going to run wild, some half-time adjustments were made, limiting the butter-fingered running back to 72 yards on the game. The Stamps' defense managed to wear down the Riders and force Kerry Joseph into making poor decisions. In the last 5:18 minutes alone, Joseph threw 3 interceptions and threw away the Riders' lead. Jamar Wall and Brandon Smith were in the right spots at the right times to capitalize on Joseph's mistakes.

Special Teams

Rene Paredes' attempted 50 yard FG on the Stamps' opening drive was wide, but El Matador bounced back in the fourth quarter with an 18 yard FG and a long kick-off that pinned the Riders deep. Rob Maver looked more steady as a holder in this game. Downfield kick coverage was good, with no break-out punt or kick returns by the Riders.

Turning Point

Down by a dozen points with just over 12 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Bo Levi Mitchell hit running back Jock Sanders with an 11 yard TD pass. The two point conversion failed, but Rene Paredes' ensuing kick-off, combined with a Riders holding penalty pushed the Greenies back deep into their own territory. Surprisingly, the Riders rushed on the next two plays and were swarmed by Juwan Simpson and the Calgary defensive front four. This lead to a Riders safety, and a huge swing in momentum. The Riders thereafter had no answer for Calgary's next 25 points.

Goat Play of the Game:

Bo Levi Mitchell threw a costly interception directly into the hands of Riders' linebacker Brian Peters for a pick six in the second quarter that could have rattled the young quarterback's confidence. In fact, that play appeared for all the world like it would signal a Stampeder loss. Instead, BLM came back out in the second half and looked unfazed. Resilience.

Looking Ahead:

Winnipeg
    BC

Expect to see Jon Cornish playing in only one of these games. Which one, I don't know. I would also expect to see Charleston Hughes in only one of these games, even if he's healthy for both. Look for some gadget plays thrown in as the Stampeder coaches open up the playbook. I would think a few players from the practice roster will see action in at least one of the final two regular season games as well.

#1 Liske, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    Tags:
  2. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Great post Liske!

3. Addicted

Addicted Member

Great post!

So in the next couple of games I'm thinking we will see BLM start and play, at most, a half, then be sat for Tate. I think we will see the same of Cornish. Is it not better to give our starters (if healthy) a little game time each game then to flat out sit them for one and play the other?

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

You'd think the last home game for the crowd's sake but since winnipeg is out there seems no need.

Playing at BC would keep them fresher and give them a feel for playing there november 30. The game will matter to BC whatever happens with edmonton so for one half at least they could play like it matters.

5. Liske

Liske Member

You could be right. They could possibly also play their A team for just half of each remaining game, although that might stretch their declared official game day roster too much, I'm not sure how that works. I know they do that in the preseason when the roster count is higher.

Either way, I'd love to see them win out and finish 16-2.

6. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

Great post Liske. I like your thoughts on the gadget plays, especially special teams. it's something to get on film so Edmonton or BC have to practice against it, wasting time in their practices and meeting rooms.

AS for how much the starters play in the next two games, I'd like to see the starters come out and post a big number in a hurry, get their work in, and then go sit down. I think that playing some every week is beneficial, to keep them sharp. as long as no one hets seriously injured. the BIG IF... we don't need a repeat of last year when our season died a horrible death in BC place on the last game of the season.

7. Rids

Rids Member

This is the time where you will see the contract bonuses play calling show up. Henry Burris is a master at this, knowing what plateaus guys needed to get a bonus.

With that in mind I think Cornish plays against Winnipeg with their weaker run defense in a bid to get 1,000 yards and sit out against BC.

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I dunno. No team with that record ever played in the grey cup I believe. Cue Taylor Swift's latest album '1989'.

9. Flash

Flash Member

A Swiftie reference? Not sure you can do that on a CFL message board.

10. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think you can use the term "Swiftie" either. :redcard:

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Like a quickie but ....... Make up your own punch line , too many to choose from.

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

"...but Taylored to fit every size" ;)

TM

13. Flash

Flash Member

A Music City slip...