Locker Room Blog: Cornish

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Cornish: Frustration is no excuse
    http://stampeders.com/article/cornish-f ... -no-excuse

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We all make mistakes, say things we regret. God knows, I've made an ass out of myself lots of times. So, we should all cut Cornish some slack. Forgiveness & understanding is what we should be doing now.
    Just as an aside, my son goes down to Portland, OR to work with qb coach Greg Barton. A few years ago, he had a media class where all the high school qbs were asked pointed questions by Greg or his son Taylor. In the States, it's way more common to have a tape recorder or tv camera stuck suddenly in a players face after a big win or loss & emotions are riding high. So, this was done to teach young HS qbs what to say in certain situations. They had a camera & mic set up to make it more realistic. pretty funny to watch some of the answers. Some kids handled it better than others.
    The scenario my son had was this. They just lost the game on 2 picks & a fumble... He was pressured all night, was sacked, hit when he threw & fumbled the ball. He was upset with the loss. The question to him was something like,
    "Your offensive line struggled all night. The defense was in your face the entire game & you had 3 turnovers. What did you think of your protection?"
    I don't recall the answer my son gave as it was 5 years ago but I do know the answer as it was discussed at length. As a team leader at the qb position, always take the blame off your teammates shoulders & put it on yourself, even if you know deep down in your heart you did nothing wrong. You can curse the OL under your breath, be angry at them for missing their blocks but you put the responsibility on yourself as a qb... So, a quick response to that question could be,
    "Yes, the OL had a hard night but I wasn't doing my reads properly & I held onto the ball too long so I got sacked & threw 2 picks. I fumbled because I didn't protect the football. I made my offensive line look worse out there than they really were. It's all on me."
    You protect your teammates that is what my son was taught down in Oregon.

3. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I admire Jon for his honesty! And he was right what needed to be said obviously was not said by a coach. It is a team effort and if someone is not doing the job then frankly they need to be replaced. The last three games that effort by the oline is just bloody awful. So what has changed since the first game of the season?

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No, it wasn't right. Cornish plays the game he doesn't scheme, design plays or coach. He has no right to criticize one or a group of players on his team. That's for Huff to do, not him. His job is to play, worry about his assignments & that is it. Think Joff would have said what he said? Not a chance. Read Greg Peterson's blog in this section... He is a former player & he knows what he is talking about.

5. tvp2003

tvp2003 Member

Just my two cents, but Cornish should learn to keep his mouth shut and play football. I get the apology; I get the remorse, but if I have to read/hear another comment about his rushing yards or his rushing average, I'm getting of the Cornish train entirely. NOBODY CARES that your average is now under 7 yards a carry. NOBODY CARES about how many yards you got. Football is the ultimate TEAM game but that means offence, defence, and special teams. The goal is to win, not get "x" number of rushing yards.

He had a chance to watch Joffrey -- the franchise's all time leading rusher -- do it for not two, not three, not four, but FIVE seasons; for such a smart guy Cornish is you'd think he would have learned something. FYI Mr. Cornish -- Joffrey had six full seasons of 1200+ yards, and I don't ever remember him talk about his yards or his average. Cornish on the other hand, hasn't even been a starter for a full season. Makes you miss how good Joffrey really was for this team...

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

I would love it f we signed Joff again. It couldn't hurt.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Too many legal issues right now, Russ.

The Stampeders won't want to be near the media glare that's on Joffrey right now.

Otherwise, yes.

TM

8. Liske

Liske Member

We all miss Joff. But he wasn't getting it done last year either. It's a scheme thing, and maybe we also don't have all the right mix of hoggies right now. Plugging Joff back into this offense isn't going to solve the problem.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Joff unfortunately has legal issues as TM says. The only other answer at RB is to bring in other backs.

10. tvp2003

tvp2003 Member

LOL -- no way Joffrey comes back, even without the legal issues. As productive as he was in his prime, I think there is a reason why nobody else in the league picked him up this year. I also see a trend towards the smaller, quicker RB's as well, versus guys like Joffrey who didn't have great top end speed but could find the holes well and pass block.

If Cornish can't do it, there's a reason why we have Coker as his backup. For the record though, I think Cornish has great skills and potential; I'm just not very impressed by his attitude over the first 5 games of the season as Calgary's "feature" back.

11. Rusty

Rusty Member

How about C Roberts. We need some kind of a spark. If we don't light it up against Hank and the Cats it's time to look at something new. I think Corndog and the O-line will be I've 100 yards on the ground the next game.