Locker Room Blog: Glenn

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

GLENN: A SPECIAL NIGHT

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I have to say the guy's grown on me as the season's gone on.

As fans, when we've had the Flutie's, the Garcia's, the Dickenson's, and the Burris's we've been lucky enough to have had playing quarterback for this franchise over the last 2 decades, it's easy to overlook someone who doeasn't put up the gaudy numbers.

Kevin Glenn is more of a throwback at the position to the days when we had a guy like Jerry Keeling at the throttle.

He recognizes he has limits, and he (mostly) plays within them.

He doesn't take many risks, and he won't often be playing with fire, and living on the edge.

For that reason, he won't give you many spectacular plays, either, but he'll try hard not to beat himself.

He's surrounded by reliable playmakers, including a solid backfield in Cornish and Coker, which means he doesn't have to put the team on his shoulders, and carry them all by himself.

And he's smart enough to know that.

It's clear that Dickenson's been working with him to find a groove in the Calgary offensive system, one within which he can play to his full potential.

That 'potential' won't be at a level matching Garcia's 500 yard passing games, or the contests where Burris passed for 400 or more, and ran for another 100.

But, the fact is, it doesn't have to be.

Just play within your limits.

Play smart.

And win. ;)

TM

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nice poetry TM.....

But you forgot the title! If I may ----

"ODE TO THE FIELD MOUSE"

4. Rids

Rids Member

Glen Suitor just called the Kevin Glenn trade the best off season move by any CFL team.

5. Liske

Liske Member

I think that I shall never see
    A post as lovely as was T's

A post whose lines were spaced apart
    And shared its meaning from the heart

Each thought complete and chosen well
    If T was drunk it's hard to tell

With 16 lines to shape and mold
    T still includes a word in bold

Like praise that comes direct from God
    An Ode to Glenn, from T the mod

:D

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Clever wordsmithing Liske...very clever indeed! :D

And in perfect iambic pentameter, too!

I'd give you "reputation" if we had any to give...but since we don't have that feature enabled on this site, you will just have to accept my sincere "thanks" instead....;)

TM

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Perfect Pete, some tremendous sports poetry!!!

Lets see if TM wants to recite those words, especially if Champ & his Rugged Riders squelch the field mouse this weekend!!!???

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

In my view, the 'riders are not a very good team, but anything can happen in any given game, especially in this season of relative parity in the CFL.

They may beat the Stampeders on Sunday, although I do not believe they will.

After all, having your way with the Bombers in back to back games does not equate to having suddenly built a "ready-to-run-the-table-powerhouse-on-the-plains" football club, whatever they may think in Saskatchewan. :D

However, should the 'riders happen to emerge victorious, my stance on Glenn will not change.

I am not a "bandwagoner'', so I will stand behind my remarks whether or not the game ends on Sunday with the Stampeders in front.

Glenn will either make it or break it over the long haul, and one single game won't make or break it for me....;)

And so far, so good....

TM

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

I agree with T that KevG plays mostly within his limits and his biggest fault is when he can't see his downfield receivers (after all he's the world's shortest dropback passer) too often does he hurl it blind. Otherwise an above average game manager who doesn't cause a ton of locker room turmoil and can still zip the ball in there with some heat.

The most amazing thing I can say about KG, and I've been watching him his entire career is he can be awful and amazing in the same game, sometimes the same half. The only other guy I remember who could play like vomit for the first quarter and then light things up was Ronnie Lancaster.

Kevin often looks like a mope for 15 or 20 minutes (3 or 4 offensive series) and then suddenly he's Jackie Parker, II.....but can quickly sink into a temporary depression, only to amazingly come out of it a few series later. Very interesting player, the Stamps are fortunate to have brought him on board.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Before I had even finished reading to the end of your sentence, the name that popped into my mind was none other than "Ron Lancaster"...;)

It should be obvious that I (for that very reason) concur with your assessment. :D

TM