Loss dents Stamps’ first-place chances

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We don't deserve first place. That was pretty evident last night. We may be a third place team the way things look now. I don't have a lot of confidence that when the chips are down in another team's building that they can win. They screw up, make mistakes & play badly. That is the Stamps Modus Operandi on the road. I was watching the game last night & outside of a few moments where guys like Nick Moore were making some incredible catches, I wasn't getting worked up too much . More like I expected a performance like that from the Stamps. My expectations for this team aren't very high... I think 8 wins is flattering right now. We are a 9-9 team realistically. Anything over that is gravy. So, a 10 win season will be a great thing. The way I see it after last night, we don't have the players to compete with the Lions. This isn't going to be a championship year for us so it is not worth getting upset about.

3. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

In the CFL, any team can beat any other team on any given day.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Road to the Grey Cup will go thru BC, barring a monumental collapse by the Lions (like 0-4 down the stretch)

The big expectation now is how Calgary and Sask'n will finish in the 2-3 race.

Again, if Durant wins tomorrow and parks up even with Calgary, I don't like the Stamps chances even if they get home advantage in the west semi. Reason - Durant has so many more physical tools than Dwarf Boy (GLenn)....however, Glenn could be a factor in a bad weather playoff game as the defenders will be playing on an oil slick (ice or snow)....

Glenn's chances of taking the Stamps into Vancouver for a 1 game western showdown are the same if the stamps have the west semi in Cowtown or if they have to trudge on to Regina. Homefield matters little to Kevin Glenn.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

And I can win $50 million on the Lotto Max on Friday. Not likely. After what I saw last night if that is the Stamps team that does play BC in the playoffs then we have no chance.

6. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Injuries are now taking it's toll on this team. The Stamps have gutted and scrapped out 8 wins so far this season on sheer will and desire. Right now this team has a way to go to compete with BC. As well, the Riders seemed to be in a groove right now winning 3 in a row.
    The next two games are crucial for the Stamps in regard to either hosting a playoff game or going on the road.
    I don't know if it is me or if I am over reacting, but there are few things with this team which are a concern.

1. DB play. I find with Stamps having regressed in their pass rush from earlier in the season and having now such an anemic pass rush, I find the DB's on this team are not very good in covering receivers deep and in crossing routes. Often the DB's are either giving up the big pass or getting called for interference.

2. Nik Lewis. Not taking anything away from the guy, because of the way he plays, but I get the feeling that his conditioning is starting to creep into his game. Maybe it was the flu, but the other night in BC he looked slower than usual and didn't have enough energy in the tank to gain separation from BC's secondary.

3. OL: As valiantly as they have played this season with the number of injuries and players playing out of position, the tackle {LT & RT} position is a major concern when it comes to pass protection. Earlier in the season the OL struggled in the run department, now in the past few games the pass protection has stumbled with procedure penalties and protecting the QB. Without a strong LT, coming down the stretch DD and company must find a way of protecting the QB.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Stamps got into this mess on the OL by themselves. You get what you pay for.