Mace looking forward to 2014

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Mace.jpg

Mace looking forward to 2014
    Vicki Hall, Calgary Herald

No one could blame Corey Mace for calling in sick June 28 when the Calgary Stampeders open the 2014 Canadian Football League season against the Montreal Alouettes.

Or, at the very least, no one could fault the hulking defensive tackle for stroking a lucky rabbit's foot or conducting a 24-hour prayer session prior to his first contest in a calendar year.

Once bitten, twice bitten ... "It's all good man," Mace said Wednesday with football in the air thanks to (rare) springlike conditions in Calgary. "Really, I couldn't even think of missing any games. I'm just so excited to get back after it."

In 2011, Mace ripped his Achilles tendon in Week 1 and sat out the rest of the season.

In 2013, the valuable Canadian tore the labrum in his left shoulder in Week 1

As promised, Mace still contributed where he could - even with his arm in a sling - as an unofficial tutor to the new faces on the defensive line.

"The fact I had experience with it made it a little bit easier to handle," Mace said of the prolonged time in sick bay.
    "The first time it happened, I had my head in the dirt for probably half the season.

"You can put your head in the dirt and cry about it all season, but I didn't want to do that this time. I just wanted to be part of the team in any way I could."

Continue reading: http://www.stampeders.com/article/mace-looking-forward-to-2014

Tags: