"Major" Announcement Coming From Saskatchewan (aka New Regina Stadium)

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Stamps Rule, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

As per the TSN pre-game panel, Saskatchewan will make a "major" announcement prior to today's game.

Place your bets.

I'm going with "we're building a new stadium, construction to start next month".

Tags:
  2. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Riders to begin construction on a new stadium in 2013, ready for the 2017 season?

5 years to build a new stadium?

Did they hire the contractor that built.....errrr..."is building" the Winnipeg stadium?

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm going with, "We've discovered toothpaste".

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

'and soap'

5. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

33K seats, btw.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

New $278 million dollar open air stadium for Regina. Seating 33,000 expandable to 45,000. Gee, sounds just like the stadium in Winnipeg that Priders as well as their stupid mayor kept trashing. After all, a domed stadium was ther only option. An open air stadium wasn't good enough. Well, look what they got now.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Did they indicate the site?

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yes, the field right across from Mosaic. They showed it on tv. I guess CN isn't there anymore because I remember the railway tracks being there before. It looks like the tracks have been removed.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

10. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, the major rail yard is now west of town and the current downtown infrastructure will be removed.

11. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I grew up in small town Alberta so I know small town life. I've been in small town Saskatchewan since Sunday and holy smokes it feels really close to third world like an old southern US hick town. You wonder how the government has money for a building like this in a province where their best roads look like Alberta's worst. Gravel roads everywhere at stores, gas station pumps, and what the hell is the point of putting a car was on a pile of gravel with gravel roads in and out? No wonder they love their football team so much. There's nothing here. Nothing!

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Been to a regina red sox game once. nice field but man is it ever far from downtown.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, Erik... If the Sask government hasn't spend a cent on roads before the announcement was made, what makes you think they'd have done anything with or without paying for a new stadium? Status quo, I think.

14. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

15. Szarka_Rules

Szarka_Rules Member

An absolute gem. It took a while but I think this is something that the majority of residents can be proud of and also understand that it isn't fiscally irresponsible.

A few points,

- Love that it's an outdoor venue but will still provide fans some shelter from the elements.
    - The sunken bowl design is great.
    - A year round lounge and restaurant facility should be a nice addition.
    - There is no track!
    - Appears like the concourses will be wide with loads of amenities.
    - New seats are 2" wider with more legroom!

Congrats to the city and the designers.

As great as this stadium is, check out this video detailing what the entire project will consist of. Outstanding news for the City of Regina.

http://youtu.be/_XBELwNdptw

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Be interesting to see the actual renderings as in what it will look like in minute detail. This is a kind of generalization.

17. Szarka_Rules

Szarka_Rules Member

Yeah I'll be interested to see that as well.

I'm sure those will come out shortly. I'm expecting some pictures / drawings that personalize it a little more. Right now we have a good idea of what the stadium looks like, and it's a gem, but I'd like to see views of the concourses and hopefully some Rider banners etc to give it a less general look.

With new stadiums coming in Regina, Winnipeg and Hamilton coupled with extensive renos in Vancouver, Montreal Ottawa and Edmonton the league is seeing quite the improvement in infrastructure.

Just terrific news all around.

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Except here....

19. Szarka_Rules

Szarka_Rules Member

I'd imagine there would be some serious momentum for a new facility within the next ten years, no?

McMahon is certainly not a top facility anymore but it's better than what Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and Hamilton are currently playing in. I'd think it's still viable for another decade. Once the three cities above get new stadiums however, Calgary will likely be the league's worst.

The sticky situation is that these things usually take several years to come to fruition with all the beauracratic red tape. Has there been any discussion around this? Also, where do the Flames sit in the mix? With the Saddledome approaching 30 years of age will they be wanting a new facility soon?

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Flames want a new building funded by the taxpayers similar to what is being done in Edmonton but of course, the civic & provincial politicians waffle saying no. When we all know they will eventually say yes. Will a new stadium be included in a new arena complex? Who knows what the future brings. I know the lease at the Saddledome expires in a few years & there have been veiled threats that ownership would move the team if the province didn't pitch in so we'll see.
    What bothers me about this whole arena question is, unlike a new football stadium... most Calgarians will probably never set foot in it as
    it is nearly impossible to get concert tickets due to Flames season ticket holders holding first rights to tickets & the fact that 2/3 of the season ticket base here is corporate. Out of all the season tickets, maybe 6,000 are held by individuals. The rest companies. My feeling is if that is the case let the Flames build their arena privately. It will only benefit a select few people not the majority like a football stadium would.