Masterful game-planning by Dickenson and the Stampeders...

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Dickenson and the Stampeders game-planned for the Lions and kept them totally on their heels all game...:D

Great games by McDaniel, Price, Bryant and of course, Cornish with a clutch performance when it came down to him getting the ball.
    ;)

But best of all was KG, who answered all of his critics with a terrific performance on the day...:D

Our oline owned their dline, and our defence adopted a "bend-but-don't-break" approach, allowing the Lions the first major against them only after 59 minutes had elapsed in the game...;)

And special mention to Eric Fraser, who's drawn his fair share (and more) of criticism on this site for his play on the season, but I thought he had a stellar game today, including a critical pressure on Lulay in the 4th quarter, and an even more clutch hit on Geroy Simon late in the game, which cost Superman the catch, when the Lions were on the march...

Harken back to July 7th in the second game of Calgary's 2012 season.
    In my case, I had just emerged from the Stampede grandstand in the broiling heat of the late afternoon, only to hear the Stampeders had lost Drew Tate in the second quarter of their game against the Argos.

I thought the season was lost.

I was not alone.

Win or lose next week, who amongst us that day wouldn't have taken a trip to the Grey Cup under Kevin Glenn.

I know I would've.

There isn't a classier player in uniform in the CFL today.

For any of you who saw Calgary's post-game locker-room celebration last Sunday, you'll recognize Glenn as the player who presented Drew Tate with the offensive game ball.

Could there have been a classier gesture for a player to have made than the one Kevin made, having been supplanted a few days earlier as the starting quarterback in the WSF by the very player to whom he presented that ball?

Good on you Kevin!

Good on you Big Red!

Now go and get the Grey Cup!

'Cause dammit, my friends, I'm thirsty.... :D

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

Yes, great play calling by DD.

However, I didn't like the goal line QB sneak by Mitchell 3 plays in a row. They should have given it to Cornish or Cote on the third attempt. Did anyone else notice Mitchell wincing and clutching his ribs after the third attampt for the TD?

Other than that, one of DD's best games as OC.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep.

I think it was the result of a late hit by the Lions.

What else is new? :rolleyes:

Speaking of calls involving Bo Levi, how 'bout the Dickenson call on the TD pass on third down that wasn't credited by the officials (although it should've been), that put Calgary on the BC one.

Gutsy call, Dave, gutsy call! :D

Especially since it worked...;)

TM

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

This game was almost too easy, don't you think? Surprised at how we came in to BC Place & dominated. Of course, the Lions say they beat themselves & we didn't beat them. Always a classy bunch that team.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

If I was a died in the wool Stamps fan (instead of honorary fanboy) Al I would have been pacing like a nervous jackrabbit at wolf convention....

It wasn't easy but it was good!

And while I'm noted for picking out the worst players typically I cannot for the life of me come up with a worst stampeder today. THATS TRULY AMAZING!!!

If I had to search real hard maybe Obby Khan, the spare olineman picked up from Wpg. Now Obby is one game away from taking a Grey Cup ring. Who woulda thunk it?

Obby, as predicted is a solid block of granite in pass protect. However, dont like the o-line coordinator who thinks he can be routinely rotated in as a tight end or extra elephant. Guy has always been average to poor when trying to push equal-sized men backwards. Now he's just plain poor. But next week, Obby Khan, The Schwarma King will be playing for a ring while other notables like Doug Brown, Deuvy, Plop & yours truly WON'T....

PS. Doug Brown must be beside himself. Look who's playing for a ring. Obby, Kevin Glenn, Romby, Arjey Franklin, Jabarius Arthur, even friggin' Pig Belli....

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Happy for Khan. Happy for Kevin Glenn. This is his team... I hope he wins next Sunday.

7. Liske

Liske Member

Not only did it work, the official ruling (bad call) making it first down at the one yd line, combined with our three attempts to punch it in, actually helped by taking time off the clock.

8. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Your right it starts at the top and works down to the players. As though an automatic replay was not good enough what a fricken tool of a head coach Benny is! And to Cory Banks running thirty yards behind Romby motioning for a flag watch the reply. You have to laugh at them they under estimated Calgary and they took it too them.

And for those fans that stated in late October the game against the Lions was a nothing game. "Ya right keep telling yourself that"

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

all the more credit that Glenn really only had a short week to prepare in that he shared rep with Mitchell as they awaited the verdict on Tate. His 2 week rest though must have been very beneficial also.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think anyone on this board thought the last regular-season beat-down of the Lions came in a nothing game.

At least I think most Stampeders' fans appreciated what it meant.

TM

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

You can't help but feel great about how Glenn and Tate interact. It's night and day from Tate and Burris. I missed the locker room game ball that Glenn gave Tate, but I definitely didn't miss who was pretty much the first person was to run up and congratulate Glenn with genuine enthusiasm and happiness. And I'm talking about Drew Tate here. He looked as excited as if he were the one who had just lead his team to victory in the the Western Final. These are two of the CFL's most fierce competitors (one wear's his emotions on his sleeve, the other, not so much) and both clearly want to have the football in their hands, but the uncommon thing about their relationship is that they also appear to be each others biggest fan! Here's hoping that one of the CFLs quiet, unassuming, good guys can finally get his due and win the big one.