Trade Maurice Price to Ottawa

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jan 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

BREAKING: Per source, Stamps have traded WR Maurice Price to the Ottawa #RedBlacks for LB Jasper
    Simmons and WR Dan Buckner. #CFL

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Official Announcement

The Calgary Stampeders have completed a trade with the Ottawa RedBlacks, acquiring international linebacker Jasper Simmons and international receiver Dan Buckner in exchange for international receiver Maurice Price.

Simmons was Ottawa’s nominee for two CFL awards in 2014 — Most Outstanding Player and Most Outstanding Defensive Player. The six-foot-one, 223-lb. alum of the University of Missouri was the RedBlacks’ leading tackler in 2014 as he made 80 stops. The 25-year-old Pensacola, Fla, product also had three interceptions, two tackles for loss, seven special-teams tackles, one forced fumble and one pass knockdown in 17 games for Ottawa.

Simmons’ first CFL experience came with the Toronto Argonauts as he appeared in five games over two seasons (2011-12). In 22 career CFL contests, he has 86 tackles, 10 special-teams tackles, five interceptions, one pass knockdown and one forced fumble.

Buckner signed with the RedBlacks on Oct. 7, 2014, and dressed for two games. The six-foot-four, 215-lb. University of Arizona alum was signed as an undrafted free agent by the National Football League’s Arizona Cardinals and he spent time on both the Cardinals’ and Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ practice rosters.

As a senior for the University of Arizona in 2012, he played 13 games and made 61 catches for 773 yards and five touchdowns. In 2011, he had 42 receptions for 606 yards and two scores. Prior to transferring to Arizona, Buckner played two seasons at the University of Texas and recorded 49 catches for 529 yards and six touchdowns.

“Jasper Simmons established himself as a valuable CFL player for Ottawa last season and I believe he will be a very nice addition to our team,” said Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel. “Dan Buckner is a tall, athletic receiver with very good college credentials and I look forward to seeing him at training camp.”

Price played 29 games over three seasons with the Stampeders, recording 109 catches for 1,737 yards and 12 touchdowns. The 29-year-old Orlando, Fla., native played 10 games in 2014 and had 34 receptions for 544 yards and two majors.

“I sincerely thank Mo for his contributions to the Stampeders during his time in Calgary,” said Hufnagel. “It was not an easy decision but the emergence and presence of other playmaking receivers on our roster allowed us to make this trade and acquire two potentially valuable assets."

http://stampeders.com/article/stamps-acquire-simmons-buckner

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Excellent trade by Huff in my opinion.

Simmons is a young very talented LB who should thrive in Calgary. He was Ottawa's most outstanding player and most outstanding defensive player in 2014.

And Buckner is a young 6'4" WR - how is that a bad thing?

Sucks to lose Mo, but he is 29 and we showed the talent level in the receiving core is quickly rising.

4. Rids

Rids Member

5. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I think the emergence of Rogers made this trade happen. I will miss Mo Price he was a character guy. This gives us more depth at Linebacker and of course a 6'4" target is always good to have not sure where he fits in with the receivers we still have but two for one is a good deal.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Scott Morrison during an interview on the Fan960 has compared Buckner's playing style to that of Jeff Fuller.

If that assessment is correct, then the Stampeders made off like bandits in this trade with their acquisition of a blue-chipper on defence in Simmons, along with a "throw-in" named Buckner who's being compared to someone who I think is the best natural receiver on the team, namely Jeff Fuller. ;)

Mo Price was a valuable member of the team...when he played.

He was a real thoroughbred, however, and he spent a lot of time in the team infirmary getting iced down, and taped up for another run.

If he can stay healthy, he might well lead the league in receiving.

I wish him nothing but the best with the RedBlacks, and on the other side of the ledger, look forward to seeing Simmons and Buckner in Stampeders' silks in 2015....

TM

7. Addicted

Addicted Member

Why does Ottawa make this trade? Are they that desperate for receiving talent? Mo is a great asset to their team, but to give up their most outstanding player as well as a receiver with potential?

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

How this benefits Ottawa can be measured by how hard Flash's head hit the ceiling when he heard the news.

9. Rids

Rids Member

Yes they needed to add targets for Burris. Major improvements were needed there.

10. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Good trade for both clubs. Look for the Stampeders to revamp an aging defensive squad. With the resigning of some key players, Jones, Sinopoli, etc. (and perhaps signing of a couple of QBs which would allow a trade of QB Tate to Ottawa?, and perhaps, 2015 could bring another Grey Cup to Calgary.
    Year of the Horse version 2.0

11. Liske

Liske Member

Thanks for the quick breaking news madman. I think Calgary got the better end of the stick. We are awash in good receivers, and Mo became dispensable. I like our new LB too.

Hopefully Burris and Price will connect for the Redblacks in 2015.

Madman likes this.
  12. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Great trade. Both the Stamps and the Redblacks will benefit. Again Hufnagel and Murphy prove that they might be the best management team in the CFL.

13. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

I was a bit shocked at first, but I definitely think we won this trade.
    Nice move!!

14. Rids

Rids Member

This is funny:

15. Flash

Flash Member

16. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Calgary has an embarrassment of riches of import receivers and Ottawa with none making a move before free agency to get one is not surprising. Even though Simmons was their leading tackler and best defensive player in 2014. They Acquired Munoz after NFL training camp is probably better and likely have him projected as their starter coming into this season. With two young an newly starters at the Mike and Sam LB position having Munoz in his prime balance it out a bit as well

17. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

I bet Eric Fraser was over joyed by this news. He and Mo has it out earlier in the year on Twitter after the whole stupid Michael Sam thing. Meh, Price is an absolute stud and this is still a hard pill to swallow, but all the best to him and hopefully the new boys produce!

18. Flash

Flash Member

Ok so I'm totally stoked that Mo Price is going to Ottawa. Should be a HUGE boost to the offense.

Little disappointed that SJ Green or Wes Dress didn't join the party but holding out a glimmer of hope that Nik Lewis is available and Marcel is smart enough to do that. It's a glimmer.

Now need to replace Jasper the Friendly Ghost.

19. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

The reason why Jasper was made available is because they already signed Damaso Munoz after the end of NFL training camp cuts. Jasper did have a great season with his team leading 80 plus tackles. But Munoz as well had the same 80 plus amount in 2013 and 2012 drawing him to the NFL but he is back now and signed on.
    Unless Nick Lewis is able to get back to football shape and retain some of his recent form he is pretty much about done. Ottawa may be much better off making a play for earnest Jackson BC or Greg Ellingson HAM.

20. Flash

Flash Member

Sure I just liked having a building block on defense. A young guy to stay with the franchise for years.