McCoy out

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris McCoy is out indefinitely with a torn ACL.

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

Crap! He was probably the best pass rusher we had and this is a team that already struggles mightily to bring down opposing QBs. I guess even more weight falls on Mr. Hughes. We might need a few more INTs from him to compensate for the loss of sacks. ;)

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

That's it for the season.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Tough break for the young guy, but tough breaks also create new opportunities.

For other players.

Eliminian anyone?

TM

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

Who do we have that can talk to Eliminian to convince him Calgary is the place to be? Lewis? Kahn? Let's start talking to the big guy and get him in town.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Eliminian is not a free agent. He still has an option year left on his contract with BC. Same with Messam in Edmonton.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I know that.

The discussion was about making a pitch for him if BC can't fit him back into their current roster and is either forced to release him, or (more likely) trade his rights.

TM

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't think the Lions would trade him to a Western Division rival. If I was Wally I sure wouldn't. Besides, would you give up a Dmitri Tsoumpas or maybe Nik Lewis to get him as that is what it would come down to.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It doesn't hurt to find out what they want for him, right?

There is no 'trade' until it's registered with the league.

And, until that happens, you and I can speculate all we want to about the cost of his acquisition, but that's all it is.

Sheer speculation.

And, if the Lions really want to keep him because they can find no suitor who will pay their asking price, it might mean another valuable asset has to be cut loose in Vancouver to make room for Eliminian.

Given the mediocre performance of the Stampeders thus far this year, who's to say whatever player Wally cuts loose from his front-running team can't play here?

TM

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Bet most can. I just wouldn't want to see us give up something too much to get something back, if it is too much. And for a guy like Eliminian we'd have to.

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe.

Depends on whether or not Wally's in a bind.

None of us knows that and maybe Hufnagel won't know it either unless he enquires.

If the price is too high by our standards, maybe it is for him as well.

And if it isn't, then I guess that's why he's paid to manage the Stampeders and the rest of us just talk about it...

TM

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

But he's a middle linebacker. We need a defensive end. Unless you're implying they move JuWan Simpson back to DE? I wouldn't be a fan of that considering how underwhelming he was in that role the first time around. It would be a waste of his talents.

Granted Elimimian would be an upgrade over Simpson in the middle but that would still leave us with a hole at DE.