McMahon Upgrades

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Ken King was on QR77 Sportstalk tonight and made some big news in regards to McMahon Stadium and upgrades for it.

Does this all mean they aren't going forward with a dual stadium plan?

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

He said a new stadium is a longshot. Knew it, dammit. We need a new stadium but the Flames will get a new arena... We all knew that was going to happen & it's not fair...

3. blueandgoldguy

Well, the good news is you get upgrades worth a respectable $15 million which is better than no upgrades at all.

Wonder what it will be? Bathroom upgrades, Concession upgrades, Canopy on one or both grandstands, new club seats or suites?

The bad news is, of course, byspending $15 million on upgrades they probably have no intention on building a new stadium for the next decade or so as they would want to get their money's worth out of those upgrades.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

King said there's virtually no chance of a new stadium... The PC's won't give any money but too busy taking illegal donations from Darryl Katz so he can get his arena built...

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Unlike Winnipeg, where Greg Gunslinger (Premier) was bullied and intimidated (and some say tricked) to provide ALL the cash for a brand new stadium the Calgary folk, particularly Ken King realize the CFL only hosts 9 or 10 CFL games a year. Unless the facility is falling apart (which Winnipeg Stadium truly was) they'll milk the current thing for as long as they can, or longer (whichever comes first)
    The Bomber board concocted some cockamamie payback program over 40 or 50 years which is virtually impossible for the bombers to repay.
    However, the 33,350 facility (expandable to 39,000 for concerts) will host at least 20 or 30 more events per year, possibly attracting acts like Bruce Springsteen and giving some repayment in terms of tax on tickets, concessions, salaries, etc.
    But as far as bombers repaying on the deal - fuggedaboudit.....

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like the process will be a staged one, which virtually guarantees a new stadium is not on the horizon in Calgary.

The 15 million figure mentioned would be centered around basic upgrades to bathrooms, and concourse flow, and the like, and would be paid for by selling the naming rights if the McMahon family can be brought onside.

The longer term plan involves up to 100 million in spending for "major" stadium renovations, which is apparently the ultimate goal, but without any particular time frame being placed on it.

The bottom line is: "we've got what we've got, and we've got it 'till we rot"...:s

TM

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

8. blueandgoldguy

$100 million in upgrades would be pretty significant. I'm sure they would focus on a club section and several new private boxes that the new stadiums (Winnipeg, Hamilton and Saskatchewan will have) and refurbished stadiums (Edmonton, BC, Ottawa will have/already have). That would generate some new revenues for the club. A roof or canopy for the stadium would be great to give the stadium more of an enclosed feel and protect the fans from the elements.

HAven't the owners already spent millions on upgrading the offices and locker rooms If so, that's one less to the worry about for the next two decades or so.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

That was the Forzani Group minus Hellard who put the new offices in. Speaking of Ted, I wonder how he is & where he is at?? Ted, if you are out there & happen to read this, please join this site & say hello....

10. ZzipperHed

ZzipperHed Member

Well...We need a dome cause no one wants to sit out side in late October or November in cold Canadian cities. So as long as we don't have a dome on a stadium in Calgary...I won't be going to a game when it's below 5C. I went to the McMahon for the game VS Hamilton Tigercat's and it was horrible and it wasn't even that cold...imagine when the West Semi against Sask/Edm when it's -20 with wind chill....F*** and THAT!!!! Enjoy a crowd of 15,000, made up mainly Saskatchewan fans for the playoff game. Fans that will most likely sneak in a mickie of vodka and dump it in a large coke, buy ticket's in Section X row 60 and sneak down into the empty RED SEATS cause no one in Calgary bothered to show up!!

11. Liske

Liske Member

15 million would not cover much more than a paint job. Don't expect much for that money. It sounds like there is no plan or even thought for a new stadium. So McMahon will probably get slowly rebuilt over time through endless renovations. In 50 years time, we will have a new stadium because every square inch of McMahon will have been replaced by then.

Football fans in Buffalo, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, etc don't seem to have a problem showing up for their teams in -15-20 degree weather. The way I look at it, is if the players are playing in cold weather, then we as fans should be there to cheer them on in cold weather.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's not the cold weather. It's playing in old & crappy stadiums. Buffalo & GB all have had extensive renos done to their barns.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

15 million was an optimal figure in King's Speech....

5 or 10 million gets you a paint job, some new heaters, clean the latrines and some upgraded chairs in the bad areas!

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, exciting news. Maybe King should by the troughs from Winnipeg Stadium as they are for sale. Get 'em cheap.

15. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Every fan of the Stamps would love to have a new stadium. A state of the art facility with all the bells and whistles. As a season ticket holder I would love to have such luxury watching the game. However the reality is that both the municipal and provincial governments have no viable interests in financially assisting in sports infrastructure in this province. Secondly the parent ownership of this team is more interested in a new hockey arena than a new football stadium. Hopefully the 15 million renovations will help. Better than no money at all.

As old and crappy as McMahon might be to some fans, or some fans are turned off from sitting in the sometimes unpleasant elements, I for one enjoy walking up to the stadium and seeing that big white horse on the side of the building. When I enter the building I like the carnival atmosphere along with most importantly the entertainment value from watching the product on the field. Unlike the other sports franchise in this city who have neglected and unappreciated the fan who pays exorbitant and inflated ticket prices, I still feel going to a Stamps game is 100% more value for what is on the field and in the stands.

16. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes it would, b&gguy, but there's been no commitment by any group, public or private, to spend that figure (or any other), nor any time-frame for the expenditure even if the commitment was there.

It's a "long-term goal", and, unfortunately, nothing more than that.

I can safely predict that for us older guys loitering around here, none of us will ever live long enough to see a new football stadium constructed in Calgary.

For most of my generation of fans, I'd guess we'd have to consider ourselves fortunate if we were even able to see during our lifetimes the commencement at McMahon of the 'major renovations' now being dangled as a prospect by the Flames ownership...

It may well take that long....:(

TM

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

TM, our generation has put up with substandard facilities our entire lives as football fans... You & I may live to see a new stadium in Calgary but I highly doubt it.

18. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

All I ask for is a proper seat. I'm tired of fatties sitting next to me on the "bench" and taking up more than their allotted space.

19. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

A true fair-weather fan.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, but he is what the majority think. You may not like it but it is what it is. The 15-20,000 diehards that will sit thru bad weather will always be there. The casual fan, no... And not having a proper facility as in a retractable roof kills us late in the season. No owner can make money at McMahon Stadium.