News McMaster Loses DC

Discussion in 'Calgary Dinos and CIS Talk' started by Rids, May 20, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

McMaster has lost their DC to the Toronto Varsity Blues. Former Stampeder Greg Knox has spent the past seven years with McMaster and will take a full time coaching job with Toronto to be their DC now. Seems a little late in the year to switch jobs but hey it's the CIS.

2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

FULL TIME... I think those are the key words. The CFL loses coaches late in the off season sometimes. It happens.

3. Rids

Rids Member

True that happens but what will be interesting in the CIS world is for those defensive players that perhaps Greg Knox had been vital in recruiting that haven't signed a Letter of Intent, how many will follow him to Toronto.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Toronto is a losing program. Has been since time in memorial. If I was a player, I don't know if a coach, even one who recruited me would be enough to get me to change schools. As you said to your players at the combine here in Calgary, Rids. A player better be in love with the university first & not the coach because coaches move around. And think about it, especially now, in late May when students are applying & being accepted by universities as well as picking courses. I don't believe that one single coach even at the coordinator position can turn a team around just like I don't believe a single player can either... A head coach with a vision can but it takes time.

5. Flash

Flash Member

Haven't the 2 Toronto schools been hiring a bunch of coaches this year? Didn't York bring in some big name coach too?

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Give credit to Knox. Making a football coaching career as an assistant in the CIS. Most guys don't even get paid.