McMaster says No To Ti Cats Using Their Stadium in 2013. Ti Cats Stunned!

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by iso_55, Jun 8, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

McMaster University made it official today that the Ti Cats can't use their facilities for any home games during the 2013 season. The Ti Cats & McMaster had been in negotiations for a number of months & the consensus was the 2 sides would come to an agreement to enlarge the stadium from it's current 5,500 seats to almost 18,000 & use tyhe facility for as many as 5 home games to try to keep the team close to its fanbase. Now, the Ti Cats are looking at Western, Guelph, Moncton as well as the Rogers Centre to play their home games in 2013.

Here's a link:

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2012/ ... n-cfl.html

Audio of Bob Young's reaction to the McMaster announcement:

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2012/ ... ision.html

More reaction:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... cmpid=rss1

Tags:
  2. Christoph

Christoph Member

That's crazy. The Ti-Cats are certainly going to be in a tough spot now!

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Speculation is that fired former CFL executive Jeff Gyles who is now AD at McMaster did this to stick it to the CFL. He was in on negotiations for the university & led the Cats to believe that a deal was imminent. The Ti Cats were prepared to throw in a lot of money into the McMaster sports program, especially football. Upwards of a half mill, plus provide significant upgrades to the football stadium on top of expanding seating. That & the fact that they are paying McMaster about $200,000 to use the facilities & dorms for training camp. Now, that is all up in the air. The University of Western Ontario in London is making sweet overtures for the Ti Cats to have their training camp there next year as well as there home games. Plus now, the negative reaction of Ti Cats fans in Hamilton towards McMaster is happening. This may not be over just yet.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

I suspect Jyles is just trying to show the CFL 'who's balls are bigger'....

.... prolly a time where the Ontario government (the Dalton Gang) will intervene and force McMaster/Jyles to comply . . .

also - Russ Jackson's voice on this matter to be heard!

Other question - why didn't Booby Young just erect one of those temporary stadiums like Braley did in BC?

5. Liske

Liske Member

The temporary stadium in BC was part of the package included within the overall budget for the renovation of BC Place, paid for by the BC government. It cost about $15 million.

I don't know what Young's deal is with the Ontario government regarding a stadium, but you would think Young should have had a contingency plan of some sort.

6. Rids

Rids Member

They did. They were going to take McMaster's stadium and create another Tempire situation there. Instead they'll likely end up at Western and take their training camp money there too for the next few years.

The McMaster option
    [​IMG]

or the Western option
    [​IMG]

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Dumb move. Gonna cost McMaster hundreds of thousands of dollars. Western will benefit from now on. They want the Ti Cats to come there.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

I agree its a dumb move by Jyles. And a smart one by Western. Biggest kvetch is regular Hammy fans (approx. 12,000 to 16,000) will have to travel far longer than the 5 to 20 minutes.

How far is it anyways to Western?

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Ten years ago, I'd have said London is where the Ti Cats should be now. But the new stadium in Hamilton prevents that. Maybe this is a test for the CFL market in London. More teams in southern Ontario is a good thing, I believe as there are some natural rivalries.... Moncton??? Pfffffft.

10. zBrain

zBrain Member

I'm going to laugh pretty hard if Gyles gets fired over this, as he should. Then he'll really be pissed at the CFL.

What program turns down this kind of offer?

A) Complete idiots
    B) Someone with an agenda
    C) All of the above

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Some people are saying that the main stumbling block issues are closing down a street for 3 months beside the stadium as well as concerns about access to a hospital on campus nearby when 16,000 people are at the games. As these have been lengthy negotiations (over 6 months) then why wasn't this addressed early? Hard to believe this is a cause for concern now as these would have been very important considerations??? To me, this is a political decision. Who knows if Giles had anything to do with it? I wouldn't be surprised, though. He was turfed as CFL president, I believe. Now McMaster's loss willl probably be Western's gain. Besides, we are only talking 5 home games here early in the season prior to the opening of the Fall 2013 semester...

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

13. Flash

Flash Member

Guelph has said they won't host them. But really it was more of them wanting some PR. I kinda doubt the Tiggers had even talked them seriously.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Western wants them & I say great!!

15. Flash

Flash Member

The only other solution that would be acceptable is to go to a school like Brock and leave a legacy with a stadium. Something to encourage them to start a program of their own.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Spinning the stadium to a different configuration. What did they say, north/south instead of east/west? And taking out a 5,000 seat soccer facility as well? Pisses off the neighbours & the soccer community in one fell swoop. Great job everyone involved in tis fiasco. Just can't build it in the same direction to make everybody happy??? Jeez!!!

17. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

The idea is to create more space for much needed parking. The days of parking on lawns is passé.

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Just seems no matter what they do someone is always bitching. Like in Ottawa. But Bob Young handled things all wrong. I don't think he's putting one cent into the project so for him to do what he did was wrong.

19. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

No respect for the CFL. That's the bottom line. NFL rarely have such issues with new stadiums. They just get it done.

20. Rids

Rids Member

He offered to split the bill to put it in the Blue Mountain location or whatever it was called. A brand new place just off of the highway, building on a hay field. They turned him down so is it really Bob's fault? They forced his hand by insisting on the Harbourview location without caring that the site wasn't large enough to ever host a Grey Cup or really even to host a Labour Day game because of how it would be squished in they couldn't go larger than 23 or 24,000.

The Mountain location would've been ideal with a convention center, restaurants and really build up an unused area not only for game day but every day of the year business.