Media Poll - Joe Mack

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

The guy was voted worst GM in the CFL. Here's a paste from a Wpg Blue Bomber poster. Couldn't have said it better myself. Just don't agree with his final remarks about Gooner Lawless.

I suspect the vote is based on Mack's whole body of work (hitching his wagon to a brittle QB who has finished only 1/4 of the games he has played in 3 years and backing him up with 2 guys who had 1 career win between them rather than going after any of Glenn, Burris or Ray who were all available; getting outplayed badly at the draft by Buono, seeing the pick he lost become the Western rookie of the year, and taking instead a player with an "hold your breath" injury history who had been out of football for a year and then lo and behold seeing the injury history rear it's ugly head before training camp even finished; all of that draft mess occurring in the shadow of the colossally failed Jade Etenne pick from 2 years ago; losing Labatte and then missing out on back-up plan Picard; cutting Khan before camp and having zero veteran presence on the line when two injuries occured; letting Donny O walk without a contract offer without having a viable Canadian back-up on the d-line, which forced a ratio change that resulted in the Lobendahn cut, and the eventual re-shuffling of most of the defence; not finding a suitable replacement for Kent; not having a firmer grasp of the stadium situation or involving himself more in mitigating the brutal 4 game West-East-West-East road trip which effectively sunk the season - and spare me the "he's not responsible for the schedule" line - HE'S THE GM - the buck stops with him, and Taman, Murphy, and Robson all handled scheduling in their reigns; preached patience with the young roster but then axed the same coach he given a contract extension to only a few months earlier in a knee-jerk scapegoat fashion when the club appeared to be turning a corner; immediately after that decision was the architect of a team that suffered arguably the single worst loss - 52-0 - in the club's 82 year history, followed up by the game where his newly selected coach made the single worst coaching decision in the CFL this year whic hcost the team the game and ultimately a playoff spot, and followed by an even more embarrassing 44-3 loss where the team was ridiculed on national TV for laughing on the sidelines) than for Tillman's one big mistake which was done to free up salary to build a defence on a team that, unlike Mack's made the playoffs this year.

And for those bothered by the cluttered run-on nature of my last sentence, let's just say there was a lot of Mack failures to fit in there - failures the media voters would have been aware of too when they cast their votes.

And for the record, I don't HATE Mack. I've never met the man and have no feelings for him one way or the other. I just think he's done a very poor job as GM, and is really more of a glorifed U.S. scout for the team who is in over his head handling the other responsibilities that a trrue GM must be able to manage to be successful, and has scapegoated others for his failings.

I acknowledge his successes (Muamba, Matthews, Simpson, Watson) and can see that even his short term failures (the rookie o-line experiment) may bear fruit in the future, but I also see many, many obvious errors and openly questionable moves that the doubters were ultimately proven right on with a distressing frequency. The blindness I see is from the Mack-lovers who cannot accept that he has made ANY mistakes, and throw out the "hater", "sheep" and "idiot" labels in place of any consistent argument in his favour.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's hard to actually hate someone before you meet them unless they were Hitler, Idi Amin, Al Qaeda or Hamas. but Nate you are right, Mack is a dreadful GM & things aren't gioing to change with him still there in Winnipeg. I have stated my case numerous times on OB.com & people disagree. For the life of me I don't know what kind of spell he holds over some posters over there.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Its the sporting community's version of the Stockholm Syndrome....

Even Maggot (Mike Kelly) had tons of support until the date of his execution (and even then some of the worst low lifes on that board still supported him). Look at all the support Jeff Reinbold had despite being unable to win more than 2 or 3 games a year.

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

speaking of the devil , Stewart is making it known to the media that players were unhappy with reinbold's system. wonder if trestman might assign him to special teams and bring in a guy like greg marshall

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Easiest prediction I made this year was the Als were going to oust Reinny.

He's simply unacceptable as a coordinator - even worse as a human bein'....

Wonder who's resume he cribbed or what references he coerced to get Trestman to bring him aboard....???

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

well it was Milanovich who made the suggestion to Trestman. The conspiracy deepens.

8. Rids

Rids Member

But once they gave the system a chance they proved it worked. Their numbers improved from start to end.

Third best in total yardage allowed, third fewest rushing first downs allowed, actually really strong against the run all year.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Except when it counted most...

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think Reinbold asked Trestman if he could convert Brian Bratton into a defensive back. Something about those good frying pan hands?

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

People, people, do I have to split threads here or can we get back to the point of this thread?