Mock Draft

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Madman, May 2, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Most of these late first rounders & second rounders are virtual unknowns except to the hard core football fans. W#hich is why it would have been great marketing for both the CIS & CFL to have televised the E Camp. The CFL totally missed the mark.

3. Goal Digger

Goal Digger Member

Here is my full 6 round mock draft. I am a draft junkie, so this is one of the highlights of the year for me. Look forward to your feedback.
    Pick Player Pos Team
    Round 1
    1 Ben Heenan OL Saskatchewan Roughriders
    2 Shamawd Chambers R Edmonton Eskimos TOR
    3 Austin Pasztor OL Hamilton Tiger-Cats
    4 Frédéric Plesius LB BC Lions MTL
    5 Jabar Westerman DL Calgary Stampeders
    6 Kirby Fabien OL Edmonton Eskimos
    7 Ameet Pall DE BC Lions
    Round 2
    8 Bo Adebayo DL Winnipeg Blue Bombers SASK
    9 Matthew Norman OL Toronto Argonauts
    10 Jason Medeiros OL Hamilton Tiger-Cats
    11 Simon Charbonneau-Campeau R Montreal Alouettes
    12 Carson Rockhill OL Calgary Stampeders
    13 Ismael Bamba R Winnipeg Blue Bombers
    14 Christo Bilukidi DE BC Lions
    Round 3
    15 Hasan Hazime DE Saskatchewan Roughriders
    16 Arnaud Gascon-Nadon DE Winnipeg Blue Bombers TOR
    17 Courtney Stephen DB Hamilton Tiger-Cats
    18 Tyson Pencer OL Montreal Alouettes
    19 Keenan MacDougall DB Calgary Stampeders
    20 Nathan Riva RB Edmonton Eskimos
    21 Billy Peach OL Winnipeg Blue Bombers
    22 Johnny Aprile R Hamilton Tiger-Cats BC
    Round 4
    23 Hervé Tonye-Tonye LB Winnipeg Blue Bombers SASK
    24 Justin Capicciotti DE Toronto Argonauts
    25 Michael Atkinson DT Hamilton Tiger-Cats
    26 Jake Thomas DT Montreal Alouettes
    27 Luke Wilson TE Calgary Stampeders
    28 Austin Anderson K Toronto Argonauts EDM
    29 Bryce McCall DB Winnipeg Blue Bombers
    30 Jahmeek Taylor R Calgary Stampeders BC
    Round 5
    31 Keynan Parker DB Calgary Stampeders WPG via SSK
    32 Bogdan Raic R Toronto Argonauts
    33 Samuel Hurl LB Hamilton Tiger-Cats
    34 Dylan Hollohan DB Montreal Alouettes
    35 Tyrone Crawford DE Calgary Stampeders
    36 Rene Stephan LB Edmonton Eskimos
    37 Mike Filer OL BC Lions WPG
    38 Billy Greene QB BC Lions
    Round 6
    39 Jawann Westerman R Saskatchewan Roughriders
    40 Michael Van Praet DL Toronto Argonauts
    41 Jordan Duncan DB Toronto Argonauts HAM
    42 Seamus Postuma DL Montreal Alouettes
    43 Ryan Granberg RB Calgary Stampeders
    44 Sébastien Lévesque RB Montreal Alouettes EDM
    45 A.J. Milko RB Calgary Stampeders WPG

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No qbs taken? I was hoping the 2 qbs in the draft Kyle Quinlan & the kid from UBC would go... Sam Hurl to Hamilton. Hey, love to see him here as he is a local player who starred at Centennial HS where I coach. he was teammates with my son. Great person & an awesome talent. I wonder if Kirby Fabien was available if the Stamps would continue to address the OL. Steve Myddleton had a so so year. He kind of regressed & isn't the guaranteed starter we all thought he was going to be a year ago. With Mace & Bulcke coming back, I think the Stamps may seriously look at Fabien. But at 295 lbs, he'll need to bulk up at least 10 lbs.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Digger I love the 6 round mock draft. Incredibly tough to predict 6 rounds in the CFL draft and especially with some of the things that happened today. A lot of really solid players weren't even touched today. The UDFA rush will be pretty crazy.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

What did you think of the players the Stampeders picked up in today's draft, Rids?

I don't know enough about most of those kids, but I'd bet you do...

TM

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

For sure, Rids. It would be interesting to read your take as being independent. Of course, every club will say they had a great draft. WTH was Winnipeg thinking in the first round??? Why move up to #3 to take a guy who probably would have been available in Round 4??

8. Rids

Rids Member

5 Calgary Stampeders Ameet Pall DL Wofford
    15 Calgary Stampeders Keenan MacDougall DB Saskatchewan
    19 Calgary Stampeders Billy Peach OL Jacksonville
    27 Calgary Stampeders Bradley Erdos OL Simon Fraser
    30 Calgary Stampeders Adam Berger DB Simon Fraser
    31 Calgary Stampeders Mike Filer OL Mount Allison
    43 Calgary Stampeders Jordan Spence DL Eastern Oregon
    45 Calgary Stampeders Wil DeSouza LB Toronto

Some comments on the draft class. Feeling a little more freedom here so I'll let it rip.

First off the positives:
    Ameet Pall is a gamer. Southern Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, was nearly the FCS Top Defensive Player too (finished second in voting), they caught onto him in 2011 and he didn't have quite the same season but he's a guy to watch. Too small for the NFL but that yard off the ball in the CFL will be a game changer for him. Offensive guards around the league will get tired before he does.

Keenan MacDougall is an athlete. Good size, good foundation of skills and the athletic ability to back it up. Sat out for a year which may trouble some but should be a factor in the main camp.

Billy Peach is a great guy. Think of him in the Taylor Robertson type - played college in Florida, can play guard or tackle, solid character guy too. Jacksonville may not be playing the nation's top schools every week but it's still a place with some big match ups. Could leave town with 3 conference titles under his belt. Plays for Head Coach Kerwin Bell there.

The Middle Picks:
    The two Simon Fraser picks are somewhat of a head scratcher. I'm not sure if they just expected some of the other guys to not be there at that point (one of my pet peeves is the speed that the draft goes once the TV cameras are off) and stuck to the gameplan or maybe they just went to a bunch of GNAC games this year. There's a bunch of guys that were on the board still and some others that weren't even picked that I would've looked at myself.

The Hard Worker
    Mike Filer is a great story this year. Worked hard to get noticed, performed well at the NIC and got the invite to E-Camp. Nobody will out work this kid. Calgary must have a direct phone line to Sackville, NB because they are the only ones to draft out of there since 2004.

The Potential
    Jordan Spence is a kid with a big upside but a lot of unknown to him too. I didn't expect to see him drafted but did expect him to join a club for Camp and maybe even stick because of his upside. The only NAIA pick in the Draft. Bounced around from University of Oregon to Portland State to Eastern Oregon. But hey the school website loves that he was drafted: http://www.eousports.com/news/2012/5/3/ ... 24956.aspx

The CIS Performer
    Wilk DeSouza led the CIS in tackles with 62 solo tackles plus 23 assisted tackles. In the CIS math that equals 73.5 and a dominate lead in the tackling stat. In the NCAA they count hits (tackles+assisted tackles) and he finished second in that category to Labenski out of Acadia by one. 85 hits is a solid year but remember the Varsity Blues play more defense than some other schools. I like him but not sure where he fits best.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice response on that, Rids, and from it I'm gathering that you expect that at least Pall will make the team this year.

Isn't he listed at 5'10 and something in the order of 225 lbs?

With those dimensions is he expected to essentially play a "Quick Parker" position when they get him in there?

Otherwise I think that's fairly diminutive for a DE in the modern era, even in Canada.

TM

10. Rids

Rids Member

Yeah Pall is 5'10" and 243 pounds. A ball of fire!
    [hr]
    Ian Busby has a review of the Calgary picks too. Figured I should post a link close to the other review - http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Built low to the ground. Pall is already below pad level with those big OL!!

12. Goal Digger

Goal Digger Member

Rids, I have done a full 6 round mock draft for a select few friends the past two years. I found it much harder to find information this year. Thank you for your guide. My accuracy was down from last year. Here's how I did:

-64% of players were actually drafted
    -86% I predicted to go in round 1 did (I had Pencer in the 3rd round, not 3rd overall)
    -14% in the 2nd
    -50% in the 3rd
    -25% in the 4th
    -13% in the 5th
    -0% in the 6th
    -7% of picks went to the team and round predicted
    -31% of players were drafted in the round predicted
    -16% of players were drafted within 2 places of the spot predicted.
    -Only one pick was right on (2%) - Ben Heenan 1st overall

It's a lot of work, but I love trying to find information on the players and try to figure out what each team needs and wants.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Rids & GD,how do you find all the info on the players? And rank them accordingly? Where do you even start in the ranking process? As far as Tyson Pencer's pick by the Bombers. Would he have still been there in the 2nd round when the Bombers would ahve picked again? Could they have taken a player more ready to play now & still got him later?

14. Rids

Rids Member

Info can be tough to come by. Previously the CFL would publish their list of players eligible for the Draft but these days that info is only available to the teams. The top guys are fairly easy to spot but without the actual draft rules published it can be tough to know which year they are supposed to be involved in. It can also be a headache when dealing with some CIS websites, you may never actually know what year a player should be in because they don't report redshirt years or just call everybody a freshman (the actual CIS website doesn't even update things sometimes).

Rules are likely going to change again here to reflect the changes in the CIS rules that limit your time to play. The players that have played more years in junior prior to going to a CIS school sometimes get caught up like Ryan King did last year where he wasn't able to play CIS or CFL or CJFL as he wasn't eligible in any form. Potentially he could've come back to Alberta and played Senior Men's but that could've been a negative.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The rules were changed because of St. Mary's, right? I know they played older player right out of junior ball. So, they had 27 year old starters playing against 19 year old starters on other teams. That's on Steve Sumarah, isn't it?

16. Rids

Rids Member

When it comes to evaluation of players I have a system that I've been working on for years to create a grade for each player I review. It's 11 categories with a max final grade of 10.0. It's taken a lot to get it to this point and will continue to develop it. The trouble can lie with a lack of footage available on some of these players. Unlike the resources of the NFL I can't travel enough to visit every school to watch games so some of these guys you're limited to a few highlight reels (or even for some no highlight reels even).

My advantage coming up is that soon I'll have high school grades that we issued on these players to mix into this. That could give us a leg up on things.
    [hr]
    The starting point was the Manitoba squad that had a higher average age of their game day roster than the Bombers did. They would have half a roster that played 5 years of junior and then 5 years of CIS.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Leave it to the CFL & CIS to make it difficult for guys like you that put the work in to publish draft info on eligible players so people can read it. As much as the CFL claims they are all about the fans, their secretive neg lists, unwilling to promote their E Camp on television, moving the CFL Draft to a weekday afternoon, then TSN's shoddy coverage of the draft after Round Two makes the CFL look like a joke instead of being a professional league. Having to go to the TSN website to watch the final 4 rounds zip by in an hour & a half was also a joke. Being "on the clock" the first two rounds was just for tv sake as the teams zipped thru the final four rounds like lightning on the internet. If TSN can't devote 4 hours to one its flagship leagues that generates tremendous advertising revenue for them, it's sad. And it's obvious the CFL is too stupid to realize that. Keep everything a secret. Way ta go, CFL!!