Montreal kind of sucks this year, who saw that coming?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Stamps Rule, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

When was the last time Montreal started .500 over the first month, and potentially 2-3 by the end of week 5?

Toronto is killing them right now.

Hell, maybe the Bombers are still in the running for a playoff spot!? LOL.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

AC is still a surgeon, an old surgeon but a surgeon nonetheless.

Winnipeg is handicapped by having a 42 man roster, plus weak coaching from the likeable but nervous Paul La BarneyFife

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

2008 actually. Trestman's first year. We also did it in 2005 and guess what? we went to the grey cup both years so i don't really mind.

I didn't see any killing of any kind tonight except on the first few drives. Defence adjusted wonderfully and it all came down to a final 54 yard FG miss. No big deal to me.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Your defensive secondary can't cover, deuvl. No pass rush, either. Both go hand in hand. It's all up to the linebackers to make the plays. Chip Cox won't make it through the season at this rate as he'll be all beat up.

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

There was plenty of pass rush in the second half. what were Ricky's stats in that half? Granted the offence played more conservatively.

6. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I don't know, man.

I think that the long run of Montreal dominance is just about over.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

That's fine by me. We've had a very good run and even if we're not dominant we're still tough to beat at home. As long as this team competes game in and game out I'm happy with it. I've been following this team the past 15 years and it's the first year I actually don't mind losing. That's how full my cup is. Besides Toronto didn't exactly crush us either. We still have 2 more meetings that can go either way.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Losing can manifest itself. Look at the Bombers. Won the GC in 1984, 88 & 90 but haven't won a GC since then. Had great teams all during that time & until 1994. If you had asked me back then how many more Grey Cups we would win in the next 25 years, I'd have said 4 or 5. Look what happened. Never be satisfied with losing as you never know how long it is going to last. Again, look at the Bombers for an example.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I feel that the Bombers have been through what they've been through for a reason and a purpose. Here's a good example: the 2002 alouettes won their first grey cup in 25 years by scoring 25 points in edmonton and allowing 16 which was the number of years since they went defunct in 1986. I just feel that our time has past and we're in a transition phase with AC nearing retirement. It used to be torture watching this team win during the season and then fall short in the playoffs as the stamps did the last few years. I just appreciate not having to really stress over this team's losses anymore.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jim Plop is no Royce Shivers, Adam Rita or Drowsy Joe Mack - he's a pro GM and if he's still committed to football in Montreal he'll use this year as a rebuild (Als are still good enough to give most teams a run but they are not the Als of the dynasty years)

Main reasons -

1. Loss of Ben Cahoon now reverberates throughout the organization
    2. AC is suddenly old and vulnerable to attacking Ds
    3. Bryan Chiu's retirement affected entire o-line
    4. Jeff Reinbold arrived.
    5. Trestmensch is playing coy about staying or leaving (look at his contract)
    6. Jammer Richardson still good - NOT GREAT...
    7. Lack of discipline on O, D & ST (Hello, Jeff Reinbold)

Still a team that doesn't let itself fall totally apart a la Riders under Grampa or Bombers under Bauer.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

I actually agree with your comments about Calvillo. Last year I still felt he was the best QB in the league not Lulay--although it was a different Alouette who I thought should have won the MOP. He was still efficient and made next to no mistakes even if the numbers weren't as big as in years past. This year though he really seems to be struggling to get much done with the abuse he's taking every night. I think it's finally starting to catch up to his aging body. He looks like he's in pain every time he takes off the helmet on the sidelines.

Still, he's a battler as he showed against Calgary a few weeks ago. If you give him an opening he still has the veteran savvy to make you pay for it.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

AC has unparalleled veteran savvy, no question. He'll ravage you if he's not bothered.

However, AC's game involves holding the ball that extra half-second until his final read is made, making his 40 yr old body vulnerable to 280 to 310 lb. d-linemen putting hits on him, either applying hard body action to the ribs or planting him to turf. Don't know how much more the guy can withstand but I give him full credit for courage.

He can still put up nice passing numbers, just he's getting closed down in the scoring zone.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jack Jacobs, the immortal who came up to Winnipeg in 1949 or 50 and created The House that Jack Built (ie. Winnipeg Stadium) was only 34 when the wheels fell off. I remember reading a Jack Matheson piece in an old bomber program that spoke about Jacobs barely being able to walk, his feet were that bad. He still had his big arm but could barely move after taking snaps from centre and had no mobility in the pocket. He retired shortly after, around 1954 or 55.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Your reason #3 Nate... Josh Bourke is a great left tackle. Even though Chiu was a center & guard, I think Bourke's play really solidifies their line. OL play in Montreal isn't a problem IMO. Here in Calgary, we've never been the same since the retarded decision was made to let Ben Archibald go. How freaking stupid was that????? Almost as dumb as the Bombers drafting Etienne instead of Coehoorn.

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nothing can be as dumb as drafting a 6'3", 155 lb receiver but letting Archy go is darn close. That o-line last night was frightful.

When the cameras panned the Stamps sideline near the end, Huffer had a sort of Muhammed Ali expressionless mask on his face. Not a good sign.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Our Canadian talent on our offensive line other than Tsoumpas isn't that good. Deane is coming off a brutal leg injury & may never be the player he could have become. Myddleton is an average OL; not good, not great but serviceable. He'll never be an all star so he won't dominate. Both Gott & DeWitt are struggling at center. Not because they can't block but because they aren't great gun snappers so they can't just concentrate on their blocks after the snap. Think we don't miss Tim O'Neill??? The only truly great Canadian player on that line is Tsoumpas but he can't do it all by himself. I don't doubt that the run game's troubles start there on the OL BUT... you can't have a running back like Cornish call out his line. I don't care if it is Walter Payton, as a good teammate, you just don't do that.