Morin-plante Took The Road Less Travelled

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

20120919-161001-g.jpg

Morin-Plante took the road less travelled, now he’s the first pro football player from Drummondville
    Former Laval star in the mix for Stamps’ Canadian receiver spot
    Kristen Odland, Calgaryherald.com

Growing up in Drummondville, Que., football wasn’t exactly a guy’s main sport of choice.

But Yannick Morin-Plante went against the norm and found himself with the University of Laval Rouge Et Or, winning two Vanier Cups, and eventually making his way into the Canadian Football League draft this past spring.

“Yeah, there is a lot of football (in the area), but it’s not a big football city,” the 23-year-old was saying at McMahon Stadium on Monday. “It’s more hockey down there. That’s why I went to Quebec to play football. I’m the only one from Drummondville to play professional, so it’s nice. I grew up watching the Alouettes and the NFL on TV, too.”
    The third-round Calgary Stampeders draft pick finds himself far away from home in his first professional football training camp, learning an English-playbook and hanging out in an English-speaking locker-room — all big adjustments for the six-foot, 200-pound rookie.

With long-snapper and Montreal native Randy Chevrier acting as the unofficial buffer, Morin-Plante can ask questions to a handful of other French-speaking players such as receiver Jabari Arthur, and Etienne Lagare, who also went to Laval.

All of which has been making the transition relatively smooth.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...orin+Plante+took+road+less/8506569/story.html