Post Game Mustang Musings: Back to the Future

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

The Thumper would have been proud.

A 14-7 win.

A swarming defence that never quit.

An offence that was powered on the ground with just enough passing to keep the defence honest.

Good old-fashioned, smash mouth football.

There was a time, back in the late-sixties, when my passion for Canadian football was new found and young, that low scoring, defensive struggles were as commonplace as the higher scoring aerial assaults under master innovators of the game, such as Jerry Williams, later came to be.

A punishing and harassing Stampeders defence led by MLB Wayne (The Thumper) Harris, flanked by OLBs 'Soupy' Campbell and Jim Furlong, behind DTs Don Luzzi, and Fred James, with Chuck Zickefoose and Dick Suderman at DE, and backed by the likes of Frank Andruski on the corner, and Jerry Keeling at safety.

If you think 14-7 was a low scoring contest, try to stay enthusiastic while witnessing a 4-0 Stampeders victory over the Alouettes at old Molson Stadium in Montreal in September, 1967 with the legendary Peter Liske at the throttles...;)

Last night at McMahon was a throwback to yesteryear and the time when defences were often dominant in the CFL.

But, from the opening drive for the Lions last night in Calgary, it sure didn't look as though it was gonna be a low scoring contest, at least not for the visiting team from the West Coast.

Little did they (or we as fans) know that impressive opening drive for a major for B.C. was going to be the only touchdown of the game, and was, in fact going to be "all she wrote" for any more Lions points on the night...;)

The Heroes:

On Defence:

Juwan Simpson was outstanding roaming the field while doing his finest impression of "Thumper" Harris all game long. Always around the ball, and hitting with a hellacious fury and impact when he got to the ball carrier, Simpson was in on 9 tackles on the night, which amounted to nearly a quarter of the 41 tackles the Calgary defence tallied in the game.

Playing the role of "Soupy" Campbell, to Simpson's "Thumper", Deron Mayo was not far behind with 8 stops of his own along with 1 on ST.

Remaining OLB Keon Raymond was in on 4 tackles along with the game-cinching pick (and weaving 51 yard runback), and that effort was matched by DB Brandon Smith whose own pick-off of Glenn on the Lions' second series of the game was I thought the turning point in the contest, as the Lions never really recovered to mount a serious threat afterward with Calgary's defence becoming ever more smothering as the game drew on.

The Stampeders' D-line had a generally quiet night statistically, although the front four succeeded in getting close to Glenn in the Lions' backfield, and in flushing him out a number of times, as well as in hurrying his throws. They really miss Charleston Hughes back there, as he's clearly "the straw that stirs the drink" for the Stampeders' defensive front, as I think Lemon and Evans both work better and more effectively as complementary pieces to Hughes. Platooning at DT, young Canadians Quinn Smith and Junior Turner deserve mention as they got Calgary's only 2 sacks in the game.

On Offence:

The incomparable Jon Cornish. Nobody does it better. He took Calgary's sluggish offence on his back, even with the Lions (especially Elimimian) literally dialled in on him from the first touch he got on the ball, and dragged the Stampeders to victory with 156 yards on 20 carries, and another 20 through the air on 3 catches. He just got stronger as the game wore on and the Lions wore out. He's only some 21 yards behind the league leader in rushing having only played 7 games on the season. With a monster game in Regina next weekend, it's not inconceivable that Corndog could crack the 1000 yard mark in only 8 games played. A phenomenal player, without whom this Stampeders club would be back there battling with the rest of the pack.

And for anybody who hasn't yet read this piece, here's a link to an article by the Vancouver Province's Lowell Ullrich concerning B.C.'s regrets about passing on Cornish in the 2006 CFL draft, and in how close he may have come to joining his hometown Lions 3 years ago: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/f...oss+Cornish+warms+Calgary/10242930/story.html

I hope with his current links to Calgary, those aspirations have now been replaced by a desire to retire as a Calgary Stampeder...:)

Among the receivers, few stood out (mainly because they were consistently overthrown while completely open with, for instance, West, Price and Sinopoli all being in position for long receptions that would likely have turned what was largely a defensive struggle for both teams into a laugher for the Stampeders). While long catches were hard to come by, Tate did complete a throw down the east sidelines to Price that went for 60 yards, and I thought Anthony Parker made a couple of really nice possession catches in traffic which went for another 26 yards. And of course, as mentioned above, Cornish produced 20 yards of offence on a few shuttle passes thrown inside to him.

After that, only single catches or a medley of short gainers for the other 3 Calgary receivers who got their hands on the ball (West, Sanders and Lewis).

However, despite Calgary's only sporadically effective offence, I would be remiss in failing to mention the collective efforts of Calgary's O-Line. By modern standards, 350 yards of offence in a game is not jaw-dropping, but 189 of them came on the ground after the Calgary line began dominating BC's defensive front as the game wore on.

On ST:

With only a 4 for 6 performance, and one of his FG attempts being blocked, you wouldn't normally figure on naming your kicker a "Game Hero". However, Rene Paredes came through when it counted, and the points he counted (aside from a third quarter safety conceded by the Lions), were all Calgary would compile. Without those successful kicks, Calgary loses this game. Pretty hard not to give 'El Matador' a shout out in that light...;)

Until Sanders got injured, I thought with each successive punt he caught, he was ever-more dangerous and was a constant threat to break one for the distance, and Brad Sinopoli did not look at all out of place as a punt returner once Sanders left the field, with each of them averaging 17 and 14 yards, respectively, in returns on the punts they fielded.

For the Lions:

On defence
    there was Elimimian. Ten tackles with some monster hits, and a recovery of Moniz's fumble on a QB scramble.

Bighill had 6 more for the Lions along with a sack, while Westerman and Bazzie each had 4 and a sack.

On offence, not much to write about from a Lions perspective.

Andrew Harris played hard and racked up 76 yards on the ground before he was himself "racked up" and left the game. Manny Arceneaux was a factor early with 3 catches for 39 yards, but a harassed and ineffective Glenn could not get the ball to him with the game on the line.

On ST, Schmitt was the busier punter, and he outkicked Calgary's Maver, but in fairness many of the Lions' punts were wind-assisted efforts.

The Near-Ohs:

Both of the starting QBs.

For Calgary, Tate had a marginally better game than he did last week against the Als. But only marginally. :( He completed just over half of his 23 pass attempts for a paltry 162 yards, while overthrowing wide open receivers both on long and shorter routes when a completion of even one of those passes could have entirely altered the complexion of the game. Cornish and a solid defence won this game. If he's starting next week in Regina, he needs to be much better. I think Tate himself knows that, but I guess the question is whether he's able to do anything about it. But after the last 2 starts, I'm beginning to have my doubts...:grumpy:

For B.C.'s Kevin Glenn, much the same story. Only worse. A slightly higher completion rate (58 per cent) on 25 tosses, but for 35 fewer yards, and he threw 2 picks (the second of which effectively ended the game on an underthrow on a deep pattern to Arceneaux with the result still in the balance and just over a minute to go). Wonder what Benevides now thinks of the (swindle) "trade of the century" for Glenn in the off-season? The more I consider the matter, the more I think I should have just put Glenn in with "The Zeroes"...

Speaking of which...

The Zeroes:

Only one.

In a near shut-out effort by the defence, it is truly a shame they didn't get one to match the rarity posted by the Eskimos only the night before. The Stampeders defence finally joined the game in the second series for the Lions, but their lack of focus and intensity on that first series cost them an opportunity for a really special result, given how they excelled at their assignments for the balance of the game. ;)

But, if that's the worst thing I can come up with in criticism of the Stampeders' defence, I guess it was a pretty good night! ;)

And it was. :D

Tundra's Turning Point:

As I had said above, for me it was Brandon Smith's interception on the Lions' second series of the game. That's a very early juncture in the contest for a turning point to occur, but after that pick, the Lions' offence never seemed to truly get back in sync, and the Stampeders' defence got ever more confident and surlier.

What was your turning point in the game?

Next up:

The 'riders under the Friday Night Lights of Mosaic.

First encounter with the Green Horde since that W(T)F debacle last November at McMahon.

A win in Regina next weekend would all but cinch a first place finish for Calgary and secure a bye into the Western Final.

Can Tate play better?

Will the defence play as well?

And if not, can we please have BLM, Jeff Fuller and Charleston Hughes back? :D

Hey sports fans, for the answers to these and a multitude of other burning questions, please stay tuned!

TM

Tags:
    oilpatchhilbily, Liske and Madman like this.
  2. Liske

Liske Member

Good observations TM.

Liske's Log:

The name of the game tonight was defense.

Juwan Simpson can be a monster middle linebacker. Tonight he did the monster mash: 9 tackles, all of them very timely stops. Simpson was blanketing Andrew Harris all over the field, limiting the great BC tailback to 76 yards. Keon Raymond was also scary, covering the receivers on his side and getting an interception late in the game to seal the deal and snuff out any signs of hope for the Leos. Fred Bennett sent BC wide receiver Bryan Burnham to the bench with a crushing hit, and Smitty (Brandon Smith), who snared the Stamps' other interception, also had a strong game. The D-line managed only 2 sacks but they had pressure on Kevin Glenn most of the game. Kevin Glenn never really got into a rhythm after the first scoring drive. Both Junior Turner and Freddie Bishop played above their heads and almost made us forget all about Charleston Hughes.

Offense

Tate continued to look very mediocre, passing for less than 170 yards with only a 50% completion rate. Other than the two deep plays, he overthrew 3 wide open receivers, was sacked 3 times, and just looked out of sync with his receivers. To be honest, Tate looked lost much of the time. I don't know what it is, but Tate seems to be at his best only when he comes off the bench cold as a back up. So far, Tate has been an average or below average QB when he starts, even with a high winning percentage. But in order to win those games he's needed to have a great supporting cast. You saw the difference that someone like Cornish makes on offense. Without Corndog, it's safe to say BC would probably have won this game. These past two games have shown why Huf made the right decision about who would be the number one QB at the start of the season.

Special Teams

Paredes saved Tate's bacon tonight. Special teams were aggressive and covered their lanes well. BC had absolutely no break out kick returns or punt returns, not even a sniff. Jock Sanders continues to impress, scampering to find little seams and openings while gaining good positive yardage on returns, something Larry Taylor had struggled a little bit with last season when he was still in red and white.

Turning Point

Since this was a quintessential low scoring defensive battle with the game in doubt until near the end, my turning point came in the third quarter when Cornish broke his first big run deep into BC territory. From then on, the BC front four and Solomon Elimimian, who was spying Cornish all night, seemed to noticeably sag and wear down. This allowed Cornish to rack up more yardage, finishing with 156 on the night. It also gave the offense just enough field position for Paredes to keep putting points on the scoreboard.

Goat Play of the Game

Keenan MacDougall's contacting the kicker penalty on BC punter Ricky Schmitt. Keenan was obviously pumped for the game, but he made a mental error that could have proven very costly.

Looking Ahead:

Interesting schedule:

Saskatchewan
    Winnipeg
    Saskatchewan
    Winnipeg
    BC

#2 Liske, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Two great write ups!

Although, we may need to work on the name of your Liske. :eek: :stop:

Liske Laments

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Lisk-ee business.

Flash and Madman like this.
  5. Rids

Rids Member

Here's the poster to edit for Liske...

[​IMG]

6. Liske

Liske Member

I'm open to suggestions.

Liske's locker?

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Liske's likes and tsks

#7 deuvl, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Liske's Leaders 'n Losers

TM

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Locked and Liske

10. Liske

Liske Member

Update to the game against BC:
    Lions wide receiver Bryan Burnham suffered a lacerated spleen from the hit by Fred Bennett. Burnham is actually still in hospital in Calgary.
    RB Andrew Harris suffered a dislocated ankle and will probably be out for the remainder of the season.

Stamps' returner Jock Sanders left the game with what is now known to be a re-injury of his ankle. Not serious, but he will miss the next game or two.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

could be another low scoring defensive battle friday in regina unless Tate can start doing what we know he can do.

12. Liske

Liske Member

Huf is hinting that Bo Mitchell will be starting on Friday.

#12 Liske, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014