Post Game Mustang Musings: "Like candy from a baby..."

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Some of the articles on the game have Cornish "ripping off" the Bombers for over 200 yards.

If used in the context of "something for nothing", that's an apt description.

Of the entire game.

And in all phases.

The rewards were there for the taking.

At will, from the hands of what at times seemed like an almost defenceless infant.

Running at will, passing at will, and seemingly scoring at will with a "stop us if you can" mentality, the Stampeders did just that all game long until the final minute, when, with nothing at all at stake, and inside the Bombers' 10 yard line, the Stampeders finally gave it up on downs to a Bomber team who otherwise appeared incapable of halting the juggernaut arrayed before them.

But by then, the Stampeders had long since called off the dogs, having decided to rest both Cornish and Glenn for almost the entire 4th quarter, and having begun the liberal substitution of their reserve personnel.

Calgary played the last quarter of the game that way, and with their final points coming on a Paredes field goal with 12:35 left to play in the 'contest', the Stampeders clearly just weren't even trying anymore.

With a few notable exceptions, Winnipeg played almost the entire game that way...;)

The Heroes:

Glenn: complete game from the Calgary starter, and perhaps his best effort of the year, with 320 yards passing, a 74 per cent completion rate, 2 majors, and no picks on what amounted to only 3/4ths of a game played.

West: fresh after having spent literally half the season on the "9-game IR", West showed what can happen when he's a healthy contributor, and how much he's been missed. He caught 8 balls for 120 yards, and opened up some lanes underneath and across the field for the other Calgary receivers.

McDaniel (with 5 catches for 123 yards and a score) and Price (4 balls for 46 and a major) each had solid games, and an 'Honourable Mention' goes out to Sinopoli for his 4 for 38 performance, a couple of which were clutch 2nd down conversions.

Cornish: monster game with 208 yards on only 17 carries, and the best single game* of his career. (*I think the fans who are wont to place an asterisk behind his name concerning his record-breaking* performance last season, might want to consider placing one behind his name for last night's game: his 208 yards was achieved on only 46 minutes of game time. One wonders what his numbers might have been had he been left in for the full contest. ;) No matter, he got a breather after re-assuming the CFL rushing lead (which, it says here, he won't relinquish), and he'll get an opportunity to build on what he's already achieved and get himself primed for the pending playoffs.

The oline: as a group they (man)handled and completely shut down the Winnipeg front 7 (as you'd expect when your featured running back rushes for the 'double-century' mark and your starting QB has his own best game of the year). Great group play and special kudos to Jones and Gott on the interior of that line.

Brooks: a chase-down of Ford after a 70 yard run to save a TD, several key knockdowns, 5 tackles and a pick. The guy was everywhere on the field! The defensive stalwart of the game...:D

Randle, Bennett and Simpson also had their moments for Calgary's defence, which, although they surrendered nearly 400 yards to the Bomber's offence, only gave up 4 points through the game.

Maver: once again, out-punted his counterpart, and laid several precision kicks down inside Winnipeg's 15 to pin them deep.

Paredes: perfect place-kicking as usual from "El- Automatador" but as a tackler, I'm glad his job is to kick FG's and converts! ;)

For Winnipeg, Ford: with 156 yards from scrimmage, a constant threat to score when running the ball, and he actually did score when he returned a kickoff 100 yards in the 3rd quarter to make the score more respectable for the Bombers.

Honourable mention to the 'Hogs up Front' for the Bombers who did a creditable job in creating some rushing lanes for Ford, and in limiting Calgary's pressure on Hall to no more than a few hurries and only a single sack (by Law).

And although I thought Winnipeg's front 7 had a poor game as a group, Henoc Muamba with 10 tackles was certainly involved in the play, and, Sears, as a beleaguered DB, pitched in with 8 tackles of his own when the front 7 couldn't bring down Cornish or one of the underneath Calgary receivers.

The Zeroes:

Calgary's special teams coverage and blocking weren't at all 'special': not much room for Taylor (not that he did much with what he had :rolleyes:), and generally poor tackling on coverage when the Bombers were returning their kicks.

Poor tackling by Calgary's defence also contributed to the yardage Winnipeg rolled up, and Calgary's front 7 were less of a factor than they frequently are. On this night, however, it's a good thing it didn't much matter...;)

The 'zeroes' on the Bombers' side of the ledger were too numerous to mention, and I think are obvious to all. I won't rub 'salt in the wound' by rolling out the lengthy list of Bomber 'dishonourables'...;)

So maybe it was stolen candy.

But you play the schedule the league gives you.

And virtually everybody else has had a couple of 'licks' at Winnipeg's 'lollipops' this year.

So it was just our turn. ;)

And lick 'em we did! :D

Mustang Musings will be on hiatus for the next couple of games while my family and I explore the wilds of New England over the next two weekends.

But by 'popular demand' I hope to be back, and in the saddle, for another column of Musings following the October 26th game against the Lions...

Until then, StampsFans, I hope the Boys in Red can keep on keepin' on! ;)

TM

Tags:
    Doogie58 and Madman like this.
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

If Messam gets 200 next week then we can argue the 'ripping off' theory.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

If he does, you'll be arguing without me...;)

TM

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

it was the proverbial 'we' of course.

awwww......3 whole weeks without Mustang Musings. what a drag man........ guess we'll have to do with Flash's Fumings or Jayman's Jabberings.

5. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

Good job as always TM. Since you are in New England, are you going to get a chance to see a Patriots game. I would go just to see Tom Brady play live. Have a good vaycay Tundra!

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Doogie!

I've checked but tickets to the Patriots are just not available for casual purchase (unless you managed to get online and buy some of the handful of single game seats they hold for general sale each year in July; I'm advised they've been sold out at every home game at Foxboro since the 90's, but if you've got a decade or two on your hands and don't mind the wait, for 100 bucks they'll place you on a season's ticket waiting list...I should live so long! ;)).

They're at home to the Saints this weekend, and I'm sure that if money's no object, you could probably find a willing scalper to sell you a seat or two, but...

I'm already committed to go to the Bruins-Wings game with Ciannie on Columbus Day in Boston (which is Thanksgiving Monday for us Canucks) where the tickets we've already purchased are $150.00 US per seat (and my daughter the consummate 'Broons fan' is now looking for an upgrade! :p), so I don't know how much more strain I can place on the sports entertainment budget.

Still, I've been to Fenway, and as of Monday the TD Garden will be off my list, so it would sure be nice to have completed the New England sports "trifecta" and make my way into Gillette Stadium to boot...hmmmnn...;)

I'll give you a shout once I'm back, Doogie...I'm gonna try to get to Calgary for the October 26th rematch with the 'riders!

TM

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Red Sox could still be playing by then. They have guided tours for a mere 16 dollars that allow you to go on the field and in the press box. Had a blast myself.

8. Rids

Rids Member

Deuvl...sports travel agent.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

You want two tix to see the Dodgers? Didn't think so. :wacky: