Post Game Mustang Musings: "The Dirty Dozen..."

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Or, for the sometimes mathematically challenged in Riderworld, perhaps "The Tarnished Thirteen".....;)

Led by the inimitable Dwight Anderson, that 'rider team last night was guilty of at least 4 UR penalties of 15 yards, and several others which were not called (including a first quarter head-shot by Tearious George on Glenn)

Couple those with the "unsportsmanlike conduct" call made on the Saskatchewan bench along with the pouting, sulking and confrontational behavior of Kory Sheets on the 'rider sidelines after Cortez failed to use him on two successive plays inside Calgary's 5, you have the makings of a dangerously dysfunctional, over-hyped, and nearly out of control football team over on the flatlands to the East.

But, hey, what else is new? :p

Last night's loss looked real good on them and their fanbase.

But the victory looked even better on our guys! :D

Had Calgary not committed 4 fumbles in the first half, (all of them lost), which led directly to more than half of the points the 'riders would score in the game, this game would not have finished with a margin as narrow as it was.

But superior poise, self-confidence and composure in the face of adversity saw the Stampeders, on both sides of the ball (starting with the defence who held them in until the offence caught up), put it together when everything was on the line.

The Heroes:

Tate came in behind by 5 points and authored 2 particularly impressive long drives for major scores which put the Stampeders back in control of the game. His numbers weren't especially remarkable nor were they much different than what Glenn put up (including his single fumble to Glenn's two), but there was a palpably different tempo to the game when Tate was at the throttle. (Glenn for his part, seemed to suffer from the "deer in the headlights" syndrome we've unfortunately seen from him before in "big games").

Fuller: real nice game from the newest Stampeders receiver with 6 catches for 113 yards, a couple of which were clutch grabs at critical points of the game.

McDaniel: 4 grabs for 82 yards and an impressive 63 yard over-the-shoulder catch to finally put him over the 1000 yard mark on a season for the first time in his career. :D Solid contributions from Price and Arthur as well!

Cornish: after he got over his early game jitters, another great game at running back turned in by the player who is not only the best Canadian tailback in the CFL, but the best running back period. It was all on display for everyone to see. And everyone did. Take that, you asshole, Kory Sheets! :blackeye: I expect that Corndog will get an opportunity from the club next Friday to extend his personal record of 1799 yards beyond the once unthinkable club record set by the great Willie Burden almost two generations ago. I was privileged to witness Burden do it, and I'm looking forward to see Jon now eclipse that record.

The oline also deserves some recognition for some nice adjustments in the second half, which kept the onrushing 'rider defensive front out of Tate's face, and they continued to open up some good running lanes for Cornish.

On the defence, what can you say about the big-time, big-game play of Hughes and Calgary's front seven? When they were challenged to elevate their game, they not only put a seal around Sheets so tight they could've marketed him at Sears in the bedding department ;), but they also harassed Durant all game (and with some support from their secondary), sacked the harried 'riders pivot 7 times! Hughes had 5 tackles and 3 sacks, followed closely behind by Law who had 4 stops and 2 sacks, while MLB Simpson had 6 tackles and a sack, and fellow LB Raymond was credited with the final one along with a couple of stops. Bolden didn't have the gaudy stats of some of his linemates, but he effectively plugged up the middle and also brought great pressure up through the centre on Durant.

None of the Saskatchewan receivers had stellar games, in part due to the play of Calgary's defensive backfield. I thought both Brooks and Randle had tough starts, but both manned up as the game wore on, and Brooks finished with 5 tackles, while Randle had 3 along with the game-clinching pick.

Paredes was only perfect. Yet again. ;) "Just another performance" from the best PK in the game!

Maver had another solid outing, outkicking his counterpart in green by 6 yard margin.

The rest of ST, well, not so "special"....:palm:

The Zeroes:

Can I select the entire team in green? :D

No?

Well, I guess the 'riders did play well on defence.... :cigar:

So...I'll just name a couple:

Anderson: a talented DB, certainly, but he's always been a motormouth, and his trash-talking and always-on-the-edge undisciplined style of play sometimes hurts his own team. Last night was one of them.

Sheets: No class. Outclassed. Nothing more to say. Okay, one more thing: I don't remember if I've said this before, but Kory Sheets is an asshole...and you can tell him I said so! ;)

I've already got my WF tickets and will be at McMahon 3 weeks from now.

Are you ready for me, Cowtown? :D

TM

Tags:
    Doogie58, oilpatchhilbily and Madman like this.
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Another great read - good to have MM back.

3. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

We'll be ready for you Tundra! Will be good to see to for a third time this season!

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

We'll be seeing you and Cecilia for sure, Doogie! :D

I guess three's a new record for meetups!

Twice last year.

Now three.

Goin' for the quad in '14? ;)

TM