Post Game Mustang Musings

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

No Cornish.

No Nik.

No Mo.

No Bo...(ummnnn, sorry 'bout that...got carried away on a bit of a rhyming roll there!)

No problem.

For the team that's personified the phrase "Next man up" for the past couple of CFL seasons, leaving 3 starters mending at home made no difference to the guys in red and white, who thoroughly trounced the Argonauts at home by a score of 34-15 before a near invisible crowd of just over 16,000 at the Rogers Centre.

Unlike some of their previous visits to Toronto, the Stampeders came prepared, and focused, and executed their game plan to near perfection, dominating the Argos in all three phases of the game.

The Heroes:

BLM: Hooked up with running back Jock Sanders and SB Anthony Parker on a first half lateral razzle-dazzle play immediately followed by a 58 yard spiral bomb that Parker took over his shoulder in full stride and into the end-zone. 16 for 24 and 267 yards on the night, with fully a quarter of those completions being major scores. He's now won his first 5 starts and, with a couple more, is on pace to equal Jeff Garcia's record for most consecutive wins at the start of a CFL career. If Bo has anything like the CFL career Garcia had in Calgary (but with a hoped-for much longer stay than Jeff had!), Stampeders fans are going to be very lucky indeed!

Parker: A breakout game for the young Canadian veteran who I think has been placed in a "make it or break it" role with the club in his 4th season with Calgary. I thought he looked composed and confident all game long while snagging 4 catches for 101 yards and a TD, and contributing another 17 yards as a ball carrier in a perfectly executed end-around.

Fuller: Another nice game from the best pure receiver on the team. Only 58 yards on 5 receptions but 2 of those were 6 points apiece.

McDaniel, Sinopoli and Walter (in a relief role) all made nice contributions to Calgary's passing game, and Walter (again in a relief role for the missing Cornish) also churned out a workmanlike 46 yard effort on the ground.

Calgary's O-line: They didn't run as much as they usually do when Jon Cornish is out there to take the hand-off, but their "running-by-committee" approach still generated 100 yards on the ground, which means someone was out there doing the blocking, and more importantly, Bo was not sacked at all in the game, and (razzle dazzle plays and a couple of scrambles aside), Calgary's quarterback really wasn't pressured a lot in the pocket all game long. Somebody was out their providing him with that protection. Kudos to the Stampeders entire O-line (young veterans and rookies alike), who played a nearly error-free game in manhandling Toronto's D-line and linebackers and allowing Calgary's playmakers to do what they do best.

Calgary's defence: In a classic "bend-but-don't -break" display, the Argonauts rarely got open deep on the Stampeders. Even without Mayo and Raymond, who both left the game early with injuries, the "Next man up" mentality was employed with as much determination on the defensive side of the ball as it was on offence. Toronto managed only 5 field goals on the outing following a number of long drives while quarterbacked by Ricky Ray. I thought Ray played well (he completed more passes for more yardage than BLM), but he was never given enough time to set up for the deep throw, and was being constantly rocked and socked by Calgary's front 7 all game long. The Stampeders were credited with 3 sacks (but I really thought the first one by Lemon-which head referee Andre Proulx snatched away by calling it a head shot, and issuing a major penalty on the play- should have stood. I watched the play over and over several times and I have yet to see Lemon's helmet contact Ray's, as RR turned to his right just as Lemon was barreling on to him, and that action forced his helmet out of contact range. I have no difficulties with calling a major on a head shot (you gotta protect your stars) but I don't agree that this was one of 'em! :mad:. There wasn't an array of players who stood out, but as a group their play was stellar. From the front 7, Hughes, Simpson, and Love each got a sack (and, in my view as stated above, Lemon should have been credited with one, too). Out of the DB's, Buddy Jackson had a strong game with 6 tackles, but Lin-J Shell bested that with 8 of his own.

Calgary's STs: Maver as usual, punted well, but Paredes had a rare off-night with only 2 of 4 FG attempts splitting the uprights (and one of those was even blocked). After last game's near gaffe by Sanders, I was certain he'd take a knee at the back of Calgary's end-zone on a wide FG attempt by Watters, but he instead lugged it out of there when he found a seam down the left sideline and damn near took it the distance all the way down to the Argo 9 yard line. Shucks, whadda I know....:lock:

Toronto: Ray, as stated above, generally played well (but just couldn't lead his club into the end-zone against a stubborn Calgary defence). Owens also had a good game with 9 balls caught for 102 yards, and Watters, who accounted for all of their scoring, was 5 of 6 in FG attempts. After that, not much...

The Zeroes:

Calgary's red pants: Man I thought those looked just gawdawful!

And that's it.

Well aside from Andre Proulx, maybe, but I don't have enough keystrokes left to get into that. ;)

Besides, with their second win of the season pocketed in convincing fashion, and having to reach into Calgary's wardrobe to find something to whine about, I've really got no reason to bitch... :D

Next:

Calgary's opening third of the season played in the Eastern conference continues next Friday at McMahon against the struggling Tiger-cats.

My money's on the Stampeders.

Again. ;)

TM

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

Nice musings.

I would have just added that one of the stories of the game for the Argos was penalties. I think they ended up with something like 150 yards in penalties. Many of those were drive killers for their offense, and drive extenders for ours.

I don't mind the red pants that much, I would prefer the white. What I didn't like was the return of the black helmet. They should have kept the red lids.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought that penalties were going to be an issue (only against the Stampeders) early in the game with Proulx in charge of the penalty flag crew.

But as the contest drew on, the penalties began to even out, then eventually tilted dramatically in favour of Calgary, and I would agree that these were ultimately a definite factor in the game.

I'd bet Proulx's crew is no more popular in Toronto after this game than it first looked to me early in the game like they were gonna be in Calgary once the contest was over.

TM

4. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

How many yards were the stamps accessed! The same could be said for the Stamps in the first half it was like they concentrated on the guys in red! But by the second half it changed the opposite way.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Another great post game analysis TM.

And I like your new library. :cool:

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for your kind support, Madman.

(Spent most of the day on Sunday first marinating then smoking beef and pork back ribs on the BBQ on a very hot afternoon here in Edmonton, so I got to the Musings posting in between the tong turnings, hence the delay, and the occasional breaks in my train of thought :p).

As for the Library, I'm glad you like it since you were certainly instrumental in creating it! :D

And just for the record, I work every day in an environment where that backdrop seems somehow strangely familiar...

I wonder....

Nah, probably just a coincidence...;)

TM

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys, how 'bout a shout out?

Are you reading this blog?

This is the second year of its inception.

I know the regulars around here read it, 'cause I get their comments from time to time, and they have my thanks for it.

What about the rest of you?

The "irregulars"...or semi-regulars who sometimes visit us, and read our postings?

Do you agree with my take on the games?

If yes, let me know.

If not, let me know that, too.

Don't be shy.

Let us know what you think.

For or against.

Doesn't matter.

My own view of the game, I already know.

I don't write for me.

My posting of my perception on the game is to generate conversation.

Let's have some...;)

TM

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

The officiating through the first 3 weeks has been inconsistently brutal. Otherwise another great assessment on the game. After being a graveyard for this team to win in TO, that is two in a row with Walters the starter at RB. In hindsight maybe Huff should have started Walter and Mitchell in the Grey Cup.
    I know this might be off tangent but I would give the TSN panel a thumbs down. I know I'm a homer, but outside of Shultz the rest of the panel is as bad as the refereeing in the league.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for that, Bumpnrun! :D

TM