NBL Basketball

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Rids, May 10, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Checked out the NBL website... Well, as much as I like to watch basketball & have always wanted to see a basketball league in all CFL cities plus a few others like Windsor, Halifax, Saskatoon & London... As long as there are teams in little towns like Charlottetown & Moncton with no teams west of Southern Ontario I have no interest. I have no idea where the team in Charlottetown plays as the facility must be a high school gym. At least Moncton has a 6,000 seat arena. I used to go to the Calgary 88's game in the early 90's. That was the World Basketball league where players taller than 6'4 couldn't play. The quality of the basketball played was pretty good even though I thought that a height restriction would kill the WBL & I believe it ultimately did.

3. Rids

Rids Member

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Five hundred people a game & even 2,000 won't cut it... I wonder how the Continental Basketball Assn would do up here?

5. Rids

Rids Member

The old CBA is dead and buried. There was a southern Alberta team for a few years but it didn't draw well.

Of course there is a ABA team in Calgary again and they've lasted longer than the first version and Edmonton has a IBL team. Both have done well on the court but not sure what they've managed to do financially. Edmonton's team has played in a championship series while Calgary finished this year 16-1.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Continental Basketball Association is dead? Too bad as the league had a lot of history. Didn't know that. Didn't even know Calgary had an ABA franchise. Are they playing?? The ABA team here in 2004 was a major cluster****. Some of these smaller centres in Canada though are not what I consider "major league" by any sense of the word at all. I wouldn't even call a team located in a town of 25,000 to be even minor league. I don't even know what it would be considered.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You know, when you consider just how poorly Canadians support amateur & professional sports, it is amazing the CFL has done so well. If it isn't the NHL Canadians really don't care... Not surprising professional soccer, basketball & baseball have suffered & died in the past.

8. Rids

Rids Member

Isaiah Thomas bought the league and then was offered the head coaching job with the Knicks. The NBA has a rule against employees of teams (even coaches) owning franchises even if they are in another league so he shut the doors.

The Crush had a great season this year. 16-1 record with most of their games held at SAIT (unbalanced schedule with more home games than road games).

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Too bad the local media never covered the games. ABA, Rids? I had no idea.

10. Flash

Flash Member

Can't trust the ABA. So many teams and they post so little of their history.

11. Avry

Avry Member

Even the Energy are now on hiatus from the IBL really a shame, they were one of the better teams in the league, sucks that pro basketball can't stick in Edmonton, had a blast covering the team for a few seasons.

12. Rids

Rids Member

I once wrote an article about the chances of building a basketball league in Alberta. I believe it could be done at the semi-pro level to put a league into locations around the province with an average about 1,000 in attendance per game and still cover costs. Nobody would get rich but I think you could have six or seven healthy teams. The beauty of basketball is that you can get away with a smaller roster.