News New Arena / Stadium

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by K_O_cowtown, Aug 12, 2015.

1. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

The new arena plans are finally surfacing. Follow @CalgaryNext Some kind of announcement August 18th.

Tags:
  2. K_O_cowtown

Staff Member

3. K_O_cowtown

Staff Member

4. K_O_cowtown

Staff Member

Just got my invite from @CalgaryNext for Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 11:45 a.m. Archie Boyce Theatre - Stampede Grounds to hear new proposal

Madman likes this.
  5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Here the details of the Fieldhouse where the Stamps will play.

[​IMG]

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Liske

Liske Member

#7 Liske, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. Liske

Liske Member

Quick summary:

Football Stadium, hockey arena and public field house would all be built together and adjacent to each other. Residential and commercial development built in the same general area.

Football stadium: approx. 30,000 seats.
    Hockey Arena: approx. 20,000 seats
    Less than capacity parking, to encourage public transportation.
    No finished design details. They are leaning towards an enclosed roof stadium based on public feedback so far.

Funding
    $240 million Community Revitalization Levy (I think this provincial money)
    $250 million ticket tax (not sure if this would be applied to existing tickets or only to tickets for new stadium)
    $200 million city funded field house
    $200 million from CSEC
    Total = $890 million

City would own the land and the buildings.
    CSEC would run operations.

No explanation of how much the creosote contamination clean up would cost, or who would pay for it.

Bumpnrun and Madman like this.
  9. Flash

Flash Member

10. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

30 000 is fine for regular season games, but for playoff games/ hosting the Grey Cup you require a 40 000 seat stadium.
    The seating capacity for Stampeders must be 40 000. (They do plan to be in the playoffs frequently, and host Grey Cups, do they not?)

11. Flash

Flash Member

Was told on Twitter that it'll expand to 50,000.

Don't see a point to holding 30,000 or having no parking. They really must've bought into the idea that people would rather watch at home than at the game.

As for repurposing the McMahon land - isn't that up to the University? Don't they technically own all of that besides Foothills Stadium and the baseball academy thing there?

12. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

WOW big project. I wonder what it is going to cost for a ticket to a game when this vision is built?
    One thing that is unique about attending the Stamps games is the tailgating and festive atmosphere in and around the Stadium. I just think with the new Stadium that opportunity will be lost ( limited parking)

#12 Bumpnrun, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  13. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Hopefully, it will expand to 50 000. The more revenue for the Stamps, the better!

14. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Anything new to add @K_O_cowtown - maybe something specific they told Stamps Fans?

15. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Why CalgaryNEXT will get done… eventually

Five years ago, as the Edmonton Oilers’ arena project teetered on and off the rails on a monthly rotation, I had an off-the-record conversation with a couple of higher-ups in the Calgary Flames organization.

The folks in Calgary were quietly charting every step — and misstep — by the Katz Group up in Edmonton, hoping that when it was their turn, Calgary’s inevitable arena/football stadium/field house project could learn from the Edmonton process and not make any of their own Seattle-sized mistakes. They hoped this would expedite things, so Calgary could get its project done much faster than the five full years of haggling — plus two more to build — that went on in Northern Alberta.

So, what did the Calgarians learn? They learned that there is no fast-tracking a process that asks for this many tax dollars.

“At a gallop, if we were to cut the ribbon on a project like this in five years we’d be very, very happy,” Flames President and CEO Ken King admitted on Tuesday.
    Link

16. jadeonly

jadeonly Member

I welcome the ambition, but I like tailgating and outdoor football

17. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

First off, welcome to the site!

I agree with you, with one condition though - warm outdoor football.

I still enjoy winter football games, but man, if I didn't have to completely bundle up and freeze my ass off, I'd be a very happy camper.

And yes, the tailgating aspect would be a huge loss in the new location. I guess we can all meet under the LRT tracks and cook over burning barrels, that or set up a tent town on the river front.

18. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome from me as well!

There's nothing better than a cold beer on a sunny afternoon at McMahon, whether in the stands or outside at a tailgate in the parking lot.

The problem, however, is that firstly there aren't a lot of games scheduled on warm sunny afternoons in Calgary (or, for that matter, on balmy evenings when a chill doesn't set in once the sun goes down).

That leaves the other days, particularly late in the season and during the playoffs, when (tailgate or not), the experience for fans at McMahon is largely one of endurance of the elements rather than one of enjoyment of the game.

Secondly, McMahon has long since passed its "best before" date (and this is coming from someone who attended his first game there in October, 1964 when the stadium was all of 4 years old).

It has been expanded, tweaked and renovated well beyond the footprint that was designed to contain it, and its days are numbered.

Further renovating it is not the answer.

Building a stand-alone stadium is also not the answer (as the largest expected contributor, government, has little appetite for the expense it will be asked for if the facility is built with no other purpose in mind).

That leaves, in Calgary's case, placing the stadium inside an envelope for which funding might be had, namely inside of a fieldhouse that the City already has on its "want" list.

And that means placing it under a permanent roof structure, and, at least for now, in a setting which has no provision for enough surface parking to allow tailgating by Stampeders fans.

But, if the choice is between a loss of tailgating, as well as the loss of an open-air game experience, or ultimately the potential loss of the franchise itself, I know what I would choose...

TM

19. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

City Council came out with the full report on the CalgaryNEXT project.

Flames' CalgaryNEXT proposal could cost $1.8 billion, double original estimate, says city report
    The Calgary Flames’ ambitious vision to build a professional and amateur sports complex in the West Village hit a major roadblock Wednesday following the release of a city analysis showing CalgaryNEXT could cost ultimately about $1.8 billion and have taxpayers pay up to two-thirds of the tab.

It’s a staggering sum that city hall insiders believe will force the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corp. to regroup and possibly overhaul its $890-million public-private funding scheme to replace the aging Scotiabank Saddledome and McMahon Stadium, deliver a multi-sport field house and kickstart redevelopment in the west end of downtown.

The report heads to council Monday and recommends city administration, the Calgary Municipal Land Corp., Calgary Stampede and Flames ownership consider a new arena on or near Stampede Park, upgrade McMahon Stadium and build a public field house at Foothills Athletic Park.

“CalgaryNEXT,” administration concludes, “is not feasible in its present form or location.”
    Continue reading:
    http://calgaryherald.com/business/c...ion-double-original-estimate-says-city-report

Link to the full City report:
    http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=agenda&itemid=43230

Ken King Interview on the FAN960:

20. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

It sounds like Calgary's version of the Truman sports complex
    In Kansas City. Both stadiums across from each other and parking all around.