New Blood Needed!

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

After viewing the Stampeders-Bombers game it has become painfully obvious (to me, at least) that Richard Sindani, at this point in his career is not someone who is "clutch", when the game is on the line, and is no better than a bench warmer? (A little harsh, but nonetheless, something is "missing.) Perhaps, we can give a slightly higher rating to Markeith Ambles, but he is not a player, IMO, who is anything more than a "fill-in." The Stampeders need more than two receivers that they can count on. As far as the running back position, the Stampeders seem to have a stable of running backs who cannot stay healthy.

Looking to the future, one would hope that the Stampeders will bring in some NFL cuts at running back, receiver, and perhaps, some candidates for the defensive end position, which still appears problematic, IMO.

Tags:
    strujas likes this.
  2. AllSportsCalgary

No real arguments from me. Our receivers can get open, and the qb can get them the ball, but catching it, or holding onto it if they do make the catch seems to be a problem. On the other hand, I am never quite sure what blame to place on someone who has the misfortune of getting injured.

I am less concerned about the DE's the I am kick coverage.

3. mewata fan

mewata fan Member

Totally agree re Sandini. He has been a burden ever since. Dropped balls fumbles. There must be a better replacement out there? Why does Hufnegel tolerate it. Is there something Im missing? 4th quarter a clutch catch and Stampeders might have a feld goal, winning for G sakes. No he missed it. Not entirely uncatchable.
    Also Bo M could be susceptible for further injury down the stretch. Can Arbuckle do it, not convinced. Backup, who?? I was impressed with Bethel-Thompson, verry accurate. Maybe a wise acquisition.
    Also LAW, who is he pushing around own team members? Real nice, good bye.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  4. strujas

strujas Member

Our canadian receiving core is hurtin.

5. strujas

strujas Member

How old is Rob Bagg these days?

6. strujas

strujas Member

Only national receiver that i have confidence in is Brescacin and he's on the 6 game.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Simonise the old Calgary Dino renegade WR could be available - if he hasn't already washed thru the league! Weston Dressler & Rob Bagg would both support Arbuckle and/or Mitchell until their bodies give out - which is after a few games for both.

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I'm most concerned by the borderline average offensive line, the amount of turnovers and the special teams coverage.
    Coming into the season I thought the receivers would be a strength for this team, however, I come away a little disappointed in the fact outside of Rogers the rest of the unit struggle with consistency. Especially with the Canadian Content.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome Mewata!

With a handle like that you hafta be an old-time fan! ;)

Good first post, though maybe a tad harsh on Cordarro Law.

Football is an emotional sport...:D

TM

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Sir Eric Rogers is an absolute beast. He made Adam Bighill & some Wpg. d-backs look like 5 yr old street urchins. Could be attributed to Rogers being an absolute animal - or Winnipeg tackling being inferior as blue bombers train to not wrap up - but go for dive shots. Maybe a bit of both as I can't believe Wpg. tackling is as putrid as I describe!

11. mewata fan

mewata fan Member

Thanks. Lynn Bottoms, Peter Lisk etc remember them all. Yeah I was hard on Law, but you dont do that against your own players, TWICE. Hope he was reprimanded and apologized.
    Still concern with BLM injuries. Arbuckle, good but not great. As I said Bethel Thompson for the down stretch if thats feasible. Might make a big difference. Just my opinion.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

McLeod Bessie Thompson is better than Arbuckle but not enough to defend the Stampeder Grey Cup.
    I think Bo Lev will round into form by Labour Day, or shortly after.
    The big trade I'd like to explore is Bomber-related.
    Mike Reilly (or whats left of him) going to bombers for Matt Nichols plus a package of players (BC needs a good hog OL, maybe some special teamers, neg-list player). Wpg. only CFL team that could pick up Reilly's $700k salary, especially offset by Nichols $480k - thus bombers only need $220 pro-rated from fall trade deadline, might be less than $100k.

If Reilly can get back on the wagon (healthy) he'd be working behind a solid pro o-line with a nice variety of WRs (not quite BC levels but close in Adams, Wolitarsky, Matthews, Demski, Lawler, etc.) plus the workhorse Andrew Harris.

Bold move in a city where boldness is rarely considered vs. actually acted upon.

But Reilly gives the Bombers a far better chance to go grab us a Grey Cup. Matt Nichols is a very average CFL QB with little to no mobility, auto checkdowns to Harris and inability to rally a team to come-from-behind wins.

Chances of Bombers working this kind of deal - currently around 5 to 7.5%, if Nichols struggles, perhaps allowing Bombers to be upended by bad team from BC w/ the Hobbling Hatman (Reilly) or better yet, Sideline Danny O'Brien they'll be more nervous ticks going on in Winnipeg than a Trump White House staff meeting.

13. mewata fan

mewata fan Member

Well with updated news Arbuckle and BLM are ailing. I still say Bethel Thompson could be a savior. Calgary hosts Grey Cup this year, damn shame if they arent there. Mark my words this QB situation is not good especially down the road.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Bombers seldom release injury information due to privacy laws (that's hoke btw) but Phil Nicholson might be out the better part of the year. Separated shoulders do not head rapidly - an automaton like Mike Reilly might be able to regenerate a shoulder in a couple weeks but Nichols is human. He's barely accurate with a good shoulder - he'd be a liability with a bad one that hasn't healed.

Mr. Streveler is a runner with limited diagnostic ability at the pivot spot.

2 guys who bombers could use = Mr. Reilly (The Hatman) or McLeod Bessie-Thompson . . . both have far more durability, precision and elusiveness than Mope Nichols.

Now prying Reilly out of Vancouver - or Thompson out of Toronto that's gonna be hard as the bombers have an arrogance that says they're always negotiating from a position of strength. (hokum)