New Canadian Basketball League

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Rids, Jun 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rids

Rids Member

A little disappointed that they are looking to create a competing league for the NBL rather than make the NBL a better product but here goes nothing...

So they don't want to work with the NBL but are ok with looking at Red Deer and Lethbridge as a market?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/story.html?id=8512076&cid=dlvr.it-twitter-ej_sports

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I was optimistic that maybe this would be a good idea with teams in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa, London, Missisauga, Montreal & QC until I read they may not go into places like Vancouver at all but into Kelowna, Lethbridge or Red Deer instead. Go into communities of 50,000 or less with 5000-10,000 seat buildings.
    I'm of the opinion that this will never work. Fans in the bigger centres used to big league teams in the CFL & NHL are just going to scoff playing a team from a place like Lethbridge. If you're gonna dream, dream small. So typically Canadian.
    Sorry Rids, I don't want to be negative all the time & I'm certainly jaded because I've seen pro leagues come & go. I know you'd love to see something like this be successful but I can't see it working if they go into these smaller centres. There just wouldn't be any chance for credibility. It has to be major Canadian markets or nothing.
    I'm a basketball fan & would love to see this thing get off the ground. It just confounds me when these leagues start up & they put teams in Charlottetown & Moncton which naturally fail & they are dumbfounded as to why.

3. Rids

Rids Member

And the beat goes on.

So which is it. Have they talked about it or haven't they? Who's lying?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Flames+King+wouldn+rule+acquiring+hoops+team+some/8517689/story.html#ixzz2W9XGAD9B

4. Rids

Rids Member

5. Rids

Rids Member

This article doesn't give them much of a chance.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/06/20/column-canadian-basketball-league-doomed-to-failure

6. Flash

Flash Member

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

These goofy leagues are all the same. Talk big but spend nothing. Can anyone tell me who a true CIS basketball star is??? A guy the league can build an image around?? I bet no one can because nobody watches CIS basketball. Then this idea of going into places like Lethbridge. Like c'mon. Build it where the salary cap doesn't mean you can't spend $$$ on decent players & put it into centres that attract media attention. The one league that might have worked was the International basketball League. But even it had goofy rukes that ultimately, I believe led to its demise. The "No Player Can BE Over 6'4' rulke was stupid. I know they were trying to go for guys with speed & skills but basketball is s till about the big men. Guys who can rebound, are physical under the basket & guys who can slam dunk.I went to a number of Calgary 88 games back in 1990 & 1991 & I missed watching the big men play. People want to see the whole sport & not a gimmick which the IBL was. Attendance was pretty decent at the games when I went (averaged about 6,000 at the Saddledome) but the league folded.

8. Flash

Flash Member

These leagues know that they are 2 rungs away from the NBA and so they can relax a bit and have some fun.

The NBL has a shot to grow and is giving good entertainment to some communities that otherwise are without. I think any community that can support a Major Junior team could support a NBL team.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

But that's why it'll never work. Canadian networks, sponsors, advertisers & large companies like the RONA's or Canadian Tire's in this country will never get on board. It has to have a business plan where it isn't 2 rungs below the NBA & where it works in major Canadian cities not junior hockey towns. No one expects it to be the NBA but as a basketball fan & someone who may be interested in going to some games, I want to know that the pros playing are good basketball players & not a glorified senior men's league. Why can't we build a league to be a rival to Europe here in Canada long term? If we can't then forget about it. The CFL is acknowledged as the second best pro football league in the world. Why can't we do something like that in basketball?

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Look at the buildings in Canada:

Vancouver: 18,000
    Calgary: 19,000
    Edmonton: 17,500
    Saskatoon: 15,000
    Winnipeg: 15,000
    Hamilton: 17,500
    Ottawa: 19,000
    Montreal: 21,000
    Halifax: 11,000

Just based on those 9 cities they have the venues for a national league. Even if they're half full at best that still pretty decent attendance...And advertisers would jump on board. Probably get games televised.

11. Rids

Rids Member

Because a coast to coast Canadian league would be about 25th in the world.

NBA
    Russian League
    Spanish League
    New Zealand NBL
    Australia NBL
    NBA D-League
    Italian League
    and on and on.

Tough growing up next door to the big bully on the block.

12. Rids

Rids Member

iso will be so proud that the new CBL is looking at Cranbrook as a location for a franchise - http://www.dailytownsman.com/breaking_news/218023001.html