New Jersey Forces a Game 5...

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

New Jersey Forced a Games 5 in the Stanley Cup finals tonight. The cheer heard across North America was a little odd though...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04aCp3ej-I[/video]

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Watched from midway thru the second period on... Wanted to see the SC awarded for the first time to LA in their crib as it would have been fun. Too bad Jonathan Quick decided to muff 2 goals. Now, a game 6 back in New Jersey, woop dee fricking woo. Doubt if I'll even watch. With NBC calling the shots, will Game 6 even take place this month? Maybe after the fourth of July??

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Lol could be awhile eh. I believe their strategy is to wait until people forget that hockey is still going on before surprising all the people who happened to be tuning in for reruns of Friends. Sorry to all those hoping to be annoyed by Ross but we can do better. Here's Gary Bettman! You're welcome. :p

Honestly I actually watched the Spurs-Thunder game and I never watch basketball. Pretty good game too. The Thunder absolutely dominated the second half to erase a huge deficit and advance to the NBA finals. Now I just want the Heat to come back so that we can see Darian, er, Kevin Durant and and company be the latest to knock him off painfully close to that elusive title. ;)

Man I can't wait for football!

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Thoughts

1. Fell asleep during OKC vs. SA match; forgot Kings vs. other guys were on TV

2. James Naismith called - basketball should be re-named "TIMEOUTS"

3. Media has the classic 3-0 NHL morsel to chew on - if Joisey can only win back home, they'll force a pressure-packer back in LA.....

4. Make the bloody NHL nets 3 inches wider and 3 inches higher.....

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

You know what, tradition be damned. I'm not at all opposed to making the nets bigger. If we really cared about tradition in hockey then why are we apparently okay with the goalie equipment being twice as big as it used to be? Seems like an odd contradiction doesn't it? We can't do anything about the goalies being bigger so why not compensate in other ways? Frankly it's shocking that Stamkos somehow scored 60 goals this year. In my opinion that is one of the most remarkable individual achievements in hockey in the past decade when you put it in the context of what's happened to offense in the NHL this year.

6. Rids

Rids Member

Pretty entertaining game here tonight.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

I wonder what Big Popeye Pump (Drymouth Daryl) is gonna giggle to the reporter who asks him about blowin' a 3-0 game lead....???

Jonathan Quick was a bit mentally slow tonite but Wilfred Brimley Brodeur looked every bit the senior goaler tonite - didn't know if he was gonna faint or what!

Good game, nice effort!!!!

And the Tics are losing to Lebron's Heat with a coupe minutes to spare.....in b-ball's game 7.....

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Pressure's back on LA after tonight in game 6 on the West Coast.

But they'll answer the call...

Lights out in LA a couple nights from now.

TM

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Don't know about that. The Kings are not that dominant now, perhaps running on fumes. Quick, made a mistake, mark it down.

And Popeye Drymouth is losing his mind behind the bench while Deboer is still coaching hard.

I'm hoping for a Game 7 - C'MON MAN!!!

10. Rids

Rids Member

I'm hoping for a game 8. Let's dream big!

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The Devils eked out a one goal win at home with everything on the line.

It ends in Los Angeles.

Sutter does what he couldn't get done in 2004.

Book it.

TM

12. Rids

Rids Member

The same could be said of the Kings wins in game 1 and 2. This series was a lot closer than many gave it credit for back at the beginning and it's starting to show that.

It's kinda like the Oilers in the 80s. Only have to score one more goal than the other team to win just with the Devils defense most nights that means 2 goals rather than the 5 or 6 the Oilers aimed for.

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, but the Kings won both those games on the road.

Big difference.

TM

14. Rids

Rids Member

Winning on the road is a great thing. During the season that's what gets you into the playoffs, during the early rounds of the playoffs that's what gets you to the Finals but in the Finals I don't think the home ice advantage comes into play. Just like it doesn't matter that neither of these teams could manage to win their divisions, or that the Kings actually had a losing record (40 wins and a combined 42 losses) during the season. Once you reach this point of the playoffs it doesn't matter how many games it took or how many bumps/bruises you have. It's the Finals and it's do or die.

Besides the Kings have lost 4 games now these playoffs and 3 of those were at home.

15. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Once a series reaches game 7 I don't think it makes a difference.

But this is game 6.

And if you want to cite home-ice performance, the last time these teams travelled across the continent, the Kings smoked 'em 4-zip at home.

The odds still favour LA.

TM

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

Oh you mean like the geniuses who came up with the format for the summit series?

I'm kidding of course. It makes sense that you'd want each side to get the same number of games in their home country.

17. Rids

Rids Member

Found a quote for Tundra.

"Sure, the home-field is an advantage -- but so is having a lot of talent." - DAN MARINO

18. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Only problem with that quote, Rids, is I don't think the Devils are the more talented team...:p

TM

19. Rids

Rids Member

More for Tundra:

20. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Then it's high time we had a "six game" ending, isn't it? ;)
    TM