New Rules

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

While none have been put into place yet the Rules Committee is meeting this week to discuss these:

- Pass Interference being a 15 yd penalty (no longer the spot of the foul)
    - No blocks below the waist outside the tackle box
    - Replay on FG
    - Allowing 2 time outs per game (change from 1 time out per half with no carry over)
    - Limited participation for players losing their helmets (change from current player must stop)

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03/21 ... iscussion/

Tags:
  2. CFLDaily

CFLDaily Member

Pros and Cons to the potential pass interference rule change.

On those tough-to-call plays down the field, it would make up for an 'iffy' penalty being called on a 45 yard pass. Also takes away from the - as I call it, "Baltimore Ravens Passing Play" of throwing it down the sideline and looking to draw a penalty.

Opposite that, what is preventing a defensive back who thinks that they may get beat from taking the 15 yard penalty and saving their team yardage? Also, not every pass interference play is of 15 or more yards.

Solutions to those could be adopting the college format of using a spot foul that does not exceed 15 yards. A 10 yard PI penalty is 10 yards, a 17 yard penalty is 15 yards, etc.

An option for limiting intentional pass interference could be making it a spot foul if in the official's discretion, the defender made no effort to try and at least make a play on the ball.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Update from Dave Naylor

4. oilpatchhilbily

CFLDaily: Good points, but agree with your last line the most. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of "point of foul" aspect of the PI calls. If people like BC's Coach Ben feel the current rule creates too much of a game swing then why not revisit the definition of incidental contact (yardage only) VS the blatant PI (POF)? Broader definition including grabs etc as long as DB is going for the ball or at least has his head back looking for it could be called as yardage only at Ref's discretion (you're on the right track there). Maybe I just don't like change, but can see an unwanted element added to the game if this rule goes through - sacrifice 15 yards on the 40 yard pass by putting the receiver on the turf before the ball gets half way there (not every pass I know, but take away the big penalties, and we'll see a lot less chances for receivers on big plays - which is great if our defence is on the field, not so much the other way). Maybe Minor PI - yards VS Major PI - POF??
    Rids: Didn't see your post before I sent this - thanks for update (and the good news).

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

6. Rids

Rids Member

We were posting at the same time. My cut and paste was quicker than your thought out response! :D

7. CFLDaily

CFLDaily Member

Good to see the timeout rule passed. Easy change and one that should have been instituted long ago.

8. Rids

Rids Member

Except I don't like that you lose the second one if you wait until the final 3 minutes of the second half. What's the point then? Make it 2 timeouts for the entire game or leave the rule alone.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I am glad the PI is being changed. Giving up 40 yds in the final minute of the game has always been too harsh in my opinion.