NHL Draft

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Rids, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Preds steal Seth Jones at #4. Fantastic!

2. Rids

Rids Member

Sean Monahan to the Calgary Shames....

3. Rids

Rids Member

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Florida made a mistake there - lottery win for Nashville.

Happy Calgary stuck with picking at 6 and picking a great young C.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Oilers get Nurse. Could be a bonus for the Eskimos too...

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Wow, #9 to Vancouver for G - Cory Schneider.

Lou is a monster GM and never ceases to amaze me.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Great pick by the Flames in Monahan! :)

Finally, a potential first line franchise centre for the club!

Here's a link to his junior stats:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=8814

Real nice start to a big first round for Feast'r Famine! ;)

TM

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

More on Monahan:

Sean Monahan has spent this season playing for an Ottawa 67s team that has really struggled. Despite that Monahan has been remarkably consistent and works hard for his team. He even played through a back injury after Ottawa was mathematically eliminated from the OHL playoffs. Monahan’s hard work and leadership earned him the position of co-captain of the 67s before the season began, and full-time 67s captain after the trade of Cody Ceci in early January. While he finished with 78 points in his third season with the club (same as 2011-12) there is no fear that his development has stalled. Firstly Monahan played 4 less games in 2011-12 due to trying out for the Canadian World Junior Squad, and due to a 10 game suspension for a high hit. Secondly, one must also take into account that the 2011-12 Ottawa 67s squad featured a lot more talent around Monahan, where this past season he was the team’s main threat, and with less support, had less talented players trying to finish his passes, passing him the puck, and he faced tighter checking from opponents.

Read more:
    http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/15/sean-monahan-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-6/

TM

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What's with Richard Nurse keeping his son out of football for safety reasons? Okay hockey... fighting, slashing, high sticking, concussions, head injuries, cross checking into the boards, knee on knee hits, etc. I went what???

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

The very latest NHL ego-maniac is none other than our local guy, Kevin Chevldayoff aka Kevin Shovel 'n No Payoff....

Guy drafted off the board at #13 and now picked a 5'9" midget from the WHL with his first (of 3) second round picks.

King Kevin is one smug dude. Especially when it don't matter if your team finishes 1st or 31st, tickets are sold out for life in Winnipeg. But he sure has a couple of wealthy owners bamboozled out of their $2.50 underwear.

11. Rids

Rids Member

It was more bank account safety. 1 year NHL = how many CFL years....

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nurse has said that a couple of times like football is some kind of bloodsport. And hockey isn't? Hockey is a hatchet sport. I've never seen a sport where players have absolutely no respect foe the safety of other players.

13. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Pretty happy with the Flames today.

Taking 3 talented forwards in the first round is exactly what was needed.

Adding some good size as well is never a bad thing - so long as they can play.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

The money argument is extremely valid. Even if Nurse turns into an NHL flop, he can pander in the minor leagues for 2 or 3 years at $300,000 to $450,000 (entry level contracts) - if he even gets a sniff of the NHL he'll rake in around $600,000 to $900,000 until his stats and level of play determine his value.

2 years at $350,000 = $700,000
    4 years at $800,000 = $3,200,000

Total earnings even if his career is curtailed after 6 years = nearly 4 million

If Nurse had a similar six year career in CFL (not at Cornish, Harris or Mumboa levels)

he'd make

2 years rookie level @ $55,000 = $110,000
    4 years step up @ $80,000 = $320,000

TOTAL = $400,000

PLUS, his NHL contract(s) would be guaranteed. His CFL contract(s) are NOT.

PLUS, NHL gives players pension and health coverage. CFL DOES NOT!

NHL will always be barbaric as long as sticks can come more than a foot off the ice. But in football you suffer a bad ankle or knee injury and your speed and flexibility immediately decline. NHL players can adapt to bad injuries - they also have better access to the top doctors and surgeons where CFL guys (for the most part) have to deal with mid-card trainers, medics, GPs and surgeons. Some exceptions for upper level CFL players but I believe this to be true.

15. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Your math is a bit off, Morris.

Two-way contracts are what virtually all but the very elite of NHL rookies receive.

The top end of those 2 way contracts is about 100K for minor league play.

Even after the 2 way ELC has expired, many players are still subject to a 2 way contract until their continued play at the NHL level mandates the club offer them a 1 way agreement.

You are correct in stating CFL contracts are not guaranteed whereas NHL pacts are, but you are not correct in stating that the CFL has no pension plan.

It does, and even rookies are obliged to contribute to it under a CFL standard player's contract.

TM

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Darnell was saying that his dad wouldn't let him play football when he was a kid because he felt football wasn't safe. I've heard that comment now twice from him & it rubs me the wrong way. Way before any talk of money. To me, there's more issues in hockey as far as safety goes than football. Ask Eric Lindros how safe hockey was. Or Larry Hornung's somn who was paralyzed from the neck down in the WHL nearly 20 years ago when he was crosschecked from behind into the boards head first.
    I mean, we know the kid was talented at 13 & 14 so I can understand the decision to stick to hockey. I coached kids at that age where they had toi make a choice between sports. But it wasn't because of safety that they quit football. They quit because hockey took up so much time & couldn't do both. Plus, their hockey coaches told them to quit or get cut. I have no reason to doubt what Darnell Nurse is saying not to be true. Football opened up a lot of doors for his father. Why his dad has to diss the sport is beyond me. Why he couldn't say that he wanted to play football but time wise couldn't do it then I'd be fine with that.