NHL to Own Two Teams?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Rids, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Sure why not! Looks like the NHL will take over the New Jersey Devils here. Maybe they can just take their two teams and go home now. Somebody kick start the WHA again...oh wait that didn't work. Maybe the old 1916 NHA? Sure! 100 year anniversary is coming up of the final NHA season, great optics!

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Little Nap (short for Napoleon) sorta carries himself like an owner, more like a plantation owner. Bettman has still got the Glendale City Council on the hook for the major part of Phoenix losses but they're even questioning their own sanity. Subsidizing NJ outright might cost 20 to 30 million (OK I'm guessing) but don't expect Little Garry to be deterred. He's always got that contrived "What, Me Worry?" look on his treacherous visage. I knew Jersey was in trouble but didn't expect it to pop up so soon after the finals.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Goldwater Institute convinced a judge to allow for a referendum on the $325 million dollar lease to the Jobbing.com arena for the Coyotes. They just have to get the required # of signatures before July 8th which I am sure they will. Hopefully, the deal in Phoenix will be killed by the voters. And rightfully so. I think if that happens, the Coyotes will cease operations for at least a year. And resurface in Quebec City but they'll be like an expansion team as all the players, coaches & managers will be long gone.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Those same voters voted in favor of the deal last year.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Its only money to those yanks!

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A lot can change in a year... If they vote for it in a referendum then fine, I hope they love their property tax bill, sales tax, etc because they'll be paying for this a long time.