No Running Game ... NO Consistent Wins!

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

History has shown that unless a team has a good running game they will not win consistently. The Stampeders do not have a running game, nor do they have a consistently good running back to help close out the game when it is needed.

Therefore ...? Next year country???

Tags:
    Barry Plashka and Bumpnrun like this.
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

• Forsooth, as northern gales and colder weather doth even now approacheth the gates of the city, never were words in the living history of mankind ever spoken so true...
    "Next year country" indeed.

Maybe not even the next year after that...

TM

Seeker1 likes this.
  3. strujas

strujas Member

Not ready to jump ship yet. Make it to the playoffs and anything can happen. Bo's been there before and it unclear what a Collaros or Fajardo will do in a win or go home game.

4. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

No running game, no future! :(:(:(

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I agree with Seeker1 that one of Hufnagel's main priorities is to find a running back for the offense.

However, I truly believe that a QB who can be a dual threat can help in the run game as well. As much as BLM can maneuver in the pocket with great efficiency, his refusal to run the ball once in a while really hurt this team yesterday.
    For example, the Stamps were driving the ball downfield and BLM had at least 8-12 yards to run and instead tried to force the ball to Mayala in the end zone and almost got picked off. On his next pass he throws an INT.

Simply put, Hall at this point knew to scheme for the pass. If BLM just ran that one time it would have changed the whole complexion of the offense for the game. Just like Winnipeg using both Collaros and Streveler really challenged the Stamps D and kept Monson guessing.

Second time in the second half the offense was really struggling and Litre has a nice 19 yard run. On the next play (once again predictable) a run play and Litre is stopped in the backfield. Instead if BLM had pulled the ball out and decided to run he would have had the whole right side of the field to gain some big yardage.
    Defensive Coordinators are well aware that BLM is no threat to run, with a sub par running attack made it that much easier for the Bombers to game plan on defense. By the fourth quarter and the Bombers up by two scores had the game well in hand.

Barry Plashka and Tundra Mustang like this.
  6. Barry Plashka

Barry Plashka Member

7. AllSportsCalgary

The problem with this is, Bo is a gun slinger. This is not news, it has ever been thus. I have said in other threads that I too believe that this is a weakness in Bo's game. But it is the nature of gun slingers - when it works, it is usually a spectacular thing to witness, and when it doesn't, it is usually a spectacular failure. Sadly, in one half of the most recent game that is still so fresh and raw in all our minds, it was a spectacular failure. We need a running game, plain and simple, but given the number of injuries and next-man-up situations forced onto the Stamps this season, our running game wasn't as strong as we needed.

Given all the free agent losses, and all the injuries on both sides of the ball, Huff still kept finding guys to plug into the system who actually, in my opinion, performed above average (other than holding onto the damned ball once it was in their hands - there is my rant for the year). In the end, Winnipeg played a very good half of football at a critical time, the Stamps faltered at the exact same time, and Winnipeg moved on to the next round.

Tundra Mustang likes this.