No Vanier for Regina...but both Calgary and Montreal make bids

Discussion in 'Calgary Dinos and CIS Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The 2 season experiment of pairing the Grey Cup with the Vanier won't be replicated in Regina next November:

But either Calgary or Montreal, neither of whom have ever previously hosted the event, could benefit from Regina's shortcomings as a venue. ;)

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

a thumbwars match between deuvl and TM will determine the winner. best 4 out of 7.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Why does the CFL let Regina host a Grey Cup? Not enough hotel rooms. Fans having to book a hotel 60 miles away in Weyburn, Moose Jaw or some other little hick town or worse billetting with strangers A tour bus company ripping off out of town fans & now this. Wow, go from 37,000 fans at Rogers Centre to steel bleachers at the U of S with maybe 10,000 fans there. Well done, Saskatchewan. Well done. There has to be minimum standards when it comes to the Grey Cup. I mean, you'll never see Green Bay host a Super Bowl. Just because the Riders are members of the CFl should not give them the right to host this event.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I think Calgary would be a good idea to host. would have to be a saturday afternoon instead of a friday night.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The vanier had a chance to step into the bigs but now it's back to a second rate event.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

In other words: No Va...gina.

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed.

Look at the press and amazing coverage the Vanier has gotten the last 2 years, now it'll be back to zero coverage and a second rate event.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

All because the GC is being played in a second rate city. What a joke. I really think that having the GC in a city the size of Regina is a huge mistake. Time to quit stroking the ego of Rider Nation with ntheir feeling of entitlement. In the NFL, think Green Bay will ever host a Super Bowl? Cincinnatti, Cleveland or Kansas City? No, yet they are full blown members of the NFL. Here we are growing the Vanier Cup & now it's going to be held in Calgary where we'll be lucky to draw 15,000 or Montreal where if it isn't the Als no one will care. I do actually think that Montreal would outdraw us because I think we are an apathetic city. Only the Flames sell out. Away from the Grey Cup the Vanier Cup will be nothing.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

especially if laval reaches the final again you already got yourself a decent crowd at the big O, unless folk wanna try some outdoor football at McGill in november and maybe pack the place.