Obby Khan signing in Calgary (Now Official)

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Bronko, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Again, just a rumour I read on ob.com where everyone is in panic mode, even the stalwart bomber jock-sniffers.

Khan's "retirement" from Wpg was essentially forced. He was asked to take a substantial paycut to continue his playing career and balked. Probably from around $140k to $95 to $105k ---- thats HUGE!

However, in all fairness Khan was a dead piece of wood as a run-blocker. The guy could barely breathe, let alone pull out for a sweep. However, he was still mostly impenetrable as a pass-blocker, especially if a DT was gonna test him flush up. Overall, Khan is a C player, who once was a B to B+ player before his health woes. I think he could actually help Calgary as a 6th or 7th OL, or a practice roster player. (if he's in shape)

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

RE: Obby Khan signing in Calgary

Uh, yeah...no thanks, Bronks...

I don't think a "C" level player who can't run block is going to be of much value to the Stampeders.

In case it has eluded you, the Stampeders appear to like to run the ball...;)

TM

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If he can still play he will be an asset. Edwin Harrison got hurt AGAIN last night... I dunno about some of these players that cant stay in the lineup... Might be time to find another import tackle. Why didnèt Bulcke play.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

He can still play - even if he seldom runs, he's a 6'4" 308lb. of pungent smelly brickhouse who became an efficient snapper. Kevin Glenn probably gave his stamp of approval for Khan coming over as #1 Ctr or backup. Kevin knows Khan will prevent the middle guy from getting near him, thus giving kG an extra 1/2 second to progress his reads.

As for Cornish, I don't think it will effect his running that much. Despite Obby's obvious infirmities and no pull whatsoever, the offense will just have to be tweaked around an immobile but efficient centre. No pulling, Obby is capable of gap-filling when a more mobile guard pulls out and Obby can seal off pursuit.

Plus, the guy is only 32 or 33, a real people=pleaser - - - even Terry Mustang will love what Obby does on the sideline to rev up Calgary fans. First lets see what condition his condition is in!

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Khan may put off retirement to join Stampeders
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 48546.html

6. Liske

Liske Member

If Kahn is mostly a centre, where are we going to use him?

Bronko, is Obby a holder? Or doesn't he take a lot of penalties. (BTW, I like your new avatar. You look almost as dashing as Tundra).

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

At one point Obby was the best canadian olineman in the league. But that was 7 or 8 years ago, when the Glieberoids were laying waste to Ottawa. Ibrahaim (his real name) was a massive force of nature - he had some darn good push that enabled him to be as adept a run-blocker as he was a pass protector (although he played either guard or tackle at the time).

When he came over to Wpg. he was converted to centre, had 80% or more of his colon removed a few years back, rebuilt himself but his awesome power never really returned although he's still a B+ pass protector. Huff and Dick will have to fuel their offense with some play calls that call for a relatively stationary centre (Obby can get you on the crack back) who's prime responsibilty will be to read the defense and communicate calls to his mates.

He's a D to C- run blocker but thats OK....if you design around the weakness.

btw - you guys are gonna love this guy on the sidelines,.....he can rev up the fans like nobody else. AAA+++ in this category, to be sure!!!

8. Rids

Rids Member

Ok let's fill up that pail of cold water and splash away the rumor and clean this little nugget up.

First if Obby Khan has decided to play football again he would first be Winnipeg property. He wasn't a free agent Feb. 15th which means he would've had at least a year remaining on his contract so filling out the paperwork his rights would belong to Winnipeg. Calgary would have to obtain his rights via trade or he would have to be released from his CFLPA contract held by the Bombers after becoming an active player again.

He isn't a free agent until a full year after filing retirement papers.

Not to say that this hasn't happened behind closed doors or that it isn't going to happen because it's the CFL and anything can happen but just wanted to toss a little water on the timeline.

I know Bronks is reading this and thinking "hey maybe they can add in Etienne to the trade for Obby's rights!"

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

I wouldn't wish a mook like Etienne on my worst enemy! However, Rids is techically correct. If Khan retired according to the book the bombers hold his rights if he unretires. However, his retirement could have had him cut & retired in some form of shenanigan to give Khan more options (due to the nature of his retirement - he was really told to retire, essentially cut)
    If Calgary obtained permission to talk to Obby thats fine - according to CFL law (a step higher than WWE law) the bombers would have to receive compensation for the rights to this player (or match Calgary's offer)

Personally, I'd be happy with a 4th or 5th round draft pick. Or a 3rd rounder if Khan plays more than just this season.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, I am in Weed, CA right now & I can tell you there is no Obby sightings down here!! ;)

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Based upon my experience with weed, I've found it's frequently tough to focus long enough to make any sightings at all...:p

TM

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Always the comedian... ;) Actually it's the name of the town where my son goes to college & plays football. The town is named after Albert Weed an Englishman who started a lumber cutting company here in the early 1900's... If he only knew...:D

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I knew that, but others likely didn't, so when I saw it lying there, I just had to pick it up, and make at least a "toke(n)" reference to the other meaning of the word...:D

I was gonna say that the mention of "Weed" in California doesn't narrow down your location much...;)

Hope your trip is going well....

TM

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Weed is about 45 mins south of the Oregon border on I 5. About 30 minutes south of Yreka, CA & about 40 mins north of Redding, CA.

15. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I think you meant Eureka California right ISO!

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

There are portions of northern california that are further north than parts of southern ontario. Just a quick geography lesson for y'all.....

17. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

My son visited College of the Siskoyis ( sp?) . He loved the location. He also loved the souvenirs you could get. In fact coming back across the border he was interrogated extensively as a result of his " weed" mints. So be careful with exposing your souvenirs.:)
    Hope your son has a fun year.

18. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

...and about 20 miles north-east of Joint, CA, and at least 10 miles higher than Hemp, CA...;)

Let's face it, weed is all over California...

Okay, okay, I'll stop now....:D

TM

19. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Former NY Giant Aaron Thomas played at the Weed High School.

20. Rids

Rids Member

There's a section of Northern California and Southern Oregon that was going to become the State of Jefferson. They had taken it so far that it was going to be declared Dec. 8th, 1941 but a little event in Hawaii happened on the 7th which shelved it. Yreka was to be the Capital.

http://www.jeffersonstate.com/