Off season moves .... Where do the Stamps Go From Here?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Bumpnrun, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

With their sudden abrupt end to their season what does the off season look like for the Stamps?

I know it has been less than 24 hours and the sting of the loss still fresh I have actually turned my attention to the off season and started to think --- what are some of the main priorities facing Hufnagel and the Calgary Stampeders.

Injuries made this season a challenge for sure and going 12-6 was an accomplishment just for the fact that almost every game this season was not the same lineup from one game to the next. After playing the last 4 to 5 games in playoff mode it appeared the team just ran out of gas. It happens and the Stamps did play a team who I thought at the beginning of the year to be in the mix for the Grey Cup.

Next to Ottawas I think the Stamps were one of the younger teams in the league and the future does look bright for the Stamps. Sure BLM obviously had his worst game of his career or close to it (outside of playing in MTL), but I can only imagine what this team would like or could do if they were actually playing yesterday's game with a healthy Rodgers, Brescasin, and Jordan in the lineup.

Will the Stamps make significant changes and overhaul the roster or will Hufnagel tweak the roster and keep it somewhat status quo?

Last season they finally reached the pinnacle and won the Grey Cup and sweeping changes resulted. This year the team fell well short of their goal I think will get their drive back.

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. Jayman

Jayman Member

Bomber fan, just passing by, NOT trolling.
    Every team seems to have the conundrum decision, big bucks spent at QB or spread them around and support the newby.
    BC, Calgary, prob Edmo, Wpg, went big bucks.
    Imagine The Stamps or Bombers with their second stringer and 25k upgrades at ten positions??
    The success of this years secondary QB's seems to suggest "save the cap and spread it around"
    Just thinking out loud.
    Stamps are a deep water Club, they will be back with a vengeance.....

Barry Plashka and Tundra Mustang like this.
  3. AllSportsCalgary

To be honest, I think from a pure Stampeders point of view, it is probably one year to early too pull the pin on the high paid QB experiment. I don't think we should lose as many players to free agency this year, and the returning players seem poised to me to have a solid season. Probably next season though, it is time to make the trade, depending on what we have/can get as a new QB, because I think if we have a solid season next season, then next off season will see an increased number of free agency losses again, so then trade Bo, and try to fill the cupboards with trades.

As for this off season, we need: some running backs to compete in training camp, the usual bunch of assorted players to look at in the other positions (including back up qb) and an off season examination to determine if there is a training/conditioning/practice factor that can help with the injuries, or a bucket of 4-leaf clovers, a bag of sevens, and several rabbits feet - all specially charmed to ward off injuries!

Barry Plashka likes this.
  4. Barry Plashka

Barry Plashka Member

5. Barry Plashka

Barry Plashka Member

So, the Lions prey Reilly away from the Esks & find themselves with a lack of cap space to compliment the highest paid player in the league. End result, last in the West.

The Stamps resign BLM, then proceed to lose a multitude of players to the NFL & rival CFL teams, seeking more money.
    End result, lost in the semi’s.

Makes you wonder if either signing was wise, considering the current CFL salary constraints.

6. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

If I'm not mistaken there will be a number of CFL clubs looking at changing or a change at the QB position.
    I for one would like the Stamps approach TOR or OTT and see if they are willing to trade for BLM.
    With BLM it is becoming a scenario of BO or MO. Much like it was Hank or Frank.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

HC vacancy in Ottawa.
    Marcel Desjardins, clinging to his last vestiges of life will attempt to pry PLOP away from Winnipeg. Plop is the highest paid assistant coach in the league - so the RedBlacks will have to cough up a minimum $320k per yr x 3 guaranteed years to pry Mr Lapolice away from Winnipeg.
    Could easily see Plop with Devonne Claybrooks as his #1 assistant (DC). To save a few buck on Plop's big contract, the RBs might be forced to have Plop perform double duty as head coach and offensive coordinator. Might make a move to bring Ryan Dinwiddie aboard as an offensive assistant, OC in training.

BC's head coaching job might be more contentious. Mikey Benevides, the ferocious sewer rat might like an encore presentation but Porky (Rick) Campbell also hunting for work after being dismissed in Ottawa. Campbell has great blood lines - so I'd put him ahead of Benevides - but behind PLOP, at this point in the ceremonies. Also wouldn't rule out Matt Dunigan, Davis Sanchez or Henry Burris from trying to steal a head coaching position.