Okay I have been on Bryant's case before

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by redwhite2005, Aug 24, 2012.

1. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Okay so tell me Romby Bryant when are you going to get open in a game. I most games this year your name has not come up? Is it that Kevin does not see you or your invisible? Or is it that your not getting open? A year ago I stated the same thing and you proved me wrong! But this pattern is becoming to regular and just maybe hyou should be looking over your shoulder not for a ball but someone that might come in and show you how to get open. This team use to have quality receivers what happened we have to rely on Tank Lewis which is not a problem in my opinion but they are now double teaming him so obviously you would think someone would be open? Huff you had too many receivers one year this year from what I can see is you have one! This needs to change! Anyone else agree. I mean Forzani shows he can get open the last game he made a great catch but funny you very rarely hear the names of the others making catches. Bauman made a step up last game but is progress is not adequate sorry to be critical but I think I wasted my money on this team this year. it is pretty bad that it took the whole game to wake up the touchdown horse and the fans. Am I pissed you bet.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

RE: Okay I have been on Bryants case before

In 7 games 13 Stampeders have caught a total of 159 passes.

Nik Lewis has caught 30.82% of the passes - 49 catches.
    Marquay McDaniel comes in second with 16.35% of the receptions - 26 catches.
    Bryant and Cornish at next with 18 catches (11.32%) then Bauman at 15 (9.43%).

Looking at it on a per game basis it looks like this:

Calgary receivers have averaged 22.7 catches a game;

Lewis catches 7 of those
    McDaniel catches 4 of those
    Bryant catches 2.5 of those
    Cornish catches 2.5 of those
    Bauman catches 2.5 of those
    The other 4 get scattered among Forzani, Taylor, Franklin, Walter, Cote.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think the performance of our corps of receivers has been anything close to what any of us (the Stampeders themselves included) thought it would be when training camp broke.

Is it the result of injuries, lack of continuity, game-planning, or simple lack of talent at the position?

Or is it a combination of all of the above?

Maybe a questionable call on releasing Rambo who's such a 'tarnished asset' that Toronto's got him hanging around for possible deployment there.

Then the early season release of Talley after 2 seasons with the club.

Both of those moves tell me that the Stampeders' pre-season assessment of talent at the position wasn't what they thought it was.

Injuries have played some role in performance as Franklin has been on and off the roster as has Forzani. Canadian depth with receivers doesn't appear to be what it once was in Calgary.

On the issue of game-planning, I can't decide whether it's that or a simple lack of execution between the quarterback who's lobbing an errant ball at times or a receiver who's sometimes muffing a catchable pass.

Continuity ties in as much with the quarterback throwing the ball as it does with the 'musical chair' routine being played at receiver.

On that theme, Calgary's entire scheme this year was as shot as his left shoulder when Tate went down early in the second game of the season.

We've now got a starting quarterback in Glenn who's learning the offensive game system on the fly, and introducing himself almost weekly to a seemingly interchangeable group of receivers with whom, Bauman and McDaniel excepted, he's never played before.

And I think the last point is underscored by the fact that a lot of his recent success has been through his connection with both of those very same players.

I think for that reason the learning being done by Glenn as a starter in Calgary, and working with a largely unfamiliar receiving corps, has a greater bearing on Calgary's poor performance than some of the other factors I've cited, but there's no doubt in my mind that they've all played a role.

As a result of all of that, I think we're likely to see more turnover at the position in an effort to find a winning combination. I'd like to see what Joe West can bring, and I'd also like to see them give Maurice Price a real shot at the position.

Because, (unless Tate makes a miraculous recovery, and returns much earlier than originally anticipated) I see this year as largely a transititional one as a lot of new players learn to work with one another, and new receivers are a part of that transition.

And, unfortunately, as is the case with almost any work in progress, the growing pains can at times be excruciating....

It's obvious that we're living that experience now.

TM

4. Rids

Rids Member

How many Canadian receivers do you need? You know you're only starting 1 so having 4 (Bauman, Forzani, Franklin and Parker) isn't necessary. Why not go after a couple more imports? Mo Price will be put to the test here shortly, could change all of this talk.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Another thought in the whole gameplan train of thought. Imagine this line up a couple times a game.

Taylor.......Coker........OT..OG..C..OG..OT..........Lewis.....McDaniel........Forzani

No team in the League could compete with that speed, not even Hamilton (who I believe has the 2 fastest individual players).

Interesting concept, however neither Lewis nor McDaniel are particularly fast. McDaniel has some quickness, and Lewis knows how to run precise routes and then gain yards after the catch by virtue of his running back mentality and battering ram of a body. Neither are going to win many foot races against CFL DB's though. That doesn't mean that they aren't quality receivers. In fact they are clearly the team's top two wideouts. Unfortunately it is a weakness when your top pass catchers lack open field speed to break big yardage plays with much regularity.

6. Flash

Flash Member

Rids does the phone in the bat cave connect to Dave "The Pride of Montana" Dickenson's office?

7. Rids

Rids Member

In a related note:

8. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Is Coker injured still? Nothing against Walter but he's not good enough to be relieving the #1 back.

9. Rids

Rids Member

Walter has the right passport.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Bauman & Forzani really weaken this corps of receivers. Too inconsistent. We need upgrades.

11. Flash

Flash Member

Upgrades!!!! There's always upgrades!!!! Jerry Rice where are you!

Chad Johnson is available....

12. Rusty

Rusty Member

Who said yes? I was going to and say that our QB was the problem but when Glenn gets the ball out there have been way to many drops or recievers not getting open.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Sure wasn't me, I tell ya.

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The answer as to who voted "yes" (as well as who voted for any other option) can be readily determined by clicking the "Show Results" link right underneath the Poll Box.

TM

15. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I added a second one. a little faith people.

16. Rids

Rids Member

First 4 times targeted today and Romby Bryant has 3 catches for 34 yards and a TD.

17. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Bryant's having a solid game and maybe silencing a few critics...;)

Nik's his usual 'tank': he literally pushed over the 'rider defender as he rambled downfield on his first catch...:p

And elsewhere, Wow! Nice debut with a major on his first catch...Go West, young man! :D

TM

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

With West play today & Mo Price coming off the 9 game list, maybe Bryant suddenly started worrying about his job. Still, I think a change needs to be made. Bryant played well but he isn't giving us the production we require.

19. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Romby did it to me yet again. Maybe Romby I should get on your case before every game! Joe West you rock!

20. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

i'm glad I believed in him. ;)