Olympic Games Thread

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Bronko, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Not looking forward to this as much as most but who knows as the 14 days trudge on.

The women's soccer team is somewhat impotent but very rugged. Just need another burst scorer and they could make the playoff round.

Mary Spencer was a monster women's boxer but got her arse kicked a few months ago. Knocked down TKO, didn't know if she was foot or horseback. Shouldn't happen to a 5'11" women's heavyweight. There's rarely knockouts cuz the gals rarely punch with ferocity. Must have fooled Mary. If there's a better looking female athlete on the planet than Mary Spencer let me know. (other than Ana Ivanovic, Maria Sharapova, Catriona Le May Doan). She's a Ontario part Cree, just stunning. Hope she can hang in there. She got a bye in the first round cuz she's a champion - mostly fed fights a la the Russ Anber school of fighting nobodies and tomato cans. If she wins her first fight, she medals. My guess is she gets herself knocked down again. Hope I'm wrong.

Best medal hopes in cycling, maybe 1 or 2 longshots in track. Those two hurdling women from ontario that got DQ'd in the Canadian playoffs weren't gonna win anyways. Heck they're both about 5'2" and arses bigger than J-Lo.

Despatie might get a diving medal. Might, I suspect he'll run 3rd to 5th.

No medals for canada in gymnastics. Probably few in track and field. Go to is cycling, marathons, tennis, etc.

Canada is shooting for 18. I suspect we'll do very well with 12 or 13.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

204 countries involved in this Olympics. Amazing!!!

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Always the optimist, eh, Bronks? :rolleyes:

TM

4. Rids

Rids Member

Odd moment here...I'm seeing the start of the replay of the Opening Ceremonies right now at quarter to 2 in the morning while the West Coast is still watching it on their tape delay. The 3 hour delay is wild sometimes!

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

The opening ceremonies were traditional - lots of weird dance numbers, disguised themes, standard pop stars, discombobulated torch lighting, Queenie's arrival, James Bond imitator, Lisa LaPhlegm's annoying commentary, etc.

UK really missed the mark by having the croaky-voiced McCartney try to carry some songs. Arctic Monkeys were actually a nice touch but Danny Boyle really should have re-united PINK FLOYD - Floyd would have dwarfed anything McCartney did/

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You obviously heard him croon "Hey Jouwarrrrrrd", as well...:p

Legend or not, time to hang 'em up, Paul. ;)

TM

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Olympic girls soccer now on CTV main network....

Lets see how nervous the canadian women become when taking on an inferior opponent - but an opponent they must defeat outright to advance to the next round....

I'm a bit disappointed in our Wpg girl, Desiree Scott (midfielder). Seems lost in space too much - afraid to commit to an attack for fear of being ravaged the other way!

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

First 10 minutes of the girly soccer and the canadians look about as organized as a group of 3rd graders on the schoolyard.

Our coaching group forgot to teach them about nerves. Guess you can't coach nerves, can you?

This team is too nervous to do anything!!! They might fight the lowly South Africans to a draw.

Wooops, Tancredi scores for Canada....!!!!

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Jean Harlow (aka Sesselmann) is the only canadian player who seems dedicated to the task and if truth be known she's an american who's pappa was stationed in Newfoundland for the army or navy.

Sinclair, vastly over-rated.

But the team is a bundle of nerves.

Some raw talent but not enough plan.

Americans show emotion at all phases of their game. Canadians keep their emotions in check but let their bad nerves show. Americans cover up nerves with raw emotion.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Now, come on, Bronks, if you're going to do credible soccer play-by-play commentary, you know a score is accompanied by the obligatory "gooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaallllllll!''....:D

TM

11. Rids

Rids Member

Of anything you've ever posted this is the farthest from the actual truth. Sinc is a legend in the women's game and I'm going to take offense on her behalf.

If she was American you'd hear about her in the company of Mia Hamm. She'd be on the Wheaties box heading into the Olympics. Leave it to Canada to miss out on the opportunity to grow the game by actually letting people know that the best soccer player produced in the land of ice is currently playing on the Women's National Team!

The American announcers gush over her constantly wishing she could line up next to their girls rather than against them.

Let's look at her list of awards and achievements:

2001 - NCAA Freshman Player of the Year; All-American
    2002 - Led the NCAA in scoring; scored the goal that won the NCAA National Championship, WCC Player of the Year
    2003 - Unlike other Canadian soccer athletes that don't want to join the national team she took a redshirt year at Portland to play on the World Cup team instead. Unselfish!
    2004 - All-American, WCC Player of the Year, Hermann Trophy Winner
    2005 - Set NCAA record for goals in a season, won a second NCAA National Championship, WCC Player of the Year, Hermann Trophy Winner, Set NCAA record for most goals in the NCAA Tournament, Academic All-American, All-American, NCAA Female Player of the Year (all sports)

As a pro she has won 2 regular season titles and a WPS Championship.

National Team:
    All time leading scorer, 7 goals at the World Cup, 7 time Canadian Player of the Year.

In international play only 12 women have scored more than 100 goals. Sinc sits tied at #2 on that list.

Oh yeah and she scored twice today.

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

nice pounding of south africa girls

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

more like gogogogogogogogogoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

gonna have to miss riders-cats tonight in favor of our saturday night MLS game. Our first stadium sellout. Be back for second half stamps-lions.

14. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Gimme a break! I didn't have time for all that :exclamation:

I had a lot of yard-work to do to make our place ready for a Mexican BBQ we're throwing this evening for a party of 20 from my office. And I barely outraced a thunderstorm that swung in just after 11 am to do it...;)

In fact, I've gotta PVR tonight's Stamps game since it collides with our event....:mad:

(I shoulda looked at the schedule before making the plans I did...mea culpa :s)

TM

15. Rids

Rids Member

Michael Phelps can swim and not win?

16. Rids

Rids Member

Medals starting to go quickly.

Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    China 4-0-2 = 6
    Italy 2-2-1 = 5
    United States 1- 2-2 = 5
    South Korea 1-1-1 = 3
    Brazil 1-1-1 = 3

17. Liske

Liske Member

[​IMG]

Hoping the cycling team does well, especially Clara Hughes.

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

No question Sinclair is on a short list of the 10 greatest female soccer players of all time - BUT her accomplishments are all from about 12 years back to about 2 years ago. She made a ton of mistakes today, short passes missed, abandoned possessions against a team of disorganized south afriikaans. Perhaps its age, perhaps injuries, perhaps a bit of both but Christine Sinclair doesn't really elevate her team like Martha does in Brazil, like Amy Wombach or Mia Hamm did in the USA (even Hope Solo for that matter)..... that being said, I'd rather the Canadian program go into battle with her than without her. After Tancredi and Jean Harlow Sesselman there isn't much to get excited about on that team. Frankly, I wish they showed a bit more emotion but I'm mostly concerned about their clear lack of applied fundamentals on the pitch.

19. Rids

Rids Member

Her accomplishments have tapered off more because of the lack of places to play than her skill level. She's 29! Lots of time left, we'll see her back in award winning form with her new club in Germany.

As for today's game it was more attempting to get all of the front 5 involved than anything else. Watch out she'll take over a game this Olympics and make everyone remember why she's a Champion.

20. Bronko

Bronko Member

Hope so. Remember, I'm never against Canada - but I'm very hard on performance!