On why the CFL needs to blow up several rules and start from scratch

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Jim Mullin, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jim Mullin

Jim Mullin New Member

2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellent piece, Jim!

I couldn't agree with you more.

I don't see any reason why the "hockey model" can't be applied to football in this country.

Perhaps the only strike against it is the logic of its implementation.

It only makes sense to adopt the changes you've contended for in your blog....which is sadly why I despair of ever seeing the CFL implement any of them...:(

TM

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jim, hope you read this & find the time to comment. I find all of your suggestions well presented & thought out. I think if the CFL & CIS adapted just half of your recommendations it would make a big difference. However, I get a sense that the CFL Board of Dinosaurs & the Academics in the Ivory Towers of the CIS will never come to any kind of an agreement to make any lasting & meaningful changes.
    The CIS could give out full scholarships to their athletes but are loathe to do so. The CFL could make changes to the way Canadian qbs are developed but nearly 3 decades after Jamie Bone nothing has changed. How hard is it to change the rules in the CFL to accomodate development of Canadian qbs? How hard is it to change the rules surrounding the CIS draft to have eligible players declare or draft junior players? Obviously pretty freaking hard as humans have been to the moon & back since changes were first discussed & no doubt we'll go to Mars or even the stars before anything is done by the CFL & CIS.
    I have been a fan of the CFL since 1965 when I was 10. I know how the league operates. All the excuses they throw up as roadblocks for progress, it is never ending. I mean, this is the same league that wanted to eliminate 7 Canadian starters in the last CBA negotiations. Why would the CFL really care if any Canadian qb started in the next 50 years???
    Remember when Ron Lancaster came out publicly a few years ago saying CFL teams really don't want a Canadian qb on the roster pushing for a starting spot because all it does is create pressure from that team's fanbase to play that Canadian at qb & CFL teams don't want the aggravation?? That was telling when Lancaster said that & tells me how Little Canadian teams actually want a Canadian qb to succeed. I believe they don't.
    Both the CFL & CIS can't see the Big Picture so nothing ever changes. The Americans who coach, manage & are execs in the CFL don't really want changes. They barely believe that Canadians can actually play the game of Canadian football, let alone play qb in the CFL. You can bet the academics in the CIS don't want a pro football league dictating to them how to run their footbal as that would be blasphemy. So, therefore, I don't expect to see any changes in my lifetime, sorry to say.