Once more, with feeling

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by AllSportsCalgary, Aug 3, 2019.

1. AllSportsCalgary

we are tops in the West division standings (at least at this exact moment). Which brings me to a question that I hope someone can answer. What is the first tie breaker in this case? I thought it was points for, but at the moment, Winnipeg is listed in second but have more points then us. They also have fewer against, so it can't be points differential either. They have not played against each other, so it can't be head-to-head yet. Is it wins within the division that is the tie breaker in this instance?

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The answer is the CFL is in error with respect to the application of its own rules.

And what would be new about that? :rolleyes:

According the tie-breaker formula the CFL uses to determine end of season tie-breakers between clubs, the Bombers should have the edge based on the third level of that set of rules:

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-tiebreak/

The first two tie-breakers are inapplicable (greater number of games won, and higher winning percentage), so it falls to the 3rd tie-breaker (net aggregate points).

The Bombers have a net differential of 80 points after 5 games, and in the same number of games, the Stampeders have 37.

Tie goes to the Bombers.

Somebody tell the league. ;)

And Go Stamps Go! :D

TM

3. AllSportsCalgary

Thanks Tundra, I thought it should be either most offensive points or point differential, but clearly we are behind in both of those categories. It is why I emphasized the first at the moment.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Missed the game today attending to other matters. However I had the chance to listen to the radio broadcast and again happy with the win. Very happy indeed due to the fact that Stamps haven't even come close to playing a complete game. With 2 victories and only one offensive touchdown I would say this team this year has been very opportunistic.

By all account the game should not have been that close at the end. The Stamps squandered or left a remarkable 22 points off the scoreboard. My recollection 6 for penalty on return; 12 to Edmonton on two {1 blown coverage, 1 on roughing the passer which resulted in a touchdown} bad plays; and 2 missed two point conversions.

Another big test come Thursday in Winnipeg against the Bombers. Hopefully, the Stamps can overcome their penchant for penalties and turnovers, because after losing two games in a row and seeing their lead at the top of the West the Bombers will more than snarly.

Go Stamps Go!

5. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

A win is a win...........a win is a win....a win is a win, BUT the offense is very very OFFENSIVE, without a doubt. Perhaps, it is time for Markeith Ambles to take a seat? Surely by now Aaron Peck has lost his "tight end weight" so that he can play as a wide receiver? Richie Sindani .... confidence issue, or simply not good enough?

Calgary's offence has seldom been this putrid, er offensive! I shutter to think what might happen when the Stampeders play Winnipeg on Thursday. Can the defence constantly bail out the offence if they have to be on the field for most of the game?

: Nailbiting:: Nailbiting:

#5 Seeker1, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019