Outlaw Sports TV - What can the Flame's get for Iggy?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Madman, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Grant and Mike talk about Jarome Iginlas trade value and what they can expect to get in return from the different teams on his list.

http://youtu.be/_YcQUvwrhIY

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

And the answer to that burning question posed by the title of this thread, Flames fans, is apparently....nothing.

TM

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Unfortunately, doing this deal so late into his career instead of a couple of years ago, his age & the fact that he is an UFA at the end of the season made this trade what it is. Getting a 1st rounder is a key here. Now, Calgary will just have to start drafting smarter as we have 2 first round picks this year. That is the wild card & will make or break this deal for the Flames.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Disagree.

I don't think it would have been material whenever Iginla was unloaded.

This organization has shown for years that it is not astute at winning the trade game, whether that was from Sutter's last major deal (the fire sale of Phaneuf for spare parts), through Feaster's first major one (the trade of Regehr for a couple of plugs and a bag of pucks).

Doug McLean along with Kypreos on Sportsnet this morning was lamenting the fact that the Flames didn't get more in terms of at least draft picks for Jarome. Any half-decent negotiations should have proceeded from the prospect that the Flames had several bidders tagging along, and that unless the ante was increased, they were prepared to hang on through the trading deadline, if necessary, for a better offer.

That better offer would have included a conditional 1st rounder next year if Iginla helped take them to the SCF, or won it, or resigned with the Penguins, in order to take the process out of a "pure rental" trade which is what Feaster allowed this to remain.

Not good enough when you're dealing the "Face of the Franchise", who isn't at all a "spent force" compared to a few years ago, which is what your comment implies.

Just ask the Pens fans if you don't want to believe me.

They're laughing.

And the rest of the league is laughing even harder at the Flames.

TM

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I won't disagree with you, TM. Had Iggy not been a pending UFA then maybe he'd have been worth more. Pens have to pay the guy & then hope he signs with them. So, a big risk for a rental player making a SC run. I dunno, when have we been satisfied after a major trade? I can't remember when people thought the Flames got the better end of a deal. From Doug Risebrough, through Al Coates, Craig Button, Darryl Sutter & now Jay Feaster... there have all been trades where we came out on the short end of the stick. And, since Cliff Fletcher left, we haven't traded well & we don't draft well, either. Just a killer combination for the team & why the team is in this mess in the first place.

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

If any fan was expecting an Iginla in return for Iginla - they would be sorely mistaken.

Iginla has ~15 games left in his contract, so to get 2 prospects + a pick is a very positive return on your investment.

Flames fans, don't fool yourself what 15 games of Iginla is worth.

While this was a very sad day, it was also a positive turn in the franchise.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nonsense.

How about a playoff run with Iginla on board a team virtually guaranteed to have a long one and a shot at all the marbles?

Basic math should indicate that's got to be worth more than "15 games".

More like half a season if they go the distance, and most of it with no payroll concerns or obligations towards Iginla for the Penguins as they make their way along the playoff trail.

And I'm not sure where you read anything in my post about "getting an Iginla back".

But 2 college guys (a 3rd and a 5th rounder), whose next step may be an ATC on the farm in Abbotsford, and a late-round 1st will square it all up?

How about one prospect and an NHL ready player who won't have be sent to the farm for indeterminate "seasoning"?

What about a further (conditional) draft pick dependent upon how the Penguins fare with Iginla aboard, or whether they sign him long-term?

We very clearly view this from a completely different perspective.

But good for you, I guess, if you are able to draw "positives" for the franchise from this process.

I certainly can't.

TM

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

TM, this team turned a corner today. Finally decided that signing older veteran players to expensive contracts & trying to boldly state that the Flames are a playoff team isn't working & instead bringing in prospects & draft picks are the way to go. I heard Ken King today being interviewed. He even said the same thing. Even said if Jay Feaster wants to call it a rebuild he is okay with that. He said the Flames are just getting started & that the team will be busy unloading big contracts. Expect Jay Bouwmeester to be next, according to Sporsnet 960 The Fan. Clearly, the team has changed direction. It HAD to be done. The question now is this the management team to get this done or will this going to be a 10 year rebuild?

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Roger Millions on Winnipeg radio (CJOB) now live. He said the deal is bad for what the team received. Said that the team should have traded him 2 years ago. Waited too long. Said, "that is what you get for waiting too long". I agree.

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll stand by what I said before, iso.

They got what they got because the Flames' front office hasn't demonstrated much competence in evaluating trade components for at least the last 3 years.

That span will of course include any time over the "past 2 years" when they could have pulled the trigger on a deal (but of course that in and of itself would have required JI to waive his NMC which he has, until now, been unwilling to do).

As for the remainder of the moves everyone is anticipating from the front-office?

If I was continuing to be invested in them as a Flames fan, I wouldn't expect anything but more of the same.

But as I also said before, I don't give a rat's ass what they do anymore.

TM

11. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

You can't look at today's deal and say "we could have got more 2 years ago" - is that true? Absolutely. Could the Flames got more 5 years ago, yes - so why didn't they trade him then....who cares. Not saying you said that TM, but that seems to be most fans' opinion.

The fact of the matter is they decided to trade him in this, the final year of his contract. It is a fact that Jarome was NOT going to re-sign with Calgary at the end of the year, (stated in so many words by both Feaster and Jarome). Another fact is that Jarome held the trump card in all of this and no matter what deal the Flames owners may have preferred or wanted, he was only going to go to the team he wanted to go to.

Would it have been nice to receive a true blue chip prospect and some other type of high pick? Sure, why wouldn't it have been? But the market dictated that he wasn't worth that from 3 teams and if the Flames wanted anything for him, they would be willing to receive the market value for him.

Would you rather he stayed for "half a season" and then left for absolutely nothing?

Don't get me wrong, I am a lifelong and diehard Flames fan - and while the timing was off on this deal and thus the return was diminished, I think they did fairly well all things considered.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, if you were a fan of the team becauseof just one player you have to question your committment then. Give this thing a chance to play out over the next couple of years to see what happens. You never struck me as the kind of fan in football or hockey that would just wipe his hands & say, "I'm done." You're hurt, upset & angry. I get that.
    Listen, you may have lost Jarome & feel betrayed as a Flames fan but that anger will pass. I lost my team. Trust me, NOTHING you can ever experience is as bad as that. When the Jets left Winnipeg for Phoenix in 96, I said the NHL could go eff itself. I stopped watching hockey. For years, I hated the NHL. I never became a die hard Flames fan because of how angry I was towards the NHL. When the Jets came back, I opened up my heart once more. I know a lot of fans in Winnipeg felt like me.
    To me, after experiencing that kind of a loss I look at things differently now. Jarome is just a player. Just a cog in a wheel that is replaceable. That is why I'm not hung up on this. Just trying to get you yo look at things through a different perspective.

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You guys think I'm pissed off, get a load of this "disappointed" Broons fan who thought Chiarelli had it in the bag:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Oph5bPghStQ[/video]

I have to say if there was any redemption for me in any of this, it has been in the entertainment I've gotten from watching the absolute melt-down of the beantowners over the subsequent loss of what they thought they were gonna steal from Feaster...

TM

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Never ceases to amaze me how fans embarass themselves on the internet. I wonder how many years it'll be before "We don't give a s**t about the f*****g prospects". We just want prospects. LOL!

15. Bronko

Bronko Member

Joe Honest (Chiaperelli) is really miffed at Jiggy & The Fatman (Feaster).

Adding Jarome would make the Broons a near guaranteed FINAL 4 team.

Adding Iggy to Sidberg almost (but not quite) guarantees a berth in the SC final.

Obviously, injuries and Marc Andre opening his five-hole can change all that but if Bylsma can't get this team into the SC final, he should be an assistant in Toronto!!!