Packers VS. Steelers

Discussion in 'American Football Talk' started by oilpatchhilbily, Dec 23, 2013.

1. oilpatchhilbily

While I am pro CFL and haven't cheered for a NFL team since back in the late 80's when 72 Steve "the fridge" Perry played for Chicago, I was invited to watch a game tonight with some close friends (He- Packers, Her - Steelers) and it was a pretty entertaining game

(will leave out my thoughts on the "free catch" and maybe one or two other differences between the leagues - good news is they still like the CFL, just need to work on them a little more lol).

If any of you watched the game, would like to hear from you on this.....with just over a minute left, the Packers headed up field and made it into the red zone with time to spare

(converted touchdown would tie the game)....why wouldn't the OC call to spike the ball and kill the clock on that first down in the zone? For whatever reason, they didn't and the next play was offside on the offence

(not what they called it - but same) and not only did they get knocked back 5 yards, but they took 10 out of the remaining 20 seconds off the clock as well....????

If you can explain any of those two mysteries to me, go a little further and explain what happened in the third quarter....Packers field goal attempt was blocked, one of the Steelers snagged it, took a step (control maybe yes maybe no),

tossed it back to a teammate (missed), bounced, and another teammate knocked it out of bounce.....call was illegal something for knocking out of bounds - Packers got the ball back plus 10 yards for 1st and 10? It's no secret the NFL rules are different to me,

but I wasn't alone in questioning these three things.

Edit: I remember Steve P not because I had ever seen him play, but because I read a few articles about him in Sports Illustrated when I played high school, and we had the same number - that, and his pictures showed him as big as a small house with attached garage (the league leading defence Chicago had at the time only helped ingrain that in my memory). Aside from that short burst between the end of our season and theirs, it's been Stamps all the way!

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

I didn't see a lot of that game so I won't speak to the spike or lack of spike but here's to the rest.

Offensive penalties in the final minute have a clock run off to stop teams from intentionally taking a penalty to stop the clock. Much like our CFL rule where players that get attention from the trainers have to take 3 plays off. The hope is to stop teams on offense from doing that. (I'm waiting for a team in the lead to do it and kill more clock than the usual 6 seconds per play...). Offensive offside in the NFL is called False Start; in the CFL it's offside if done by a receiver or Illegal Procedure if done by a lineman.

The penalty on the FG attempt was Illegal Batting. The Steelers tried to advance the ball before obtaining possession. Again in the CFL this would've been ok drawing back to our rugby history. Some of the images showed that the Steeler was touched with a knee on the ground and still holding the ball. Because he tried to do something with the ball there they ruled that he didn't actually possess the ball. If he had gone to the ground it would've been Steeler ball. Not 100% sure that the on field officials got the call right but it'll go with what they call most of the time.

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

It was a wild one for sure. Didn't matter to the Pack because they would still need a win in Chicago and as for Pittsburgh they need for Baltimore,SD and Miami to all lose next week while they must beat Cleveland. A long shot at best.

4. oilpatchhilbily

I hear you Deuvl, it was a long shot for both (less so for the Packers than Steelers), but you're right, entertaining for sure...

5. oilpatchhilbily

That's the word, "batting"....from the reaction of the commentators and length of time to finalize the call - imagine that's not a very common call.

Your description on "clock run off' explains a lot in that scenario (there to hinder clock stoppage without a loss of a down by spiking in the last minute) - definitely worked against the Packers losing those 10 of 20 seconds. It's also very easy to see how a winning offence

may start taking advantage of that rule and a possibly a future rule change in the future as a result? I don't know how long that rule has been in effect with the NFL, but for a ruling aimed squarely at the loosing offence, it does seem funny the winning offences haven't taken

advantage of it yet like you said....and yes, false start was the other term I was looking for - thanks again Rids!!!!

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually don't understand how the steelers would pass the dolphins as miami would finish with a better conference record than all 3 other teams.

7. Rids

Rids Member

If the Dolphins, Ravens and Chargers all lose and the Steelers beat the Browns, Pittsburgh is the sixth seed.

The win-loss record in conference is the 3rd tiebreaker to apply.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

deuvl likes this.
  8. Rids

Rids Member

9. Rids

Rids Member

Looks like San Diego will control their road coming up. Win and they are in, lose and those unlikely Steelers make it.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw that on nfl.com. thanks for posting it here. I admit it's still confusing as heck. packers-bears going down to the wire.

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

tough loss at home for marc but perhaps better now than next week against the saints or 49ers who could very well meet in the NFC title game. Steelers out as the Chargers barely squeak in, (and i mean barely) likely to get mauled in cincy where the bengals have yet to lose this season. chiefs-colts the matchup of the weekend for sure and good luck to jess's cowboys.