Pennsylvania HS

Discussion in 'American Football Talk' started by Rids, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Just a photo of some high school bleachers in Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nice but I've seen nicer...

3. Rids

Rids Member

Well the 5 Texas high schools with over 18,000 in seating blow this away. Still I would've loved to have this out behind Diefenbaker when I was still in Calgary.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Here's a step up from the Pennsylvania school.

[​IMG]

5. Rids

Rids Member

Yes that's a high school. The current 6th largest high school stadium in Texas.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Massillon High School in Cleveland, Ohio has it's own indoor year round training facility... To me, that is more impressive than a big high school football stadium... Indoor facilities, especially fixed roof ones are very expensive. Plus this has a field turf surface. How do you post pictures again? Rerhaps Rids, you could repost my picture here so people don't have to click on the link, thanks.

[​IMG]

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Did you know that the school division that approved the stadium funds pictured here then laid off a bunch of teachers because they didn't have the money to pay them???

8. Rids

Rids Member

In Texas both Highland Park and Lake Travis have indoor training facilities. I believe there are a couple others but those are the most famous. The Green Bay Packers used the facilities at Highland Park when they were in Dallas for the Super Bowl.

The rumor that the school division paid for the stadium and then laid off teachers is a thread of truth and a pocketful of innuendo. The real truth to the matter is that in 2008 the Allen High School booster club approached the School Division with a plan for expansion to the 5000 student high school. The plan called for $120 million dollars to be raised and spent on a new football stadium to replace the old one that was 40 years old, a new fine arts auditorium and a School District resource building. Allen High School has the largest high school marching band in the US with over 600 members.

The Allen ISD required that the booster club come forward with money in trust for the project before they would put it forward for a vote. The Booster Club raised a million dollars by themselves and then it was carried forward for a public vote. Unlike in Canada where things are behind closed doors the residents of Allen, TX voted 63% in favor of taking out a bond package to finance the construction with the Booster Club continuing to raise funds during that time. The vote happened in 2009.

In 2011 the State of Texas budget was slashed to make up for a deficit. The proposal was for $31 billion to be cut from the State's spending including $10 billion on public education over 2 years. So really the reduction in staffing has no direct link to the purchase of the stadium other than it is happening at the same school. I do love the articles though broadly proclaiming that Allen chooses stadium over staff when by the time the State budget came out the bulk of the work was done on the stadium. Sorry, ripping the stadium out at that point would've cost more than completing it.

9. Rids

Rids Member

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/303148#ixzz20zYgZswG

10. Rids

Rids Member

Full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=d ... ball020311

Includes the $4.5 million dollar facility at Highland Park.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You gotta admit, the optics of the situation looks bad. if there was a vote on a new stadium now with the cuts, I bet the stadium initiative would have been defeated. Or maybe not. I don't live in Texas. I am neither a booster, a parent or a player. Maybe people in Allen, TX feel that football is more important than education. Who knows??

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Pretty sad that Hamilton's new ball park will only have 4,000 more seats than the stadium in Allen, TX & the stadium in Ottawa just 7,000 more. Thankfully in Winnipeg & Regina it'll be nearly double the size.

13. Rids

Rids Member

Yes without the details the optics are really bad, but the system is much different than the Canadian system. Imagine if the Peace Bridge had been voted on by the public rather than decided by an out going council?

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Then I'd say the people want it. Not some left wing tree hugging civic politicians with personal agendas...

15. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

surprised no one mentioned penn state today as that was on CNN all morning too. There is this one scene in the batman movie that might have been a better option for them.

16. Rids

Rids Member

17. Rids

Rids Member

18. Rids

Rids Member

News out of Allen, TX