Position by Position Anaylsis

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 30, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Sure be easier if you guys just posted the link here first. :D

A position by position analysis of the 2012 Training Camp players.

Read full article: http://www.stampeders.com/article/position-analysis

Read full article: http://www.stampeders.com/article/position-analysis

Tags:
  2. Newton

Newton Member

Missionary - A solid performer, but said to lack creativity.

Freestyle - Sort of a catch all phrase really, usually sounds better than it really is.

T-Square - allows for the most eye contact and player interaction, but is over rated.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think Sinopoli is in tough. This new kid sounds like the real deal. If Brad can't show he is capable of leading the team or at least the potential to do that then this Bo Levi Mitchell kid will take his place.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

With all this talk about Bo Levi Mitchell I decided I should find out what all the buzz is about. Here's what I found.

He sounds an awful lot like Drew Tate (smallish, somewhat limited athletically, accurate short to intermediate, lacks ideal arm strength, strong leader, above average elusiveness...) I wouldn't say he's a shoo in but he's an intriguing prospect. However if it comes down to deciding which developmental QB to keeps, in terms of physical tools Sinopoli still has him by a considerable margin in my opinion. Should be interesting to see what happens though.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It is going to be tough for Sinopoli. He's stuck at #3 for the next few seasons plus he has to fight off these young American qbs. Will he be a CFL starting CFL qb for us someday? Don't think it'll be for us.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Hufnagel is already on record as stating that if on their play he's given any reason to keep 4 quarterbacks on the roster, he'll try to find some way to do it.

TM

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Kevin Glenn is pro football's shortest classic drop back passer. At 33, with a wealth of backup and starting experience behind him, 'Ol KG has his work cut out for him as the CFL's 'ULTIMATE JOURNEYMAN'....

32,000 passing yards is no easy task but Glenn has QB'd some horrible teams and allowed to proceed cuz no one was better out of the bullpen.....

With a knee brace or two, a full tummy of Tim Horton's donuts (he owns 2 or more Timmy franchises in the detroit area) and standing an impressive 5'8 and 3/4", the guy is a worker with a ton of heart. If Drew Tate can prove his salt in Cowtown, Glenn might have his day as a highly paid CFL backup who only gets dropped in for clean-up or way-behind duty....

Obviously, Kevin's strengths are a decent gun (for a little man), good pocket presence, ability to step off the pocket and excellent durability.

His obvious weaknesses are inability to clear sky-scraper d-linemen and blitzing linebackers, a waddling fairly slow open-field glide and presenting no fear to defensive coordinators about potential QB jailbreaks. He's also imho the highest paid backup in the league - fortunately, Tate is not yet ranked in the top $$ group of CFL starters.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think Glenn will prove his worth here much like Danny Barrett did with Jeff Garcia in 1996. When Garcia faltered, Barrett came in to rescue the game. Tate may need a veteran presence around to help him out. The key was, Garcia was always the starter while Barrett was always the backup. Hufnagel was there during the Garcia-Barrett combo as he is now.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

I've always liked Kevin Gelnn. He's always struck me as a genuinely good teammate. He's also a very underrated QB, a little bit streaky, but if he gets hot in a game he really can light up a defensive with his quick, rhythm throws. There will be no shortage of weapons at his disposal if the team does have to turn to him.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

At least Glenn can play. What was the point in having Danny McManus here a few years ago? Paying a veteran qb a very good salary to do absolutely nothing on Game Day was a real head scratcher. And a total waste of money which would have been better spent elsewhere.

11. Liske

Liske Member

I feel sorry for the number #3 guy on the Stamps QB depth chart right now....whoever it is. Tate is relatively young (28), and if he does well and continues to be the starter, he could be the number 1 for a very long time, a decade or more. No 3rd stringer is going to hang around that long. If the number 3 is good, he'll get snapped up by another team at some point (just like Tate himself did).

Whoever the current 3rd stringer is will likely not be our future starting QB, unless Tate is seriously injured, does not pan out, or becomes a free agent and signs with someone else.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I agree. I just can't see the #3 guy willing to wait maybe 8 years to have a chance to start. I think the Ottawa team will want to draft Sinopoli as he played his CIS football in Ottawa & he'd sell tickets.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'm not sold Tate will be an 8 year starter yet. It's way to early to tell. I hope he is. As a backup over the past several years he looked like a world beater. As a starter he looked, well, adequate I guess. That doesn't mean he won't progress as a starter, but it doesn't guarantee he will either.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Garcia looked ordinary at times when he began to start. It's a growth process. He'll play better with more experience.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

That's a very good point. I mean Garcia had 6TD performance pretty much right off the bat but took awhile to turn into a consistently great QB. Tate looked phenomenal coming off the bench and leading a near massive comeback against Toronto and then had his struggles late last year once given the starting position on a full time basis.