Pressure on Bombers to find a QB

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

I'm told there's immense pressure brewing in the Bomber backrooms to find a replacement for the non-passing Chris Streveler and the non-productive/injured Matt Nichols - basically to save the season and next years BOX OFFICE.

If you want a QB who can deliver upwards of 300 yds passing (neither Mutt Nichols or Crazy Legs Streveler) are capable of this - Streveler might on a good day hit 140-170 yds, Nichols is a consistent performer in the 175 to 220 yds passing area.

Two guys I'd target.
    One immediately and one during the off-season.

NOW - McLeod Bethel Thompson of Toronto. He's a near pure passer, veteran kind of guy. Better pure passer than Nichols who can actually wheel it better than Mighty Mutt on the roll-outs, etc. Not quite as proficient/strong a runner as Streveler but who is? Could be available before the trade deadline from the woeful Argos - who won't be joining us this year for playoff festivities anyways.

OFF-SEASON - Dane Evans or Jeremiah Masoli. Evans just rolled the Argos for 440 yds passing as the temporary replacement for Masoli. Ticats might keep him and trade Masoli if Evans can bring them to a Grey Cup - if not go after Evans. Ticats can't keep 2 starters on their roster.

Give Hammy Mutt Nichols and a couple hog Canadians, maybe a starting DB or a 1st round draft pick and vola Wpg's starting problems are over.

Evans/Streveler

or

Masoli/Streveler

could cause major damage for CFL defenses everywhere. Mutt Nichols and Running Man Chris won't.

Based on the stubbornness factor alone I suspect Bombers won't follow my lead.

Instead they'll go with Nichols to their deathbed and deathbed it will be if the bombers fizzle out down the stretch.

Streveler will be a FA - so he'll sign with BC or Toronto, perhaps even Ottawa as a backup, starter-in-training.

Leaving Nichols in the #1 spot after a bomber fizzleout this season will mean continued failing crowds - perhaps 22,000 to 22,500 instaed of the current 24,400 to 25,300.

Big pressure on all the job-runners in Wpg., from CEO Wad Miller to GM Kyle to HC O'Smirk . . . . but a hard rain is gonna fall.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just gonna add another name to the Bombers request list for pro QBs.

Your boy, Nikita Arbuckle. Certainly more effective than the unshaven hobo Mutt Nichols and far better passer than Chris "Crazy Legs" Streveler.

Once Mitchell is proven healthy - Arbuckle will face the choice of being a starter for another team for starter's money or continue to play clipboard caddy for the Stamps behind Mitchell. btw - Arbuckle might chose the clipboard over working with no-minds like O'Shea & PLOP.

Other name is Mike Reilly. But I think the Hatman is pretty much beaten blue by this point and doesn't need any more beatings inflicted. . . . . even if Wpg. will be a near certain playoff team (1 game guaranteed) while BC will be finished after their final regular season outing.