Prometheus

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Christoph, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

I need to get to the important stuff here and ask you what we're all wondering. Was Promethius as freakin' awesome as it looked like it was going to be?

Tags:
  2. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

RE: Tate Taking Firm Grip; Becoming a More Vocal Leader

Well if you are expecting an Alien movie you will be a little disappointed but it does pretty well explain the events leading up to the first Alien movie. I give it a solid 8/10 (I'm not an easy guy to impress) as the effects were some of the best I've seen and it had some really intense moments. If you don't mind spending a bit extra I highly recommend seeing it on IMAX 3D as IMO it was the most visually stunning movie I have seen since Avatar. If you go in expecting to see an entertaining science fiction movie you will not be disappointed and it's one of those movies where you will think about it after watching as opposed to disposable action movies like the Avengers (which is still a really good movie) as there are questions raised about the origins of man and there are some internet sites that really dissect the movie into some really interesting theories.

Check this out only after watching;
    http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The very dirst Alien movie in 1978 was hugely intense... The scenes where the crew get killed one by one got dragged out so long it was torture watching it as you knew they were dead.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll continue the derail and say that I saw Prometheus here in Edmonton on opening night with my wife, who found it far too intense for her. She left the theatre about mid-way through for about 30 minutes and I had to piece things together for her later.

It is a spectacularly photographed picture whose special effects are, I think, unparalleled.

As Ridley Scott has stated, it contains the DNA of the original Alien series, but it is a self-contained story in its own right.

It also manages to raise more questions than it answers.

The perfect "primordial soup" from which sequels are conjured. ;)

I will hazard the opinion that Prometheus will not be a single entry...

(I had been considering opening up a new thread on Prometheus last weekend, and maybe I'll use this derailment to split these posts off, and use the "DNA" contained in this thread to generate a new one) ;)

TM

5. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I don't want to post spoilers but there were two scenes that were a little too much for my wife as well. I'm sure you know one scene for sure which was one that will go down much like the original chest burster. In regards to the 'more questions than answers' I feel Scott intended this but I also think some of the film was edited to keep the running time at 2 hours as Bladerunner (original intended ending) and even the original Alien (what happened to Dallas) answered questions in their director cuts. The door is open for a sequel but given the visual technology I would be down for an updated remake of the original as well.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

That was part of the 30 minute "absence" I mentioned, but she left well prior to that particular scene.

She didn't even want an outline from me concerning that particular element of what she missed. (I've been known to be quite "descriptive"...);)

IMDb also has some very interesting discussion concerning the picture, but I'd also recommend anyone who plans to see it should refrain from visiting it until afterward.

TM

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

For fans of the original 1979 Alien, the new entry in the series offers new revelations about not only the origins of that picture, but perhaps life on earth itself:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIJeQNyZ6VE[/video]

TM

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I am a sci fan but not a horror film so I'll pass on this one... I've seen all the Alien movies but just don't want to see this one.

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You can pass it up if you wish, but while there are certainly elements of the horrific scenes depicted throughout the Alien series, I wouldn't desribe this film as a "horror" picture.

I can say that I wasn't frightened, revulsed or startled by it, since I think anyone who has seen the original series will, within a few minutes of its opening scenes, have had telegraphed to him or her not only what fate will likely befall a certain character at some point in the film, but how it's likely to happen.

However, it is the broader sweep of the movie, and the philosophical queries it posed respecting the origin of the human species, that I found resonated with me well after the picture ended.

It's a very worthwhile experience, but it's clearly not going to be for everyone.

My wife will attest to that...;)

TM

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Those scenes in the first movie were intense. Something film goers in 1978 weren't used to & something I'll never forget.

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

Don't worry I haven't been expecting Alien and I'm glad you're saying it didn't turn out to be the same thing under a different title. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of those movies, but we've been there and done that, I wanted something that was a little more on a grand scale and the previews seemed to be promising exactly that. That's why I was excited.

Oh and thanks for posting without giving away spoilers. I always appreciate that since I'm a movie buff and it's one of my biggest pet peeves.