QB depth chart

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by zBrain, Jun 15, 2012.

1. zBrain

zBrain Member

Have we been reading it upside down?

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

LOL! One game does not a season makes... I liked what I saw from Bo Levi Mitchell. I thought Sinopoli was hanging on to the ball too long. He saved our game but I still think Levi is #3.

3. Liske

Liske Member

I was NOT impressed with Drew Tate. He seemed to pick up right where he left off in the 2011 West Semi-Final. Maybe he's fooled us all, and he really is just a good backup.

If Tate doesn't have a show-stopping quarter in Regina, then if I'm Huff, I start Glenn on July 1 (based soley on performance, not preconceived ideas).

Glenn looked pretty good, like the Glenn we all know.

Sinopoli and B.L. Mitchel also looked impressive for their position in the depth chart.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Tate is way too tight. Wound up like a steel trap... He has to relax to get ready to play, not psych himself out. Which is what I thought I saw today.

5. zBrain

zBrain Member

I agree. Obviously I was being sarcastic...but Mitchell looks like a diamond in the rough. Sinopoli looked good once he settled in but he runs too quickly. He needs to learn to progress through his reads. Huf is going to need another look but Mitchell looks really good out of the gate.

Tate needs to settle down. Glenn was as advertised.

6. Liske

Liske Member

He's always like that though, even when he has good games and is on fire.

7. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

A little bit of a knee jerk reaction based on one quarter of play no? I agree Tate looked terrible but should the Argos bench Ray because he looked terrible on Wednesday? You need to have some patience as there will be growing pains with Tate but you don't trade away a guy like Henry Burris and immediately pull the plug on his replacement after a couple of preseason games. That's simply terrible management and Huff is a lot smarter than that.

I like Glenn as a backup but there's a reason he's backing up in Calgary and not starting in Hamilton as we all know that Glenn will only take you so far. He's competent but he's not elite and will never be elite. We still don't know if Tate can't be elite and likely won't know until the end of the season at the earliest and maybe not until next season. Lulay was terrible until the halfway mark of last season and there was a time when Wally was thinking of starting Jackson and just goes to show you need to show patience with young QB's because things would have been different for the Lions if Wally pulled the plug on Lulay.

8. Liske

Liske Member

Apples/Oranges. Ray is an elite QB with nearly a decade as a starter, and a Grey Cup ring. Tate has been a backup for three years and has exactly 4 games as a starter. He hasn't proven anything yet, including whether he should be the starter. He inherited that mantle only because Burris's performance had nose-dived.

The coach's job is to field the best players. If Tate isn't really the best player at his position it would be irresponsible to start him.

Agreed. But there was a bit of a revolving door at QB in BC after Dickenson retired. None of Wally's many young QBs seemed to emerge as an undisputed first stringer. I'm sure Wally made his decision about Lulay based on Lulay's performance, and not on any preconceived plan to have a certain young prospect as the designated starter. As terrible as Lulay was his first season, Jackson must have been even worse.

All I'm saying is if Tate stinks out the place again, and Glenn marches the team downfield, should Huff put blinders on? Maybe Glenn starts July 1 and Tate the next game. That's how Wally did it for most of that one season.

Tate may be the second coming, or he might not pan out. We don't know yet as you say. Huff kept starting Burris, long after we as fans all began to suspect something was wrong. I just hope Huff is quicker at pulling Tate if he starts to slide.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, it's okay when he wins but not when he loses. Looks like he is sulking.

10. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

You're actually proving my point here. You are expecting a guy that has started 4 games to be on par with a guy like Ray. That's simply unrealistic expectations.

Glenn's not the answer if the question is "Can we win the Grey Cup?". I have faith he can be a significant contributor in the way Maas was backing up Ray but I believe you are lowering your ceiling making him starter.

11. Liske

Liske Member

I'm not expecting that. You were comparing the situation with Ray and Tate. Ray is an elite QB who has proven himself over the years. If he has a bad preseason quarter, it's no big deal. Everyone knows it's just a blip, and they know what he's capable of. Tate has had only four games as a starter. He looked really good in 3 of them, and poor in one. He again looked poor in his first preseason rotation. So unlike Ray, there's not much history or trend to be confident in either way. Therefore, Tate should warrant a shorter leash, because maybe, just maybe, those three games were not really as indicative as we all thought. Maybe he's just a streaky QB ? Maybe he just looks good coming off the bench? That's why it was not a good comparison.

We'll know soon enough whether Tate is the real deal or if he's just another second string wonder that never panned out.

I don't want to waste half a season finding out though. He's been in the line up three years. That's why I think Tate should have a short leash. We are not rebuilding here, we've got incrediable talent in every other phase of the game. We should be in the Western Final at least. We are on the cusp.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I still think that Tate has to change 2 aspects of his game. One, he can't just go sit on the bench after a series. He has to communicate with his coaches & teammates. he has to be readyt to go the next series. Wanting to be alone even just for a couple of minutes shows selfishness & there's no room for that on a team. Two, his pre game prep. He was as tight as a drum yesterday & it was obvious. The guy has to relax. Nothing wrong with having nerves but he has to be calm & ready when the game is being played. He only calmed down after he was pulled.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Well... they looked about on par last game! ;) :p

I'm just glad Tate doesn't meander through entire games looking completely disinterested the way Ray does. Unfortunately right now Tate is in check down mode just like Ray always seems to be. Although the difference is that Ray is just content to dump it off without stretching the field. Tate seems to be too up tight and isn't letting the game come to him. It's almost that he's in a panic and dumping it off. Different cause, same effect.

I think he'll settle in and turn back into that guy that oozed so much confidence and contagious energy like we saw in the near comeback against Toronto when he came in for a lackluster Burris. But you never know. Some guys are just better suited to be backups. It's not a lack of talent necessarily, it's more that they lack the mentality.

14. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Garcia was a pretty intense guy and I think Tate is in a similar mode where he puts a lot of pressure on himself to lead his team down the field. Everyone remembers Garcia for that incredible first start against the Eskimos and the Grey Cup win but he was a little up and down at times.

I don't have any issues turning to Glenn if Tate isn't effective but Huff stuck with Burris through a lot of 'Frank' performances so I don't expect him to run a revolving door at the position. Quite frankly after last night's game I'm more concerned with the receivers holding on to the ball. Lots of drops last night.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Rambo and Bryant certainly had their issues in that regard last year too. We have a very good receiving corps but I've always felt they've dropped a few more balls than they should.

If Rambo has lost a step, I have no problem with them pulling Robert McCune and unloading him. He's too much of a loose cannon.

If Bryant can't start hauling passes in with a little more consistency, I have no problem with him being replaced either. Don't get me wrong, I've often the defended the guy. He's a fantastic athlete and very versatile. He showed that in camp by playing special teams. He can stretch the field and blow the top off a defense or catch a ball underneath and then bust a tackle or make a man miss for a big play. Unfortunately none of that matters if the ball is bouncing to the turf while he's making that man miss...

I'm really disappointed Maurice Price got hurt because I really felt he could have pushed one of those two out the door and we wouldn't have missed a beat.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Price will be back. Don't forget, as bad as it is to get injured... at least it was in training camp & the real games won't be starting for another 2 weeks.