Quarterback decisions

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rich, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Rich

Rich Member

Boy, the Stamps are going to have a problem come november. Bo is ready to be #2 if not a starter, Glenn is solid and reliable, Tate is great but fragile. I think Tate should be the starter, if he gets injured and is out for a bit, then I think Glenn should be in to finish, and be given the chance to get his Grey Cup. Come November, I would release Tate. I like him, he has great potential, but he is just to fragile. Glenn has shown he can win games, and he is getting better the more he stays in. Bo is ready, heck I could see Bo as #1 with Glenn as backup. Calgary finally has more depth at the most important position but will lose somebody. This team is dangerous, come August 9 we will see how good they are.

Tags:
    Christoph likes this.
  2. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Rich I seen enough In my opinion you seen the future of the Calgary Stampeders! Do not get me wrong I like Tate but injuries makes me lean more to Bo then Tate at the moment! And Glenn well as we all know Ottawa can take one or the other but right now If I were Huf I would be keeping Bo on the protected list! I do realize this was Winnipeg but thats not forget they have a very good defensive unit! hey about that offensive Line take a bow guys you played well!

3. Rich

Rich Member

Bo needs to be protected. I think he was ready last year to be #2, but also the extra year watching made him better. I think Tate's durability will be his downfall. I don't think it will matter who leaves in November. Calgary right now can absorb losing one of them, but Bo is the future.

Christoph likes this.
  4. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Well it really comes down to the two young guys and right now I have to say Bo has more value and I am not saying Tate is not worthy. But the question mark on Drew being healthy game in and game out is the separator when evaluating who to protect. I would hate to lose any of them but the reality is there is a strong possibility one will get chosen! Now that Drew Willy has played I am wondering who Ottawa would take Willy or Tate? Even Goltz will be looked at because frankly the offense for the Bombers is a bit suspect and possibly coaching. But I would protect Bo for sure.

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

There are also a couple of quarterbacks in Toronto who may also get some exposure if Ray can't go, and is out for very long, so it's anything but a foregone conclusion who Ottawa will draft, but I certainly have to agree that BLM is probably pretty close to the top of their list if he's made available.

And for that reason, (unless Tate should come back and win Calgary the Cup), I don't think Mitchell will be.

He looks like the surest bet for the Stampeders' future than any QB has in a long time.

Well at least since 2011 that is, when it was Tate himself who looked like that...;)

TM

Christoph likes this.
  6. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

Collaros will get the start on Tues for the Argos, so week 5 film will be important in review for the RedBlacks.
    I'm thinking Willy, Mitchell then Goltz in order of choice..... Although some will be dependant on OC and supporting cast. Willy just looked a bit more mature..... Which may be good for the Stamps. We'll have to see how Collaros does against the Lions. .... Yikes

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I personally think there are 2 certainties in Stamps-land:

- Tate is the starter of the Stamps; when he is healthy to return he will be the #1 until his play dictates otherwise
    - BLM will be the protected QB in the expansion draft regardless of Tate's play

So, how about this scenario?

Tate comes back next game and plays strong, showing no signs of his injury(s) - do the Stampeders try to shop him to a team like Winnipeg and grab a decent return instead of potentially losing him to Ottawa?

Thoughts?

Christoph likes this.
  8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

this next game is as big as it gets. if tate starts and craps the joint then the decision will be easier.

9. Rich

Rich Member

Tate's future lies in being able to stay healthy. He has yet to finish 2 complete games, in a row. Madman makes an excellent choice, maybe put him on the market and see what you can get, because if he dose finish the season and dose well, I think it makes the choice for Ottawa easier. We could lose him and get nothing. Glenn only has a few years left, I think he is happy here in Calgary, and I could see him being #2 behind Bo next year, staying on long enough to get whoever is #3 ready for action. I see Glenn as being more valuable in the long run, having a solid backup to the uncertain Tate. Tate needs to finish the season off without anymore injuries. If he finishes the season and wins the cup, we would probably lose him. Damn expansion draft.

10. Liske

Liske Member

Glenn is not happy being a backup. He's made that clear. He wants to start, and he is being very professional about accepting his role here. His contract is up at the end of this season, and his career window is getting shorter. The only way Glenn stays in Calgary is if he becomes the starter, which is very unlikely.

If we trade Tate and protect Bo, and Glenn bolts to Winnipeg or Ottawa, where does that leave us? Just Bo and a raw rookie fourth stringer?

Think it through some more.

11. Rids

Rids Member

Keep in mind that Drew Tate had only started 6 games coming into this season but most Stampeder fans were ok with him being the #1. Bo has the time this year to rack up 14 starts and although he won't have as many rostered seasons in the CFL he potentially will have more regular season game experience than Drew did walking into the year.

I agree that Kevin Glenn likely doesn't stick around another year if he's the back up and while he might not like his options it does appear that Ottawa is the location he'll have to go to if he wants to extend his career. Montreal is on the outside edge of that depending on what AC does but I could see the Als going with somebody that fits their scheme a little better next year.

Tate has been in the CFL since May of 2007 and has 8 career starts (and didn't start until his 5th CFL season) to go with the well documented injuries.

Another thought is that if you trade a healthy Tate to Winnipeg after Week 9 then you can activate Ryan Perrilloux and probably get him into a couple games to see exactly what you have there. Bo Levi threw 21 passes as a rookie behind Tate and Glenn so the former LSU Tiger could probably step on the field a couple times too.

12. Liske

Liske Member

I don't really want to jump on the 'dump Tate' bandwagon, but one possible albeit remote scenario would be if Huf wanted to deal Tate or expose him in the draft -- and if he wanted BLM to have just one more year of development -- would be to sign Glenn to a one year deal as the starter next year (2014) with Bo as back-up. Then have Bo starting for sure in 2015.

There are just too many permutations to our QB pecking order that have yet to be sorted out. The play of Tate for the rest of this season, and the results of the expansion draft will definitely clear a lot of things up.

13. Glenn Saunders

While the Stamps clearly have more depth at QB than anyone else - there is no certainly Ottawa will snag a QB from use.

Consider there may be guys like Adrian MacPherson that are not under contract. And they could get Drew Willy from Sask and maybe one of the guys from Toronto if one steps up here tonight. But one thing is for sure - El Matodor will be protected unless he gets hit by a bus, and that leaves Maver, the All Star Punter open. I love this guy and hope we can keep him, but Ottawa can't take a Kicker and a QB and if you ad ONE unprotected kicker to take, you know it has to be Maver ....as long as you can get MacPherson , Willy and Collaros (maybe) AND Maver!.

Say it isn't so but I hope we Protect and keep Bo and find a way to keep Maver for next year too.

14. Jayman

Jayman Member

One of your guys ends up in Winnipeg before September.
    Too much talent, too much need need.

15. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

Don't think the Bombers would be too excited about trading for Tate, based on their Buck Pierce experience. No way Huff trades any QB before the Expansion Draft, just leaves him too vulnerable to being down to one proven QB going into '14.

If you read the rules of the draft, in The Stamps case, you almost WANT TO LOSE A QB in the first round, because then you can't lose a kicker in rounds 2 or 3. Since we CURRENTLY have a wealth of QBs who have demonstrated that they can start, and have the two best kickers, that may be the the best way to go.

Or maybe Huff has another plan!

16. Flash

Flash Member

Bombers don't need another glass jaw QB. Already got one! Buck will be unhappy holding the clipboard and Tater Tot will be even grumpier.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

Exactly - the pool for potential redblack QBs is vast.

Could be Willy and Collaros
    Could be Collaros and Tate
    Could be Willy and Tate
    Off the board = Nicholls & Collaros

Won't be Buck, unless he gets cut loose by bombers and wants to be 3rd stringer in Ottawa.

Collaros and Tate would be a nice combo cuz you need an athletic young buck to protect against Tate's propensity to injure.

18. Rids

Rids Member

Edmonton has used all 3 QBs tonight again. Just like they did last week.

19. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

Ottawa's GM commented that he may not need to take a QB in the draft as some will be available as free agents in Feb. Are some of the Stamps QBs available then?

20. Liske

Liske Member

The only Stampeder QB that would be available then would be Glenn, whose contract is up at the end of this season. BLM is locked up until 2015, and Tate also has an extension but I don't know exactly for how long.