Quick Six and the Grey Cup

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Nov 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Earlier yesterday, there was some uncertainty around the Stamps having Quick Six tear the sidelines up at BC Place.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/11/2...tampeders-touchdown-horse-will-be-at-grey-cup

Although from the sounds of it today, the Stampeders will in fact have a steed with Karyn Drake roaring down the field, but it'll be a rented horse and not Quick Six himself.

As I seem to recall though, when the Stamps have made the trip to a Grey Cup in the past, they have done this as well.

Although with this year's GC being in Vancouver there was a possibility of driving there, but with the weather set to wreak havoc on the mountains it's a good call to keep Quick Six at home.

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

I think you're right. I believe Karen rented horses in other Grey Cups. In the 1995 Grey Cup in Regina, I think we brought whoever our horse was at the time. I can't remember what the case was in 1998 in Vancouver.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Quick Six was there in Toronto I believe.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Official confirmation that Karyn will be in Vancouver to support the Stamps.

Karyn Drake, Calgary Stampeders' touchdown horse rider, headed to Grey Cup after all
    This time there will be no sizeable mess for Grey Cup organizers to step around as the Stampeders have been given clearance to have their beloved Touchdown Horse on the sideline for Sunday's big game.

Unlike each of the Stampeders' last two Grey Cup appearances when league officials tried in vain to ban the team's largest fan, longtime rider Karyn Drake said she has been given thumbs up by team brass.

"I just got the call from the Stampeders confirming everything is a go," said Drake, who has charged her trusty steed along McMahon Stadium's east sideline after every Stamps touchdown since 1993.

However, her 21-year-old quarter horse, Quick Six , won't be joining her.

"If it wasn't the middle of November I would take him with me but it's too dangerous as you never know what weather you'll get through the mountains," said Drake, who will borrow a horse Sunday.

"He'll be out in the pasture, comfortable. Enjoying the break."
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/11/2...down-horse-rider-headed-to-grey-cup-after-all

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Last 2 grey cups for Calgary only had the touchdown horse run once each time. Hopefully we'll see more gallops this Sunday.