Quinn Smith tests positive for banned substance

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Quinn Smith tests positive for banned substance

TORONTO -- A drug test administered at the 2014 CFL Combine in Toronto has confirmed that Concordia University's Quinn Smith has tested positive for a banned substance.

Smith, who performed as both an offensive and defensive lineman at the Combine, made the announcement through a Concordia statement.

"It is with deep regret that I inform you I have been notified of an Adverse Analytical Finding by the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) from an out of competition doping control test on March 21 in Toronto," said Smith in a statement.

"I accept full responsibility for the result of Stanozolol metabolite in my test. I can assure you it was not my intention to use a banned substance or to try to beat the system. I did not properly research the contents of supplements I obtained online and I will accept the consequences of my actions. Since it was inadvertent on my part, I have asked to have my B sample tested and am waiting for the results," he continued.

I have the deepest respect for the CFL, the CIS and Concordia University and am thankful for the opportunities they offer young people like myself. I have brought undue negative attention to these organizations and for this I am truly sorry. I would like to thank my family and friends for their unwavering support through this difficult time."

The six-foot-two, 305-pound Scarborough, ON. native impressed scouts at the March Combine, registering strong numbers in both on and off-field testing.

On Saturday, Smith tallied 28 reps on the bench press, jumped 27.50" in the vertical jump, and finished day one by leaping 8'3.00" in the broad jump.

One day later, he ran a 4.808 40-yard dash, a 7.56 in the 3-cone drill, and a 4.62 in the shuttle. Smith also turned heads in the one-on-one drills, catching the attention of scouts across the league.

His strong performance throughout the weekend saw him soar up the CFL Scouting Bureau Rankings, coming in at #4 in the final pre-draft list. Prior to then, he had not been ranked among the top 15 prospects.

Source: CFL.ca

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Statement from Quinn Smith and Coach Huff:

"I have been informed by the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) that the B sample result from an out-of-competition doping control test on Mar. 21 in Toronto has confirmed the presence of Stanozolol metabolite.

“I accept the consequences of the findings and will not be appealing. I would like to reiterate that I accept full responsibility for the result of the test. I assure everyone that it was not my intention to use a banned substance. I did not properly research the contents of supplements I obtained online and I will accept the consequences of not being as diligent and thorough as I should have been. The fault is mine alone.

“I apologize to the Canadian Football League, Canadian Interuniversity Sport, Concordia University and the Calgary Stampeders for the negative attention that has been resulted from this episode and can assure everyone that this will not happen again. I thank my family and friends for their continued support."

Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel

“After speaking to the young man, I believe his explanation of what took place. I am confident that he has learned from his error and that he will be much more careful in the future. I applaud Quinn for accepting responsibility for his mistake and I do not expect a reoccurrence of this situation.”

Under the provisions of the CFL’s drug policy and the league’s agreement with the CIS, Smith will enter the league with a first violation, which subjects him to mandatory testing.

http://www.stampeders.com/article/statement-by-quinn-smith-and-john-hufnagel

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Calgary Stampeders youngster trying to put steroid mess behind him
    Quinn Smith passed a lot of tests during his time at Concordia.
    But it was the one he failed earlier this month that turned his life upside down.
    The 6-foot-2, 305-pounder tested positive for Stanozolol, the same anabolic steroid that cost Ben Johnson his 100-metre gold medal at the 1988 Summer Games.
    Smith requested that his B sample also be tested. On Thursday, it was revealed the second sample also tested positive.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/05/2...ungster-trying-to-put-steroid-mess-behind-him

Stamps rookie admits he 'screwed up' in his supplement intake after testing positive for steroid
    The first day of CFL rookie camp hardly played out as Quinn Smith envisioned as a young football player dreaming of one day hitting the big time.
    Not an hour into his first professional practice with the Calgary Stampeders, the Concordia product announced via news release that his “B” sample from CFL combine drug testing once again revealed the presence of Stanozolol metabolite.
    It’s the same anabolic steroid sprinter Ben Johnson tested positive for at the 1988 Summer Olympics, which saw Canada stripped of the 100-metre gold medal.
    “I accept the consequences of the findings and will not be appealing,” Smith said in a written statement issued by the Stampeders as he ran around in the rain at McMahon Stadium. “I would like to reiterate that I accept full responsibility for the result of the test. I assure it everyone that it was not my intention to use a banned substance. I did not properly research the contents of supplements I obtained online, and I will accept the consequences of not being as diligent and thorough as I should have been.
    “The fault is mine alone.”
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...y+Stampeders+rookie+admits/9888727/story.html