News Rams RB Atlee Simon thrilled to be a member of the Calgary Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, May 9, 2018.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Regina Rams RB Atlee Simon is hoping to get booed when and if he trots onto the Mosaic Stadium turf on June 8.

If all goes well, Simon will come out onto the field wearing the red and white of the Calgary Stampeders when they are here for a pre-season game against the Riders.

“That’s a game I want to be a part of.” Simon confessed. “To be able to run out of the tunnel not wearing a Rams uniform would be a great experience and to play in front of friends and family in a CFL game would be a great honour. It will be worth it if I get booed.”

The 22-year-old was taken with the 50th overall pick in Thursday’s CFL draft by the Stamps.

Speaking from Guelph, Ontario where he was at an Athletes in Action function, Simon says his welcome to the Stampeders came from someone quite familiar to the Rams organization—Marc Mueller.

“It was pretty cool to hear Marc’s voice on the other end when they made the phone call.” Simon said. “He just phoned and said they were taking me. It was cool to have anothe Ram on the other end giving me the opportunity.”

Simon is excited at what his future could hold with the Stampeders especially knowing they have utilized Canadian running backs in the past with players like Jon Cornish and Jerome Messam.

“Before the draft started and looking at what teams I could succeed with, Calgary was on the radar because of what they have done. I think it’s a great fit because I know the city, it’s close to home. I know some of the guys and coaches there so it couldn’t have been better. ”

There has been talk the Stamps might want to utilize Simon more as a slotback which he says he is fine with after becoming more of a receiving threat with the Rams last season so he says if that is what they want to do, he is more than fine with that if it means cracking the roster.

The Thom Collegiate grad has spent four years with the Rams and has one season of eligibility left. In that time, he has set Rams all-time records for rushing yards at 2,943 rushing touchdowns at 20 and total touchdowns at 29.
    Link

Tags: