News RANGERS FIRE TORTORELLA AFTER SECOND ROUND PLAYOFF EXIT

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Seeker1, May 29, 2013.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

NEW YORK -- The Rangers fired combative coach John Tortorella on Wednesday, four days after New York was eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
    Tortorella was unexpectedly dismissed with one-year left on his contract. He led the Rangers to the Eastern Conference finals last year and into the second round this year before New York was eliminated in five games by the Boston Bruins.
    The fiery Tortorella, who was hired to replace Tom Renney in February 2009, achieved some success with the Rangers but couldn't match the Stanley Cup title he earned in 2004 with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
    A conference call with Rangers general manager Glen Sather was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. It wasn't immediately known if a coaching replacement would be named.
    Link

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Torts got fired? Ah, that's too bad. And he was such a nice fella. Always respected the fans & the media. Approachable, answered any question he was given. Showed patience. Great guy. ;)

3. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

I see that you tongue still remains quite sharp! ;)

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Naaaaah, I'm serious.... LOL! ;)

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

The funniest line after Torturella's firing was uttered by the floundering fool, Michael Landsberg of TSN. Mikey proferred that when Torts was working for TSN he repeatedly tormented Landsberg with the line that 'I hate your show and don't like you' over and over. O well, at least Torts was honest with someone!!! lol

6. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'll say this for him. He ain't never not said or done nothin' unkind to anybody he ain't never not met. Or somethin' like that.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Funny. Yesterday Torts appeared via satellite with Landsberg. Orders from central command in Vancouver I suspect!

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If this guy thinks the fans & media in Vancouver will put up with his bullshit attitude he's going to be in for a shock. The guy is a moron. He says he'll cultivate a relationship with the media? How long will that be for? A bad loss at home?? The guy is going to crack at some point & lash out & I hope when that happens the media eviscerates him. What a brutal hire.

9. Liske

Liske Member

Actually Torts should fit in quite well to the Canuck organization. They have a long history of colorful characters, both on and off ice. I still remember the Brian Burke days. There were a lot of battles between him and the Vancouver media.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Vancouver media will eat this guy alive. In Tampa, no one cared what Tortorlella did. In New York, the Rangers get very good coverage but the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Nicks & Nets are more popular. In Vancouver, the Canucks are king. He will have to watch his step. Can't wait for the first meltdown.